0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 11:27 AM by daprezjer

Optimization for Flash video (.flv) delivered to me

daprezjer

So I'm a bit new to Flash video.  I was given a .flv file and told to put it on the web.  It's a 9 minute, fairly large presentation.  I know how to create a .swf file for it, and plop the .swf file, .flv file, javascript file and skin on the server, and watch it go.  For me, this particular file works fine.  But apparently for my clients, it takes forever to load (even though they have cable internet, it must be crappy).  So I'm going to have to reduce the file size/reduce load time.

So here's my question.  I know when I'm saving the .swf file that I can change it's layout size, quality, etc.  But that's not really reducing the file size/load times of the actual file, is it, since the .swf is just "pulling in" the full .flv file?  I can't really experiment to see if this is the case because it loads quickly for me in any case.  If I'm right about this, how would I go about reducing the file size of the actual .flv file?  I have Flash CS3.  I don't see a way of directly editing the .flv file (layout size, quality, etc.).  I've heard of external software that's supposed to be able to reduce .flv file sizes, but it seems like I should be able to do this in Flash.  I'd rather not bother the AV people who originally sent me the file, but if you think this is the way to go, please let me know.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track.  Thanks!