• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 More Numbering issues

Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

With RH8 I have so far been able (with the help of the Forum and the Peter Grainge website) to create new stepped paragraphs which can number consecutively even when other paragraphs are placed in between. Fine so far. Now I would like to find out how to have the ability to re-start the numbering further down the page so if I have multiple procedures in the same topic.

For example

Heading - Procedure 1

1. text text text

2. text text

3. etc

Heading - Procedure 2

1. text

2. text

3. text etc

Heading - Procedure 3

etc etc

When I used framemaker previously I used to create a stepfirst paragraph style which always numbered 1, subsequent step paras numbered following the step first. As well as that one was able to interupt the sequence of paragraphs withoput adverse effect. This is kind of what I have in mind but I don't know how to code the numbering in the relevant RH8 dialog.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

I am not going to advocate that you should use this as some people have had issues. What I am saying is that this is what this feature was intended for so see if it works for you.

There's more in the List page at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2009 Jul 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is just a case of inserting a new list and selecting the Start at 1 option.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Please can you tell me what menu option etc are you using to "add a new list" and where would I find the "start at 1 option"

So far I had created a paragraph style and then using the bullets and numbering button obtained the second of the following 2 screens...

Image1.gif

Image2.gif

I set the numbering as shown in the screen above. If I have a series of paragraphs formatted like this they're interuptable but if I want to reset the start number further I tried right click and bullets and numbering which just made the number dissapears!

It looks like I'm failing to understand how to create stepped instructions in RH8...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click the multi level list icon and you will get a dialog allow you to set the start number.

multilevel.jpg

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not trying to tread on Peter's toes here, but I know I'd have a hard time locating the icon. Perhaps this image will help to provide context.

Click to view larger image.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, have located the icon, but as per my last entry maybe I was going about this the wrong way. Ideally I want to just use paragraph styles without using the number or bullet buttons as this smacks of hardcoding...But people seem to be leaning more towards the buttons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not going to advocate that you should use this as some people have had issues. What I am saying is that this is what this feature was intended for so see if it works for you.

There's more in the List page at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK thanks, I think I can now see the available options. Originally I came from  a Framemaker background and so was used to paragraph styles for numbering hence my lines of questioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter that works after a fashion. The dots after each step number in my stepnumber para style don't appear though.

Would I be right in thinking that rather than create a stepnumber para style with number included as part of the style you're advocating using the multi level list button on clusters of normal paragraphs that one wants to turn into lists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp