11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 1:18 PM by GDrink9085

Fonts suddenly messed up

GDrink9085 Level 1

Help!  All of a sudden my drop-down list of fonts is all messed up. No longer in alphabetical order. Sometimes it claims fonts aren't there -- (that's when I uninstalled, and reinstalled 7.0) .  I even noticed it didn't give me the option of printing to my normal Adobe Acrobat choice any more.

I'm starting a MAJOR project this week and can't afford to be struggling with this software that I have used for so many years.

I have not added any new software in at least 2 months. I have not installed any new fonts recently.

Any ideas of what might be going on?   Or what I might be able to do to get it working like it used to.

Thanks in advance for anything you can come up with!

• 1. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
          Bill Byers-vOIlWw Level 1

Do you have Illustrator CS2 installed? There was a known issue when CS2 first came out - see this knowledgebase article:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332197.html

When it happened to us, the first solution given in the KB article did the trick (delete the 2 .fon files listed)

-Bill

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
            Level 4

PM does not manage fonts. It only uses fonts that are active on the computer.

Fonts should be managed with a Font manager. FontAgent Pro is the best.

• 3. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
              BigJohnD Level 3

Mac or more likely Windows?

Do you use a Font Manager, e.g. ATM Deluxe?

1. Search for all files using the string  AdobeFnt*.lst, and delete them.  (Rename them if you're cautious)
              2. Exit PM, trash the PM Prefrences.  (Rename them if you're cautious)  PM will rebuild them when next loaded.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to investigate further.

Iechyd da! John
              16:43 09/07/2009 BST

• 4. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                GDrink9085 Level 1

Your first step did not work...I was SO hopeful. But then I read further options and before un-installing CS2 Illustrator, I looked at the print settings for the document.  Although it was set to go to my HP laser printer, it was using an Acrobat Distiller PPD!   So, changed the PPD and voila!  The fonts are all in alphabetical order again!

I have saved the information on the linked page you sent just in case this doesn't hold!

Now if I could only figure out why InDesign CS2 doesn't like to import ANY of my Pagemaker files  (both 6.5 and 7.0 files)....then I'd be more eager to shift over finally into 21st century software!  Though I love my PageMaker!

Gail

• 5. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                  Level 4

GDrink9085 wrote:

Now if I could only figure out why InDesign CS2 doesn't like to import ANY of my Pagemaker files  (both 6.5 and 7.0 files)....then I'd be more eager to shift over finally into 21st century software!  Though I love my PageMaker!

Gail

Gail don't import just open them. File > Open.

Now that's not so hard. Welcome to the 21st century.

• 6. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                    GDrink9085 Level 1

Sorry - spoke wrong. I did try to open them (in CS2).  Then when that didn't work, I tried to see if "placing" them was an option (it wasn't).

So...I've downloaded it all, but now have to decide to I take this leap of faith and start this project in it....or do I wait to start my 30 day trial until after I've completed the project?

Just don't want to install CS4 and end up with more system conflicts!

Can you tell I'm a little gun-shy?

• 7. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                      Level 4

If you want to send me a file you can't open to let me have a look I can do that for you. just let me know the exact version the file is. IDCS2 should be able to open any PM 6, 6.5, or 7 file. My email is in my profile zip the file first.

• 8. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                        GDrink9085 Level 1

buko -

Thanks for your offer. Please check your email when you are able.  My "simple" little file is on its way to you.

• 9. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A little late here, but I assume you now know that you can't open PM file with CS2 on XP SP3 or Vista.

Bob

• 10. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                            GDrink9085 Level 1

That's correct. I do know that my Pagemaker files CAN be opened in CS2 (thank you Buko for testing that for me)...and he was able to convert a very small file for me into CS2 and send it to me.

The problem is - I have a LOT of PageMaker files from over the years and some very large projects that are in them that get re-done every 4 months or so. I guess I need to know if I upgrade to CS4, will the files open up in that even though I have XP, Service pack 3.

• 11. Re: Fonts suddenly messed up
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, CS3 and CS4 do not suffer from that problem.

Bob