4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 4:56 PM by Starsail1979

Text/Type size in browser.

Starsail1979
      How do you know what is the standard viewing size of the text/type in you browser is? I ask this question which seems like a stupid question but i feel it has a large amount of validity when you are designing your CSS. When you use the make text bigger/smaller function in safari how do you know how to reset the size of text (default) as there is no percentage view. I know it's a strange one but i'd like your thoughts, opinions and advice please, as always i am grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Stu
        • 1. Re: Text/Type size in browser.
          Maneet Puri Level 2

Hello Stu,

A strange but interesting question, as far as I know the browsers just allow you to set the font size as small, medium, large etc and how they manipulate is by finding a proportionate size defined by the CSS and the setting of the browsers. I am not sure but i think for the smallest type setting the size is 10 pixels, which varies as per the default font defined for showing the text incase of no font is defined in the web page.

If in your web page you have not defined any size for the text then the browser will show the text in the size using the setting of the browser for text size.

Regards,

Maneet
          LeXolution IT Services

• 2. Re: Text/Type size in browser.
            Level 7
            On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:47:32 +0000 (UTC), "The Athay"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>When you use
            >the make text bigger/smaller function in safari how do you know how to reset
            >the size of text (default) as there is no percentage view.

I don't know if it's the same on the Mac version, but in the Windows
            version of Safari, click View->Make text normal size.

Gary
            • 3. Re: Text/Type size in browser.
              Level 7
              .oO(The Athay)

>How do you know what is the standard viewing size of the text/type in you
              >browser is? I ask this question which seems like a stupid question but i feel
              >it has a large amount of validity when you are designing your CSS. When you use
              >the make text bigger/smaller function in safari how do you know how to reset
              >the size of text (default) as there is no percentage view. I know it's a
              >strange one but i'd like your thoughts, opinions and advice please, as always i
              >am grateful for your advice.

Depends on the browser. In Opera you just have to press *, in FF it's
              ctrl-0 (zero). And good browsers _do_ show the percentage. ;-)

Of course the default size may also depend on the font settings in the
              browser. Good browsers allow to define a minimum font size for example.

Micha
              • 4. Re: Text/Type size in browser.
                Starsail1979 Level 1
                Thanks Guys