3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 8:50 AM by the_wine_snob

World of Warcraft Codec

SamTay245

Heya,

I was wondering if anybody knew a good codec for rendering World of Warcraft gameplay, I obviously want a low file size while having great video quality. If anybody has any information or tips I could use I'd really appreciate it!

• 1. Re: World of Warcraft Codec
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

World of Warcraft is a popular game, so there may be an established way outlined in their forums regarding capturing video of gameplay.

If not... You can always download the free 30 day trial of Camtasia Studio. This program does an excellent job capturing whatever is on your screen. It uses their "Techsmith" codec. This codec installs on your system when you install Camtasia studio and allows you to import AVI files exported from Camtasia Studio into Premiere for editing.

Once you have edited the video, you can then export to any format available to Adobe's Media Encoder.

• 2. Re: World of Warcraft Codec
            SamTay245 Level 1

Thanks alot Charles I've been using Fraps to record for the past while, the only problem is when I render my file it either comes out at some insanely huge file size or a small file size with poor quality. Fraps itself records the game perfectly, it's just finding that right codec in premiere to render it at a good quality / file size I'm looking for. I'll try out the software you recomended and see if that makes a difference.

• 3. Re: World of Warcraft Codec
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              the only problem is when I render my file it either comes out at some insanely huge file size or a small file size with poor quality. Fraps itself records the game perfectly, it's just finding that right codec in premiere to render it at a good quality / file size I'm looking for.

This is an age-old problem. As you have found, large file size = better quality. Smaller file sizes = lower quality. Getting that exact balance is tough, has been and will always be.

One delivery scheme that you might want to consider would be to do all editing (once the proper capture software and its settings have been determined), and then Export to a larger file size, using as low a compression as is possible. Next, take that resulting file and encode via the DivX CODEC (will need to be done with the DivX encoder, as I do not think that PrPro can use it natively to Export). This will mean that for anyone to play the resulting file, they will need the DivX, or Xvid CODEC installed, or a player that has it built in. Remember, the resulting file will be for delivery/viewing and NOT for editing. DivX does a pretty good job of comprssing the file down, but still keeping the quality high. This will be an extra step in the workflow, but should yield good results.

Here is also a link to an ARTICLE by Dan Isaacs on using Camtasia, or CamStudio.

Good luck,

Hunt