4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 12:28 PM by Scott Falkner

Three Things

BGG001

Two of them regarding Windows 7 compatability (which are easy implementations that should either be "patched" despite the fact that it's not technically a broken thing, or included in the next release of Photoshop), and the other an actual feature inside Photoshop. I'll start with the most important to me, down to the least.

1. Auto-Save - arguments against this say that autosaving 300MB files is impractical. Well, quite frankly here's a solution for everyone...Have it set up like this: Have 3 different levels for autosaving and all of them being customizable. So I could set my autosaving up for <15MB files to autosave every 10 minutes, 15-50MB files autosave every 30 minutes, and >50MB files autosave every hour. Meanwhile, another user can have it set up so <10MB files autosave every 15 minutes, 10-30MB files autosave every 20 minutes, and >30MB files never autosave...while also preserving the ability to turn off the feature altogether.
      2. Windows 7 Jumplists - Obviously, I didn't expect this program to be feature rich in this area, but I want to see programs utilize this powerful feature. Currently, you can only see recent documents and things you've pinned: standard with most programs that weren't designed for it. Add the ability to create documents, or see the RAM useage from the jumplist; perhaps even integrate Photoshop into it so you can switch between open documents through jumplists if you want. There are many possibilities.
      3. Windows 7 Aero Snap - This is the ability to snap the window to the left or right side of the screen (or maximize by dragging to the top of the screen). Currently, Photoshop doesn't allow this, even Office 07 didn't support this feature correctly at first, until SP2 came out and they had a "fix" in there somewhere. This is a really minor issue, but it's a useful feature nonetheless.

I primarily want to emphasize Auto-Save though. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Three Things
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

The problem with auto-save is this … Photoshop files are not small vector files, they are generally too large for this. So that autosaving unannounced, at intervals, would create an unwanted slowdown - while the hard drive (or even server) rattles away. In practice this would be more of an irritation for most users than anything else.

I think the other two requests, for Windows users, would be useful. Maybe, eventually as a built in part of Windows 7 they will introduce "customizable jump-lists" in … maybe 2020. If your lucky.

• 2. Re: Three Things
            BGG001 Level 1

That's why I suggested the option to change the frequency that it autosaves based on the size of the file. And for those who it absolutely wouldn't be useful to, there's always turning it off.

I'll simply ignore the last half, it was mindless dribble.

• 3. Re: Three Things
              jjprofits5

I've read some articles about this Windows 7 and it is very interesting. Hope i can used that OS soon.

• 4. Re: Three Things
                Scott Falkner Level 6

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

…autosaving unannounced, at intervals, would create an unwanted slowdown - while the hard drive (or even server) rattles away. In practice this would be more of an irritation for most users than anything else.

I think the other two requests, for Windows users, would be useful. Maybe, eventually as a built in part of Windows 7 they will introduce "customizable jump-lists" in … maybe 2020. If your lucky.

That's not necessary. I can copy large files in the background in one application while working in Photoshop unbothered. Leopard is regularly using Time Machine to perform scheduled backups over my network without interfering with Photoshop's performance. Photoshop could back up the current file without slowing down the user, if only Adobe made that feature a priority and directed their programmers to make it so.

I would not want Autosaving, with the original file saved over. That has "trouble" written all over it. A copy of the image with a suffix in the filename saved to the same directory would be much safer.