10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 11:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Noob Question 8: Performance Wall

Suntower Level 1

Uh oh.

I just reached a point in my fabulous, world changing 1st music video which smells a lot like I've hit a performance wall. Up until yesterday's work, playback was -always- super smooth. Jumping to -any- location in the 5 minutes video was slick.

At some point at the end of the day, I noticed that...

a. Loading the project is a lot slower

b. Sometimes (just sometimes) the playback is stuttered (though the rendered DVD is fine).

c. Sometimes (just sometimes) playback doesn't begin when I hit Spacebar. I have to hit it twice to get it to go.

I have a quad core FSB 1300 box on XP SP3 with 4GB DDR800 RAM and one SATA 300 HD. I am using the crappy built-in mobo video card.

-Most- of the source clips are on this box but -some- are on a network drive on Ethernet 100.

Have I 'hit the wall' or am I pre-emptively whining? If I am getting near a wall, what's the next step? A second HD for just the data? Would moving -all- source files to the local drive help?

I read the FAQ on this, so I think I know some answers, but I'm a bit surprised that I'm running into this with such a puny (yet astoundingly wonderful) project.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

---JC

• 1. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, with your setup it is no wonder you get limited performance, specially when your project grows and gets more complex.

Have a look at these guides, specially the one about storage.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 2. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
            Suntower Level 1

Can you be a -bit- more specific? My understanding is that 32 bit apps can't use more than 4GB ram so I stopped there. I can certainly get a 2nd HD. Is the video card -also- a likely suspect or is that secondary?

Again, it's a 5 minute video, few effects, no After Effects gimmicks  and certainly not Citizen Kane, so I am a -bit- surprised.

---JC

• 3. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Music videos often have a lot of different clips. OK they are not long but they all reside on different locations on your hard disk and that makes it taxing. For video editing at least three disks are advised. This is all explained in the Storage guide, hence my link. Your video card will not be a problem, unless it is from the previous century. The two main performance factors, given at least 2 GB of RAM, will be CPU and disk speed. A single disk will not do.

• 4. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                Suntower Level 1

Got it.

Just out of curiosity... If you have 3 disks as per your article,

C: OS

E: Scratch Disk

F: Clips/Projects

1. where does one put the PageFile? On the E: drive?

2. When you say 'Scratch Disk' do you mean specifically the Media Cache and Media Cache DB in the options page? Are there -other- 'scratch' files and if so, how does one specify their location(s)?

3. If one only has -2- drives, is it better to combine C and E or E and F?

4. Is 10k 'better' than 7200? In the audio world, anything above 7200 is usually not the best use of money... Drive cache size is far more important. Is that the case with video? IOW: is 32mb important vs. 16?

BTW: Nice tux.

---JC

• 5. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

1. E

2. In project settings/scratch disks

3. E & F

4. 10K disks (Velociraptor) are only marginally faster than 7200/32 disks, but way more expensive in $/GB. For OS a Velociraptor makes sense, for scratch and media you are better off with 7200/32 disks.

• 6. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    -some- are on a network drive on Ethernet 100.

I could easily believe that might cause these issues, depending on other network traffic.

• 7. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                      Suntower Level 1

FWIW: The networked clips were indeed a problem. Not with rendering, but with playback. When I moved these to a local drive, playback begins without any hiccoughs.

---JC

• 8. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Look into adding two more HDD's and allocate them per Harm's article. You will be back to editing and enjoying it.

Fry's (Western US retailer) just had Seagate ATA-300 1TB 7200RPM units for US$89. The SATA II's will obviously be more, but not THAT much more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                          Suntower Level 1

I ended up getting two 7200/32 WDs for $59 ea. and a Gigabyte dual-head 512MB nVidia card for $30. Installed. Editing is -much- better.

Frankly, the biggest help was your suggestion to get a 2nd monitor. Moving the playback monitor onto it's own screen has changed my life. The new HDs may be helping a little, but that was huge.... that and getting all the clips off the network and onto the local drive.

Thanks,

---JC

• 10. Re: Noob Question 8: Performance Wall
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and I'm glad that it's working out for you.

I would not give up my dual 21" for anything, except maybe dual Apple Cine 30" monitors. While I love editing by the pool on my laptop, even with a 17" very sharp display, the danged screen real estate is a hassle. Been using the dual-heads for too long to go back.

Good luck,

Hunt