34 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 5:57 AM by A709

PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected

A709

XP-Pro/2GB RAM/Quad Q6600/SATAII disks

After fiddling around with various settings, I have now got the program to edit AVCHD reasonably reliably, and have edited a 8 minute film with AVCHD 1920 x 1080 footage plus a few 10MPx JPEG stills.

I created rolling end-titles which work OK. I now want to make some changes to the titles. As soon as I select the rolling title the program crashes and exits. I have tried creating a new title rather than editing the existing, and even starting a new project with only the title. The result is always the same.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
          Paul_LS Level 4

Not sure if it is impacting the titles crashing but AVCHD is a big resource hog and 10MP jpegs are way to big... a few of these and your project would be on the edge of running out of memory resourses. You really need to resize them to somewhere near the project frame size... 1920x1080 before bringing them into your project.

• 2. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, I'd recommend you reduce those stills to something more like 2000 pixels wide. Nothing kills this program faster than oversize photos -- and 10 megapixel photos are as much as 25 times the size you need for video!

Then, before you try to add a title, render your project. In fact, render your project often.

See all the red lines above your clips on the timeline? Those indicate soft renders, which tend to lug your system. Rendering (press Enter) will turn those lines green and the program will be able to work much more efficiently.

The FAQs to the right of this program also offer a tweak for getting more efficient use of your RAM.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446316?tstart=0

You might also consider adding another couple gigabytes or RAM.

• 3. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As the overly large stills have been addressed, I'll add a thought on Titler crashing. In both PE and PrPro, when this happens, it is most likely a corrupt font, or one of several fonts that these two NLE's have real problems with.

Titler is extremely sensitive to any problem font. This is far more so than any other Adobe program, and more so that any program that I know of that uses fonts. The manifestation is usually a crash of Titler and it can bring down the whole program.

I use a utility, Font Doctor, by Extensis, to repair any font on my system. The freeware program, FontFrenzy, is both a font manager and a repair utility, but I have not used it. [Make sure that you click the right "Download" button, as there are ads on that Web page.]

Some programs load fonts that Titler just refuses to run with. Deja Vu, included in SunMicro Systems' Open Office is one. There are others, but I don't have the full list in front of me.

What is odd in your case, is that it just worked fine, and all of a sudden is not crashing. This normally only happens after a rogue font has been installed, though a font can become corrupted at any time. Still, the suddeness of this problem causes me to wonder.

One can manually trouble shoot corrupt fonts, but it is highly labor and time intensive. If you need the steps, let me know and I'll write them up for you. With over 11,000 fonts on my system (though with only a few hundred installed), you will see why I use a font utility for any problems.

Do not be fooled into thinking that it cannot be a font, as Word, Photoshop, Illustrator, et al, work fine. Titler is a different story and one bad font can bring it to its knees.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS for one workflow in still image resizing, you might find this ARTICLE of use.

• 4. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                A709 Level 1

Many thanks to all of you who have responded so promptly and helpfully.

Yes, I am mindful that AVCHD and big stills spell danger on the resource front. Although the stills are from a 10MPx camera, the actual size is probably nearer 5MPx, where 3 MPx might be appropriate for the video. So yes too big, but I don't think they are impacting on this particular problem. As has been pointed out (a) it has started happening suddenly; (b) the rolling title I have already created runs and renders fine - it is only when I try to edit it that it crashes everything, though I can time-stretch it OK; (c) if I start a new project and  have nothing in it, it still crashes when I select rollling title; (d) the font is the PRE 7 default font for this function; (e) while I am operating close to maximum resource capability nothing else crashes the program, or even seems close to doing so. The titler does it instantly.

I will experiment with using different fonts, and non-rolling titles and report.

• 5. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected

Again, if you are seeing a lot of red along the top of your timeline, you need to render your timeline to free up resources.

And, sorry, but oversized photos does indeed impact this program's performance -- perhaps more than anything else! We long-time users are well aware of it, which is why resizing your photos is always the first thing we recommend.

• 6. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                    A709 Level 1

Thanks for the help; I'll certainly do that and render more frequently. But since the problem occurs in exactly the same way in a project that is empty, the size of still photos etc must be irrelevant.

• 7. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected

If the program crashes even when empty, that would indicate outdated drivers or Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

• 8. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It's not just the use of a font that crashes Titler. A corrupt font that is installed will do it the instant that Titler is opened. Again, Titler is far more sensitive, than any other app that you are likely to have.

Now, an additional thought on Titler. It's actually a complete app, built into to PE. If one's system is near the edge, regarding resources, Titler can push it over th eedge. Titler is like having a mini-Illustrator and WordPerfect starting from within PE. Still, a corrupt font installed will crash it almost instantly every time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If PE is crashing with just the creation of a New Project, after you do update all drivers, per Steve's suggestion, you might find some clues from this ARTICLE in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                            A709 Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I use "Driver Detective" and update my drivers regularly, most recently about a week ago. Quicktime I check almost daily.

A corrupt font certainly looks a likely candidate, but if it is corrupt, how is it that the font in the title I have created doesn't crash the system. Is it somehow 'insulated' once it is in the Timeline?

Is the easiest solution just to run a repair of PRE7 from the original disk?

• 11. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What happens with Titler is that it loads a link to all fonts that are installed, so it can create a graphic of each one, should it be chosen. It is during this phase, that a corrupt font will crash Titler. It is not necessarily a font that has ever been used in a Title.

Now, as stated above, the timing puzzles me, as you were able to get Titler to function properly before and even created Titles with it. You've installed nothing that might also install a font, and have not made any real changes to your system. You don't have any programs like OpenOffice that has some bad fonts (bad for Titler) and have not installed any new fonts. This would mean that a font has become corrupted in the interim. Not common, but not impossible.

The trick to finding a bad font manually is that the process is very time consuming, and requires a touch of care in the process, because some fonts are "System Fonts," and as such need to be installed. Some are so important, that Windows will often fail to launch, if one of these is missing.

To manually find a corrupt, or bad font, you first get a list of your OS's System Fonts. You may have to Google for your particular OS, but can possibly find such a list on the MS Web site. Keep this list in front of you at all times. Now, here are the steps. In each, you will NOT uninstall any of the System Fonts - this can be very important, hence that list.

1.) With the waring above fresh in your mind, and the list at hand, uninstall half of your fonts from Control Panel>Fonts (or similar, per your OS). Open PE and then Titler. Does it crash?

A.) if it crashes, then that half of your fonts are probably good. Reinstall them, and remove the other half.

B.) if it runs, then one (or more) of the fonts in that half is possibly corrupt. You will only reinstall half of that half and test again.

2.) If you got 1-A above. You will repeat with the removal of the other half and test again.

3.) if you got 1-B above. You will keep replacing half of what you removed at a time, and test.

4.) continue until you have narrowed the half of a half of a half down to just a few fonts. Now you can reinstall them one at a time, testing between each reinstallation, until Titler crashes upon launch. If you keep getting crashes, then you keep removing half of the remaining until you get no crashes and then begin with reinstalling half of that batch that was removed, until you reach a point where Titler does not crash, and then begin reinstalling half of that batch, until you find the one(s) that will crash Titler.

Remember, you will want to leave the System Fonts alone in all of this.

As you can see, this could take days on a system with a lot of fonts installed. It is also tough because interspersed within your fonts will be System Fonts, so you have to step around them. Were I going at this, I would use a little program called Directory Print (used to be freeware, but I think it's shareware now), to print out a complete list of all of my installed fonts. I'd mark all System Fonts in bright red, and then just count to get about half of the rest and use this as my starting point, marking off all good fonts, until I was down to the final few. At that point, I would begin either uninstalling, or reinstalling them one at a time. Also, just because you get down to say the final five, and find one that crashes Titler every time, do not forget to test the other four, as you may have more than one bad one.

I believe you see why I use Font Doctor to do this. I'm not sure how well FontFrenzy does it, but it comes highly recommended from a good source, Jeff Bellune. Out of 11,000 possible fonts (I ran it on my font storage folders too, as I manage my fonts with Extensis Suitcase, and usually only have 200-300 installed at any one time), I had about 12 corrupt fonts. Font Dr. was able to repair 9, and the others were deleted, after I noted their name. I was able to find good replacements for about 2 and the rest just were removed from the system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                A709 Level 1

Well, thank you for such a full suggested workflow.

I have tried both Font Frenzy and the trial version of Font Doctor. I have deleted a whole bunch of unnecessary founts out of 819 found by Font Doctor. I have also deleted 8 founts said to be "incorrect or damaged". I can't guarantee however that I have found every fount on the PC.

I have also repaired PRE 7 from the original disk.

There is no change. After a re-boot you can just about prepare a title before it crashes. Thereafter it crashes immediately the Title bar is selected.

So I am still a bit lost.

• 13. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                  A709 Level 1

As I understand it, all fonts must be acccessed through the Windows/Fonts folder, so moving fonts out of that folder effectively uninstalls them. I do not know of any other way to uninstall fonts in a way that would allow them to be reinstalled.

I have obtained a list of Windows XP system fonts from the web as suggested and moved all other fonts into a different folder, apart from 4 which could not be moved ("can't move" or "access denied").

I have also deleted a large number of duplicated or unneeded fonts from my various HDDs, and removed references to them in the Registry.

PRE7 still crashes immediately any title is selected.

• 14. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, on a PC, fonts are installed/uninstalled via Control Panel>Fonts. In the case, where one uses a "font manager," like Extensis Suitcase, that program communicates with Windows to do that, in a dynamic fashion.

When uninstalling fonts, do all operations via either your Control Panel>Fonts, or your font manager. When doing it directly from the OS, you will have a choice of Removing the font from the computer, or just uninstalling it from the OS, leaving the font file on the system, so it could be re-installed later on.

Do not completely remove any font file, unless you absolutely know that is what you want to do.

As mentioned in this thread, IIRC, I have over 11,000 fonts, though only a few hundred are ever installed at any time. The rest reside in my Fonts folders (outside of the Windows' Font folder) and then sub-folders arranged by type, i.e. OTF (Open Type Fonts).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                      A709 Level 1

Thanks for this advice, but I am now at a loss.

I have moved all the fonts out of WINDOWS/FONTS to another folder, with the exception of (a) the System Fonts and (b) 3 fonts that the system would not allow me to move, viz: dosapp.fon, marlett.ttf and vgaoem.fon, and re-booted.

Unless the System fonts are corrupt, or one of these three, then the problem can't be fonts, for it crashes just as before.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

• 16. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, if it's not fonts, then I'd think that System resources would be the next place to begin looking.

Might have suggested this ARTICLE up thread, and if so, please forgive me. There might be a clue in the Event Viewer errors and warnings. Be sure to follow ALL links and read them carefully. Do not be put off, if the first several are just useless code. It's the ones with real info and especially links that you want to study with care.

Also, please tell us more about your SATA II HDD's, especially their size, free space, and how you have them allocated, plus if they are internal, or one is external, i.e. eSATA.

I'd also suggest a screen-cap of the Processes Tab from Task Manager, to see what else is running from boot up.

PE is a resource hog, and Titler adds to the "weight," but most never have an issue with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS if I've asked these same questions already, just point me to the post number with the answers. We talked so much about the fonts, I might have forgotten important details.

• 17. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                          A709 Level 1

Thanks amazing fast response. The task manager performance monitor shews max 13% CPU utilization and about 50% memory use during the crash. Is this in any sense reliable?

SATA II disks are internal 500 GB. The system disk has 338GB free and the data disk has 121 GB free. There is also an IDE disk with 15GB free, but should not be playing any part in this.

The only odd thing is that the two SATA disks currently appear as USB drives in the "Safely Remove Hardware" panel, but nowhere else, and nothing is indicating anything strange in "Device Manager".

I'll try your sugggestions.

• 18. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            The task manager performance monitor shews max 13% CPU utilization and about 50% memory use during the crash. Is this in any sense reliable?

That does not look bad at all. What do you have under the Processes Tab?

As for reliability, it's usually pretty good.

SATA II disks are internal 500 GB. The system disk has 338GB free and the data disk has 121 GB free. There is also an IDE disk with 15GB free, but should not be playing any part in this.

I/O looks good, except for the oddity below. Where are your Project file and Scratch Disks located?

Where and how is your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) located, and managed?

The only odd thing is that the two SATA disks currently appear as USB drives in the "Safely Remove Hardware" panel, but nowhere else, and nothing is indicating anything strange in "Device Manager".

That is odd. Are they set correctly in your BIOS? That would be the first place that I would look.

Is your SATA controller an on-board chip, or a physical card? What about the IDE HDD - on-board chip, or physical card?

In Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, under Disk drives, how do they appear? I've never seen such a listing for any of my SATA II HDD's.

Was the IDE HDD the first, or was it added later on?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                              A709 Level 1

OK, never mind about the PC, you're beginning plumb the depths of my own resources!

1. I attach a screen print of the Processes in a Word document. Is that the way to do it?

2.Project and Scratch files are all folders together on the data, not the system disk.  PRE7 is installed on the System disk.

3.I'll need reminding how to find Virtual Memory and Page File info.

4. Some history on the USB oddity. Before I installed PRE7, I had a problem after updating my drivers. The latest VIA chip drivers for USB loaded fine (apparently) but thereafter all the USB 2.0 ports were turned in fact to USB 1.0 (although they said they were USB 2.0 - when anything was plugged in the warning was displayed that the device would run faster on USB 2.0). To try to correct this I installed the latest BIOS, to no avail. In desperation I then uninstalled every USB device and rebooted. Windows installed suitable drivers and USB 2.0 operation was resumed (4 ports on the board and 8 more on two PCI cards). I then tried again to reinstal the latest USB drivers and the same thing happened; I repeated the solution, successfully.

The only oddity thereafter is the one I have described. The disk identification numbers are displayed in Device Manager/Disk Drives e.g "Hitachi HDP725050GLA360" but nothing else. If however I plug a USB card reader in, this appears not only as a Mass Storage Device under USB Controllers but also as four "GENERIC STORAGE Device USB Device" under Disk Drives alongside the real disks. It works fine.

On booting, the two SATA II disks are correctly identified as such in the BIOS. They run from the onboard chip as does the IDE Disk. The IDE Disk came from another computer but all the Disks were  installed at the same time when I built the computer.

The only other possibility is that I downloaded my PRE7 as a trial version. However I didn't "buy" this installation but bought the boxed set and installed that. My recollection is that I uninstalled the original version, but there seem to be other installation folders that don't belong to the "proper" installation. Is PRE7 getting confused somewhere?

Again, your continued interest in this frustrating conundrum is much appreciated.

• 20. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                1. I attach a screen print of the Processes in a Word document. Is that the way to do it?

I do not know about the .DOC, but I know that a TXT file would work fine. Because of Word Macros, .DOC's might be blocked. Do not see an attachment yet.

2.Project and Scratch files are all folders together on the data, not the system disk.  PRE7 is installed on the System disk.

This is good.

3.I'll need reminding how to find Virtual Memory and Page File info.

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance/Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory/Change (do not change it, just read what it says). The exact path might differ by OS version. Syntax may change, but will be similar.

4. Some history on the USB oddity. Before I installed PRE7, I had a problem after updating my drivers. The latest VIA chip drivers for USB loaded fine (apparently) but thereafter all the USB 2.0 ports were turned in fact to USB 1.0

Many have reported all sorts of problems with the VIA chipset. This is an odd one, but not totally surprising, based on so many other issues.

The only oddity thereafter is the one I have described. The disk identification numbers are displayed in Device Manager/Disk Drives e.g "Hitachi HDP725050GLA360" but nothing else. If however I plug a USB card reader in, this appears not only as a Mass Storage Device under USB Controllers but also as four "GENERIC STORAGE Device USB Device" under Disk Drives alongside the real disks. It works fine.

The reason that your card reader shows up as multiple drives, is that its a multi-reader and has basically an identity for each type of card that it can read. One of mine shows up as 8 drives, and my HP All-in-one printer shows up as a drive, because it has a card reader.

On booting, the two SATA II disks are correctly identified as such in the BIOS. They run from the onboard chip as does the IDE Disk. The IDE Disk came from another computer but all the Disks were  installed at the same time when I built the computer.

This is good and rules out a BIOS issue with regard to the HDD's.

The only other possibility is that I downloaded my PRE7 as a trial version. However I didn't "buy" this installation but bought the boxed set and installed that. My recollection is that I uninstalled the original version, but there seem to be other installation folders that don't belong to the "proper" installation. Is PRE7 getting confused somewhere?

Now, this might make a difference. I have far less experience with PE, and also have never done a trial of any Adobe software, but...

In PrPro CS2 - CS3 and CS4, the trial could not just be removed. Once it was uninstalled, the appropriate Adobe CleanScript had to be run (sometimes 3 - 4 times), before the full-paid version could be installed. There were many issues, if one did not do this. The Adobe CleanScripts were available by version number, i.e. CS3 to clean up after the CS3 trial, before installing the CS3 full version. This was very important, and had to be done. Where I am in the dark is I have never heard of an Adobe CleanScript for PE - any version. I also could not find one on the Adobe site. Maybe someone can help me out here.

Given the problems that you are experiencing. I would back up all of your Projects, including the Scratch Disks for those Projects. Unless you've been moving your Assets into the Project folder structure, they should be good to stay where they are.

Next, I'd uninstall PE (did you have PSE trial too?), and then manually remove any "other" Adobe PE folders (be careful if you have other Adobe programs, and limit yourself to JUST the Adobe PE folders.

Run a Registery Cleaner, like CCleaner several times. You want the Registry Cleaner part of that program, as it does other cleanup duties. Right now, it's just cleaning the Registry. Once 100% clean, reinstall PE, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                  A709 Level 1

Thanks again.

Paging File is 4094 MB on the system drive. No other paging files. No path given.

I'll now work on the re-install.

Best regards

• 22. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Paging File is 4094 MB on the system drive.

As long as your system drive has adequate free space, that should work fine.

Good luck with the reinstall, and please let us know how it goes.

Hunt

• 23. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                      A709 Level 1

Summer over, and back to video editing.  Uninstalled PRE7, ran CC Registry cleaner 4 or 5 times until it said all was clear and 'no issues', then reinstalled from the disc. Result: just as before. Opening a title crashes the project immediately, even when the attempted title is the only material in the project.  Where to go now????

• 24. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                        A709 Level 1

Further to the above post, I notice that others have talked of crashing being associated with nVidia cards. Mine is an ATI Radeon X1600 PRO. I have made no changes as far as I can recall to its drivers to cause the titler to suddenly stop working. Wine-Snob, any ideas?

• 25. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The majority of the situations, where Titler crashes, are due to a corrupt font, or fonts.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding the bad font(s).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                            Wine-Snob, any ideas?

Let's look at fonts first. If nothing shows up there, then maybe we'll look at the ATI drivers, but they have been doing fine in all flavors of Premiere.

If you need more detail, besides my font/Titler article, let me know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                              A709 Level 1

Many thanks your prompt response. I've been off the air over the summer, so I have come back to this after the break, but if you run back through the thread you'll see we've been through all the font and resources stuff to no avail. So may be graphics drivers?

In fact the post title is slightly misleading. Clicking on the titles tab shuts down PRE7. And we should remember that it used to work fine and then suddenly stopped working, which makes me think it was caused by a driver update, which is the only change I've made.

• 28. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as title is selected
                                                                A709 Level 1

Can anyone assist on this, having worked through the thread? Is there anything I have not tried and should? At present my PRE7 is unusable.

Thanks for any ideas.

• 29. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as title is selected
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to this thread, but I've been in London, so I've been off-line too.

Since things did work, but now do not, something has definitely changed. Little things, like Windows updates can kill Video and Audio drivers in a heartbeat, and do it silently. It will seem odd that other programs, requiring interaction with both will still function, but the NLE will not. With most NLE's, the program works much more closely with the Audio and Video drivers, than most other programs do, so they encounter weaknesses or issues first.

If updating your drivers and also QuickTime do not help, I'd immediately do a manual System Restore Point. Once done, I'd look at my previous Restore Points and see if I have some from around the time that things DID work. I do this from Safe Mode, but the choice is yours - go to one of those older Restore Points and load it. Test. If things still do not work, go back even further in time. Test. If you can find a point where things do work, you will have to decide what changed later on and attempt to address that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                    we should remember that it used to work fine and then suddenly stopped working, which makes me think it was caused by a driver update, which is the only change I've made.

Along these lines, can you try reinstalling an older ATI driver for your card? I'd guess that ATI has an archive of older drivers. Several users have had to roll-back their nVidia drivers to get things working, as some of the newer drivers have smurfed things up. Do not recall any such issues with ATI, but it would be worth a try. You should be able to get back to the old driver with the System Restore that I mentioned upthread.

Also, I do not see that we addressed any possible issue with Hardware Acceleration in the vid-card. I'd look closely at the settings and try turning this OFF, if it's ON, or ON, if it's OFF. If this has any effect, try nudging up, or down, one "click" at a time, until it stops working.

Last, does your ATI have any sort of gaming drivers included, like 3D? These have caused all sorts of issues with nVidia cards, and have had to be disabled. Again, do not recall any such behavior with ATI's, but as both ATI and nVidia are driven by gamers, there could be something new in your driver, that is messing things up now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                                      A709 Level 1

OK, so now I have made some progress.

Adobe Support suggested a 25-point plan. Needless to say it was the very last one that produced a result: create a new user and run Premiere Elements 7 from that. The crashing problem disappeared.

I then followed Microsoft's instructions for recreating a user after corruption of a User account. Having done that, the problem returned. The instructions essentially involve copying across all user data except ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat .log, ntuser.ini. Accordingly whatever is corrupt is not the user account as such but some file within it.

Obviously the work-around is to run PE7 from a simple and discrete User account, but that is not very convenient. Any ideas for tracking down the file in Documents and Settings that is causing the problem?

• 32. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                                        nealeh Level 5

A709 wrote:

Any ideas for tracking down the file in Documents and Settings that is causing the problem?

Process Explorer / Process Manager from sysinternals should give you everything you could possibly hope for.

Cheers,
                                                                        --
                                                                        Neale
                                                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 33. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That is a great utility, and invaluable for troubleshooting memory and resource issues.

Hunt

• 34. Re: PRE7 - Program crashes as soon as rolling title is selected
                                                                            A709 Level 1

Many thanks. The Process Manager software looks pretty comprehensive but running just to monitor PE7 crashing produces more than 100,000 lines of output. What am I looking for?

Richard