5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 9:49 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Gradient mask in AI CS2?

Paevo Kelley Level 2

I would like to create a gradient mask; in FL or FW it takes about 2 seconds, though in AI I can't find anything in the help menu. Also, these forums absolutely suck; what is the point of not being able to search individual forums?

Any help would be appreciated; I'm at the point of copying and pasting the FW file in AI and being done with it; damned print media...

• 1. Re: Gradient mask in AI CS2?
          Scott Falkner Level 5

What you want is an Opacity Mask. Draw the gradient over the object or group to mask, select everything, then select Make Opacity Mask in the Transparency panel.

Picture 1.png

You can use just about anything for an opacity mask, including gradient mesh, a group of drawn objects, a placed image, r even the result of another opacity mask. It's incredibly versatile, but quite cumbersome.

• 2. Re: Gradient mask in AI CS2?
            Paevo Kelley Level 2

Thanks, Scott; I guess they just never bothered to call it a gradient mask; I have used this technique to create the glassy web 2.0 look; it involves pasting the original layer in front of the gradient layer, then grouping with the gradient and creating the opacity mask; a major pain in the rear...

• 3. Re: Gradient mask in AI CS2?
              Scott Falkner Level 5

You might want to upgrade to version 14.

Picture 1.png

Transparency can be added to specific stops along a gradient. You can't use this as an alternative to Opacity Masks for images or groups, just for single fills.

• 4. Re: Gradient mask in AI CS2?
                Paevo Kelley Level 2

That's a nice, albeit somewhat minor, improvement for a broke web designer...

• 5. Re: Gradient mask in AI CS2?
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Paevo Kelley wrote:

That's a nice, albeit somewhat minor, improvement for a broke web designer...

This might be an upgrade that would be worth your while to consider the artboard feature makes life a little more tolerable for you since you can work on say multiple objects and if you build your design in Illustrator multiple site pages all in one document and the ability to export any one of them at will also
                  it provides you the opportunity of dragging and dropping between, what in your version is different documents, different artboards in the same document.

You much more easily share symbols, graphic styles, brushes, swatches etc, without ever leaving you document you can even jump to a specific artboard with the artboard selector at the bottom of the frame.

For you this might be a vast improvement and give you more time to promote yourself.

Gradient masks though is a nice feature request.