4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 8:25 AM by Mylenium

3D Background

deakant Level 1

Hi all,

I have AECS3 Pro, I am wanting to build a 3D space background with stars and planets etc, in Photoshop or in AE. I know how to turn the background layer into 3D. But how do I then turn the background layer into a circular 3D shape, so I can place the camera in the middle, so the camera can pan around in the centre of the background? Do I use CC Sphere?

Thank you

josel

• 1. Re: 3D Background
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

No, unfortunately CC Sphere is not among the 3D camera-aware effects.

To address needs like the one you describe, and other similar ones, Trapcode created the really, really handy Horizon plug-in.

• 2. Re: 3D Background
            deakant Level 1

Hi Adolfo Rozenfeld

I have seen it done before using AECS3, without no plugins, i'm sure it was on video co pilot somewhere. But thank you for your help. Horizon looks good, will try the demo.

Just annoying I did see it before god nows where though.

josel

• 3. Re: 3D Background
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Yes, josel. There are probably several ways to accomplish this (as it usually happens with almost everything, for that matter).

But nothing will be as straightforward as Horizon.

• 4. Re: 3D Background
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yepp, the technique is part of the Earth tuorial on VideoCo. It uses the lookAt() expression to tie the rotation of the sphere to the camera's movement. Depending on what you are after, it may be good enough, but I agree - Horizon is very affordable, requires no trickery at all and offers correct lens distortion based on a 3D camera. Should you happen to have the commercial version of the CC effects, called Cycore FX HD, you could also use the CC Environment effect.

Mylenium