3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 1:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Export to WMV files producing very poor quality

Rejfly Level 1

Hello! I am a complete novice to Premiere Pro and Encore (I have and am working in CS3).

Our video editors are both out of the office this week, and I was asked to step in and create a windows media file of a video for use in PowerPoint.

I googled how to do this, followed the steps, created the file, and included in the PowerPoint.

However, the image quality was poor and goes completely pixely in at least 3 parts of the video.

Any idea why it might be doing this....and what settings I should adjust?

Please help...this wmv file is needed tomorrow, and I have no idea how to fix!

• 1. Re: Export to WMV files producing very poor quality
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not provided the information needed for anyone to be able to help... try

PPro Troubleshooting http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

Read all the way through, and answer the questions at the end when you come back

If your source file is DV AVI Type 2 you might also download the free program from Microsoft and create your WMV with that

• 2. Re: Export to WMV files producing very poor quality
            Rejfly Level 1

As mentioned, I am a complete novice to Premiere, Encore, and actually to video editing in general.

I don't usually do this...our two video editors are both out this week...so I am doing my best to try to create this file.

I used their Premiere project file to create the WMV file.

I opened in Premiere and used Export...to Adobe Media Encoder.

Adobe Media Encoder appeared to work fine.

I used the default settings, except that I changed the frame size to 720 by 480, as the video needs to run full screen.

Hard Drive space is not an issue, as I am working with a very large external hard drive.

I'm not sure what other information you may need.

Please keep in my mind that this program is totally foreign to me. I spend most of my time in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.

I am simply stepping in and doing my best to help meet a deadline,...with very, very little knowledge of how to do this.

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Export to WMV files producing very poor quality
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              used the default settings, except that I changed the frame size to 720 by 480, as the video needs to run full screen.

Do you know what the Project's Preset was to begin with? You can probably get close, if the editor did things correctly, by going to the Project Panel, Rt-clicking on one of the Video Assets (files) and choosing Properties - about the middle of the list. That would give the original Image Size, plus other aspects. Make note, or do a screen-cap of the Properties dialogue screen.

Depending on what that reveals, we may need for you to make complete notes, or screen-caps of the Export dialogue box, to see all of the settings chosen.

Good luck,

Hunt