8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 10:09 AM by the_wine_snob

XMP when sharing video

jameslaur

Hey everybody.  I am fairly new and am trying to 'Share' my video, but the share function keeps seperating my video (MPEG) from a audio and creating a file that has a xmp extension.  Can you tell me why it is doing this, and how I can get them together?

On aside, the video is fairly huge, and I have been trying to 'export' but I don't think that my PC can handle it cause I keep getting a 'fail' saying that Adobe cannot compile video.

Thanks for the help.

James

• 1. Re: XMP when sharing video
          Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you tell us a bit more?

What is your operating system, how much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive?

What are the source files for your video project? If video, what type of camcorder did it come from? If photos, did you resize the photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels?

Finally, what type of file are you trying to share your video as, and what settings did you use to share it?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: XMP when sharing video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

James,

The reason that you are seeing the files that you are, is because of the failure of the system to complete the process. When Exporting/Sharing to a muxed file (one file that contains both the Audio and the Video), they are initially created as separate files. There are up to three "helper" files, though you may only get one of those, during the process. The XMP and often XMPES files tell the system how to combine the Audio and Video files into one. If the process did complete, the two individual files, plus the helper file(s) would disappear, and you would be left with one muxed file per your settings. One can watch this happen, if they have Windows Explorer open to the destination folder, while the Export/Share is taking place. In your case, the process stops, so you are left with the pieces, prior to combining.

Now, Steve has asked some very important questions, to help find out why your system is not allowing the creation of the muxed file to complete.

The common issues are:

1.) Inadequate HDD space for the process. As you can see, the files created in the process are rather large, and there are more of them, than what you will end up with. PE needs room to work. That is the reason that this forum recommends so much free, defragmented HDD space.

2.) System problems:

A.) This can be overheating, as the process is CPU intensive. This often leads to a system reboot

B.) Bad RAM

C.) Issues with your Page File (Windows Virtual Memory) - goes back to #1 above

D.) MoBo issues

The answers to Steve's questions will get everyone started on the troubleshooting path, and may even contain the answer to the problem immediately. For more indepth trouble shooting, you might want to see this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and let us know the answers to Steve's questions, please,

Hunt

[Edit] PS Welcome to the forum

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - added PS

• 3. Re: XMP when sharing video
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>video is fairly huge

DV AVI type 2 files (the kind I work with) are about 13Gig per hour... so I have 2 hard drives, an 80Gig C: drive for all software and a 100Gig (or 120gig, I use swap hardware) for all work files

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help - First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 4. Re: XMP when sharing video
                jameslaur Level 1

Hey Steve, thank you so much for your help.  I am sorry that I am so tardy in responding.  Here are the answers to your questions.  Any additional assistance would be great.

Operating System:   Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

RAM: 4 GB RAM

RAM Free: Physical - Total = 3.3g, Cached=1.4g, Free=17mb

Defrag Space: Not sure how to find this but I defrag frequently.

Source: Sony DCR - Video Cam - 29fps (Files were over 9GB)

Attempted File: All of the above.  I have tried .WMV (only captures video), AVI (seperated the xmp), MPEG (seperates the xmp)

I assume that the 'free' memory (which is what you were looking for is the issue.  If that is accurate, would you be willing to tell me how I can clean that up, or resolve.

Once again, thank you so much for all your help.

James

• 5. Re: XMP when sharing video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

James,

Welcome back to the forum.

From your system specs, I don't immediately see an issue.

Can you give us the full specs on your Share/Export settings. There might be a clue there, as to why your resulting file is not being muxed (combined Audio & Video). What you are ending up with is basically the intermediate step. You get the elemental streams, and the XMP (basically instructions for combining the two streams into one). If one Exports to a muxed file, and open Windows Explorer to the folder, where the Export is directed, they will see the creation of the two elemental streams, plus the "instruction" file, and then see these disappear, as the final Export file is "assembled." It's that "assembly," that is not taking place in your case.

Have you had any error messages, such as "Low on Resources," or "Memory Errors?"

Do not remember if I linked to this already, but you might get some tips, on setting up your computer for an editing session in this ARTICLE.

Now, back to the defragged free space. You defrag regularly, but how much free space do you have on the HDD, to which you are Exporting? In My Computer, you can Rt-click on that HDD, and choose Properties. That will tell you how much free space is available. Because the two elemental streams are first created (takes up a lot of space), it could be that there is not enough additional space to create the muxed version, so you end up with a partial Export - elemental streams, instructions file and no muxed final output. Just guessing here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: XMP when sharing video
                    jameslaur Level 1

You nailed it.  That is exactly what is going on for me.

I read your article, good stuff.  Can you tell me how to run MSCONFIG?

I have about 500Gb left on my HDD, so I think I have plenty. 

Export Settings for MPEG (my desired)

NTSC DVD Standard

720/480, 29.97, Aud 192kbps, 48khz, Dolby,

VBR, 1 pass, min 1.50, target 6.00, max 8.0

Multiplexxing DVD

Estimated file size = 771kb

Once again, thank you so much for the help.

J

• 7. Re: XMP when sharing video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I have about 500Gb left on my HDD, so I think I have plenty.

You are correct. That is plenty of free space, so that is not the issue. One theory down!

Export Settings for MPEG (my desired)

NTSC DVD Standard

720/480, 29.97, Aud 192kbps, 48khz, Dolby,

VBR, 1 pass, min 1.50, target 6.00, max 8.0

Multiplexxing DVD

Estimated file size = 771kb

Looks good to me, and Multiplexing is set correctly. Theory two down!

Can you tell me how to run MSCONFIG?

From Start>Run, just type MSCONFIG and you will get a tabbed dialog screen. The first place to look is Startup (might be slightly different syntax, depending on one's OS and version). One of the beauties of using MSCONFIG is that you do not eliminate anything, only stop them from loading at bootup. When you reboot, you will get a message screen telling you that you running in "Diagnostic Mode," or similar syntax. You can check to "Don't show this screen," but I would leave it up, as it will give you ready access to the MSCONFIG dialog screen, should you need to change something back. Once you have tested (you do not want to disable something necessary) and are certain that your changes are good ones, you want that little "safety net." Even though I do this for every computer in my studio, and often again, after installing some programs, I leave it as a pop-up for about a week, just to A.) remind me that I have run MSCONFIG, and B.) give me a quick, easy way to make changes, should something else fail to run.

You might have to do a bit of research as to what some of these programs and Processes are, unless you are familiar with each. Programs like iTunes Helper are easy to identify. Some others are extremely cryptic, and I have to Google them, or Search my computer to see just what they are.

As a slight aside, one Process, that I normally eliminate is Bonjour Services. On my workstation, I have eliminated it (it's still there, but unchecked). On my laptop, I disabled it, and found that one of my other programs needed it to function (forget exactly which one that was), so I had to re-enable it. Again, that is one of the beauties of MSCONFIG - the programs & Processes are still there, just unchecked, so I can go back an check them, if I find that they ARE needed on that computer.

Also note, some programs & Processes, like MSN Messenger, will re-enable themselves, with OS updates and hot-fixes, so you have to go back and uncheck them with every update. Others, like SpySweeper, will re-enable themselves for Startup, if you run them from the Desktop. Just something to remember.

Good luck, and I'll keep thinking about why your files are not muxing. Seems that you have plenty of room, have the proper settings, but are getting a partial Export. Just in case you're not giving the program enough time. please do a test: with your same setup, do an Export. When all progress bars are gone, and you think that the Export has completed, go get a cup of coffee, or tea. Give things about 30 mins (that is way longer than one should have to wait, but this is just a test), and come back, just to see if the operation has completed with a muxed file.

Also, in the Export dialog screen, there should be tabs for Audio and Video, plus Multiplexing, IIRC (I often get confused on PrE vs PrPro, so check me out). Look carefully at each tab and make sure that Multiplexing (muxing) IS set on each tab. In PrPro CS4, it seems that there was another location in the tabs, that was added, and it had to also be checked, or a radio button hit, to get the full Multiplexing. This threw a lot of folk, who were used to only having to check it in one place.

Something is stopping Multiplexing for completing, and the task is to find out what it is.

I'll also poke around a bit with my versions. Normally, I am Exporting to elemental streams, so I seldom do use Multiplexing. For me, I have it turned OFF for most Exports.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: XMP when sharing video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

While we're testing, under the Multiplexer tab, change Multiplexing to "MPEG2" from "DVD," and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck,

Hunt