11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 10:30 AM by Paevo Kelley

Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?

pup500 Level 1

This is a poll.

Did you start out making graphics as a Fireworks user, or migrate from another graphics program like Photoshop?

• 1. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
          pup500 Level 1

I started w/ Photoshop, switched to FW for vector capabilities.

• 2. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

I started out with Corel Draw.

• 3. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
              Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

I started working with FW which made me wanna be a web designer and i don't think i could be one if i was looking to learn photoshop.

(Then started to learn some html and css.)

• 4. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                Paevo Kelley Level 2

I started with PS and Image Ready; nearly drove me insane; fortunately made the jump to FW and have been feelin' fine ever since...

• 5. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Ps + ImageReady.

When they dropped ImageReady, I latched onto  Fw.

h

• 6. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                    pixlor Level 4

What's with this "switching" business?

This poll is similar to the question, "Did you start with a hammer, or did you switch from another tool?"

I use all kinds of graphics apps. I've even been known to use MS Paint. Sometimes, I use non-graphics apps to make bases for graphics via screen capture. I wouldn't want to pound in a nail with a saw or cut wood with a hammer. It's good to know multiple applications!

The more the merrier!

• 7. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                      SiamJai Level 2

pixlor wrote:

What's with this "switching" business?

This poll is similar to the question, "Did you start with a hammer, or did you switch from another tool?"

I use all kinds of graphics apps. I've even been known to use MS Paint. Sometimes, I use non-graphics apps to make bases for graphics via screen capture. I wouldn't want to pound in a nail with a saw or cut wood with a hammer. It's good to know multiple applications!

The more the merrier!

Totally agree with you, Lorraine! It's good not to have oneself restricted to just one tool.

To answer the other half of the OP's question, yes, I did start out with Fireworks and it has been my primary tool of choice ever since. Other design tools have "sneaked in" later on, but I can't say anything about switching either.

• 8. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                        pup500 Level 1

ah-ha... I've seen this reaction before on forums. Your opinion is expressed by veterans, mine is expressed by newbies.

Do you remember when you first started and it was maybe overwhelming?

I'm trying to cut down the quantity of things that require learning because it takes too much of my time. I can see the value in knowing multiple tools -- more flexibility. But, that comes at the cost of time, money, and energy. I'd love to know EVERY program! But, I'd rather master just a couple.

Myself and others I've seen are trying to find out the trade-offs that are at stake when selecting one app over another.

But the notion of just learning everything is enticing... surely.

• 9. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                          pixlor Level 4

But every program has MANY similarities.

• Start with the basic menus for file opening and saving, edits (Ctrl-Z for undo)
                          • Selections: (Ctrl-A for all), bitmaps have magic wands and lasso tools
                          • You can zoom in and out and move around in your document
                          • Color selections are similar, RGB or HSL, sometimes CMYK. Values maybe 0-100, or 0-255, or even in hex
                          • Vector objects (including text objects) have a fill and a stroke
                          • Bitmap manipulation includes modifying brightness&contrast as well as color
                          • Layers are common
                          • Masking is common
                          • Vector objects can be combined: joined/added or subtracted

The differences between programs are in the names of the tools, the organizations of the menus, and in the advanced operations that are available in the more specialized programs. For example, Fireworks is a hybrid vector-bitmap editing program, so it has some tools for manipulating both vector objects and bitmap programs. However, Illustrator, or other specilaized vector-editing programs will have more capabilites with vector objects than FW. Similarly, Photoshop or another dedicated photo or bitmap editor will have other capabilities FW doesn't have.

Instead of thinking in terms of "now I use this tool," think in terms of what you want to accomplish and then look for how that might be done. Along the way, you'll discover the other special capabilities of each program you use.

• 10. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                            vanCarabas

I just stumbled across fireworks because it was part of the web design suite. What I do like is the possibility to make a quick prototype with some navigation in place, and it combines bitmaps and vectors. It will not take too long to learn. The only thing is that there is sometimes a somewhat odd behaviour you have learn to live with.

I especially do like that:

- you are not tempted to add too much functionality into the prototype because it is not possible, so you stick to your main purpose

- you can modify images within FW without switching to a other tool requiring exports, imports, files which distract you.

• 11. Re: Did you start w/ Fireworks, or switch from another app?
                              Paevo Kelley Level 2

"I'm trying to cut down the quantity of things that require learning because it takes too much of my time."

I think it's safe to say that this attitude won't get you very far in web design; you must always keep learning in order to keep up with the latest trends; this is actually what I find most intriguing about it as a career...