13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 9:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?

Suntower Level 1

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but when I search for 'Align' in the PDF it seems to refer to 'clips'.

What I want is to left/right/top/bottom align a clip within the video window, either to the edge of the video screen or the center. Sorry if this is ULTIMATE duh but I cannot -stand- PDF help. hate it. hate it. hate it. Almost as much as video help.

THANKS!

---JC

• 1. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aligning objects is only posible in the Titler.

• 2. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't think this is possible, but another approach might be - assuming you are working with the same source material, at least the same dimensions - is to make a note of the position for left, right, top or bottom and enter those figures manually each time.

Say HDV material, you have a standard position of 720, 540. After scaling down to 50% you want the clip in the left upper corner and you note the desired position at 360, 270 you can manually enter that for other clips. Same with other positions. Or, if you are mathematically inclined, develop a formula to do the calculations for you with the source dimensions and scale % as your variables.

• 3. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been mentioned, there is only Align in Titler.

However, the Fixed Effect, Motion>Position can do it for you. As Harm points out, you can do the math, but you can also click on the Effect's name in the Effects Control Panel and boom, you get a Bounding Box to drag around, all you want.

What I would do would be to create a grid (I'd use Photoshop, rather than Titler) per my needs, and sized to fit my Project. Import the .PSD into PrPro, and temporarily place it to use the alignment aspects of Motion>Position. If you want four corners, then just create the grid to show those locations for your frame sizes, maybe in red.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                Suntower Level 1

Thanks. I'll try that.

At the risk of being labelled a chronic grouser, I'm shocked (just shocked) that this isn't in the box.

No alignment tools? No layering options? Premiere doesn't -feel- so much like an Adobe app. It has lots of spots where it doesn't -work- like other members of 'the family'. Maybe I don't realise yet why this stuff is unimportant, but I guess I expected Premiere to be more consistent with the other 'suite' members.

Again, thanks. I'll take a pill.

---JC

• 5. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Coming from a career with Photoshop, from when it first hit the PC, there are things that I do miss. Still, if one expands their mind and filters it through "video," there are a lot of similarities, they just look different.

As for Align, you can get that in AfterEffects, andit works more like AI, or PS. Because PrPro is a video editor, there are some things that are done differently, or are not directly available. Still, I am always amazed at how much animation PrPro can do natively. You have to just think about if for a moment.

If you are doing a ton of animation, you will definitely want to look into AE.

That was one of the great things about the early bundles, like Production Studio CS2. It had PrPro, Encore, Audition and AfterEffects (covered 4 big bases with those), plus PS (had it for decades) and AI (had it for decades). Still, the package could do pretty much all that one would want. [Also had the MacroMedia Studio, so Web and Flash were covered elsewhere.] There is littel that cannot be done with the Production Studio, and they all worked well together. As of CS4, there are even closer links amongst the various programs, if one purchases/upgrades the suites.

I know of no one program, that will do everything. Cannot think of a one. I look at these (plus the myriad other NLE's, utilities, etc.) as just tools in my toolbox. I try to use the right tool for the job. I hate "big button" programs as it is. I do not want one that does it all, but would rather have the most power of each to do their job, and then move onto the next.

Sit back, have a glass of great wine and a Cuban. Exhale and then begin to wrap your head around the power of each program. Do not fight this, or you'll only become frustrated. In the course of a normal Project, I might use everything in the suite, plus a half-dozen additional programs. Each does their part perfectly, and then I finish up in Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                    Suntower Level 1

My son-in-law is from the Dominican Republic... he's been mollifying me with some pretty nice cigars from there lately. It definitely helps.

When you say

"Sit back, have a glass of great wine and a Cuban. Exhale and then begin to wrap your head around the power of each program. Do not fight this, or you'll only become frustrated. In the course of a normal Project, I might use everything in the suite, plus a half-dozen additional programs. Each does their part perfectly, and then I finish up in Encore."

I am not yet at a point where I know how to use 'the suite'. I haven't had the time to figure out how to dole out bits to AE as needed and then move them back into Premiere (or vice versa). I wish I -did-. The frustrations are not in big things, but rather in small details like Align which feel like they -should- be in Premiere. I'm sure there are many helpful videos on integrating other aspects of 'the suite' into a Premiere Project. (There's a video for -everything-, right? )

I tend to fear 'The Bridge' because my InDesign/Photoshop friends (those who convinced me to shell out for 'the suite' are forever complaining about it crashing at just the wrong times.

Thanks again. Wish I had 45 minutes for a smoke.

---JC

• 7. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not worry about not picking up all of the aspects of the suite right off. I still learn something new about AE, every time I use it. It just takes time and practice. Though most of the animation that I do can be easily done in PrPro, I force myself to do some of it in AE, just to learn more about that program.

Enjoy the Domicans!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If i have to align several items i scale up the program monitor and use the sides, bottom or top of the screen as a reference.

By clicking on the name of the item in the effect controls you can select them in the program monitor and move the item around.

• 9. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                          Suntower Level 1

At the risk of bringing down the wrath of RTFM...

How does one assess the safe upper/lower/right/left boundaries of the screen. In pixels? Obviously I can 'do the math' if I know what the right/left margin will always be on a DVD or a Youtube video. IOW: can you give me some guidance on a safe assumption for the width/height of the screen that will be usable either on a DVD or a VGA monitor? Maybe this is the stupidest question ever, but all the numbers for position on the 'Motion' tab seem somewhat arbitrary. For example, when one changes the 'Scale' to '50' what is this number? 50 -percent- or 50 units of -what-? And if 50%, 50% of -what- on the screen? 50% of the =pixels=? I hope I'm making at least some sense.

TIA.

---JC

• 11. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                            shooternz Level 6

@ the OP

I am not sure why you need to do this  ...

QUOTE: "What I want is to left/right/top/bottom align a clip within the video window, either to the edge of the video screen or the center. "

because a clip automatically aligns within the video window unless you have changed the anchor point ( which by default is the Centre) or shifted the clip using motion control points..

If you are talking about aligning for some other reason or purpose..it is very easy to make an alignment "object" , such as a line or a cross hair,  in the Titler and use this as a guide.

• 12. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                              Suntower Level 1

Hi,

I'm doing a music video and I have several areas where there are split screens in 'boxes'. I want them aligned with one another nice 'n' symmetrical. I';; try the grid idea in Titler.

Thx.

---JC

• 13. Re: Noob Question 12: Aligning Objects On Screen?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For that purpose, I'd use the technique that I mentioned in Post #3. Instead of a "Grid," I'd do an alignment "Guide" with the boxes positioned and sized as needed. Use this as a "template," and then just Motion>Scale and Motion>Position, as is needed to fit in the respective "boxes." I make these in PS all of the time, and use the File>New>[Project Preset to match] w/ Guides. Then with either the Pen Tool, or Shapes, or Selections & Paths, I create my template and Save_As .PSD for Import into PrPro. Be sure to set your Rulers to Pixels, for perfect placement.  I use this to do all of my sizing and alignment, then remove it, for Render and Export.

Good luck,

Hunt