14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 5:04 PM by rowanthefrog

Exported file is HUGE - what to do?

rowanthefrog

I am working on a video presentation that will ultimately run at about an hour.  I was trying to show a preview but when I exported just the first 15 min of the movie it was about 12 GIG.  I exported it at 50% quality as a Quicktime MOV file.  Needless to say, I can't send it or upload it anywhere. 

I ultimately need to burn this to a DVD, and DVDs only hold 4.3G.  I would also like to be able to upload it (in pieces if needed) to youtube, but the priority is getting it into a format so I can burn it to a DVD.

What do you suggest? What settings should I use to export?  The file contains video, jpgs, and audio.

A

• 1. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Shouldn't be anywhere near that size... what Quicktime export preset did you use? Or how did you export it?

• 2. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
            rowanthefrog Level 1

What do you mean by export preset?? (I just started using this program for this project, so I'm new to it.)  The only thing I changed when I clicked on settings was the quality.  I'm using APE4 if it matters.

A

• 3. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Paul_LS that something is wrong. At pretty much full resolution, it should be only about 25% that size.

Also, remember that DV-AVI runs ~ 13GB/hour of runtime. To go to DVD, you will compress to MPEG-2 format and even at the highest quality will not quite fill up a 3.7GB DVD. That is how efficient the MPEG-2 compression is. Depending on the quality, one can fit from 1 to 2 hours of video onto a DVD-Video DVD5 (3.7GB). Over about 1 hour 15 mins. the quality will need to be scaled back, and the amount of this will increase as the Duration increases. Still, I'd have fine results with slower moving subjects and cameras at a full 2 hours - not as good as a 1 hour production, but still not bad and I have a pretty critical eye.

Please give the complete Export settings, as you should be able to get a much smaller file. Also, how do you plan on delivering this "preview," on a computer, DVD-Data for another computer, etc.? That might also point to another format/CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                rowanthefrog Level 1

Thank you both for your quick responses.  OK, I am using the export feature in PE.  Here are the settings that I used:

Filetype: Quicktime

Range: Work Area Bar

Video and Audio are both exported

Embedding options: Project

Compressor: Animation

Color depth: Millions of colors

Frame size: 720h 480v 4:3

Frame rate: 29.97 fps

Pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9)

Quality: 50%  (though I re-exported at 10% and it was still 6G)

Data rate: Recompress - Maintain data rate

Rendering options: Use project setting

Fields: Lower field first: Optimize stills

Audio

Compressor: Uncompressed

Sample rate: 8000hz

SAmple type: 16bit

Channels: stereo

Interleave: 1 second

Let me know if you need to know anything else, and if so, how to find it so I can tell you.

Thank you again for your help!

A

• 5. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                  rowanthefrog Level 1

Oh and to reply to your other question - I really wanted to be able to upload the preview to youtube or a similar website so that the people could just view it online, but if that is not possible then I would like it on a DVD that will work on both computer and in a regular DVD player.

A

• 6. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Compressor: Animation

This is most likely your problem. The Animation CODEC is virtually uncompressed, hence the file size being even larger than one would get from DV-AVI.

I'd look into the H.264 CODEC. If you have a recent version of Apple QuickTime Player installed, you should have that. I believe that YouTube handles H.264, but you will get better info from others, who use YouTube here. Also, for YouTube, I think that your framesizes are going to be too big, as well.

There have been a lot of recent articles on the forum (YouTube changes the specs. that they want monthly, or more often, so it's a moving target), on YouTube. Look for the most recent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

First, here is the PE FAQ on YouTube. Remember, I said that they change the specs often, so this might be totally out of date, but would give you a good starting point.

As for Burning to DVD, PE can handle the authoring (another phase of the production past editing). What I do not know is how/if PE can handle the partial Timeline, established by the WAB (Work Area Bar). I know how I could easily do that, but I'd be using PrPro and Encore. PE has a semi-automatic authoring scheme.

Regardless, you can use the WAB for the part of the Timeline that you want on the preview DVD and Export as DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Start a new Project with the DV Preset and Import that file into it. Then, you can Burn to DVD either with, or without a Menu. In essence, that is what I would be doing with my other programs. Maybe Paul_LS, or Steve, will drop by and tell us that PE can Burn to DVD directly from a WAB set Timeline - I just do not think that it can.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, ask and ye shall receive. Just now, Steve was answering this very question in this ARTICLE.

Still, the Export to DV-AVI Type II, and Import that into a new Project will work perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                          rowanthefrog Level 1

OK, thank you, I will try to export now using the settings you suggested.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Once I have exported then you recommend converting to mp2?  Is there a converter that you recommend? Does Audacity do that or is it only for audio files (I would guess based on the name of the program.)

A

• 10. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                            rowanthefrog Level 1

OK, when I select Filetype: Microsoft DV-AVI then my compressor choices change to: DV NTSC or DV PAL, which one??

A

• 11. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, the Export should be to MP4 (Apple's QT H.264 CODEC). Since you are doing a DV Project, just the straight Apple MOV (with compression) should work fine for YouTube. All you have to do is get it into a package that YouTube can handle. They WILL recompress it, per their daily specs.

For DV material, most people go with straight MOV.

I'll see if I can locate a really current YouTube spec. and furnish it here. As I do not do anything on YouTube, I do not keep close tabs on what they are up to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                                rowanthefrog Level 1

OK, to make sure I am clear:

For the youtube preview - export as Quicktime with H.264 codec.  For the final presentation to be burned to DVD, export to DV-AVI?

Thank you so much for all the help! I would be completely stymied and frustrated by this point if it weren't for you!

A

• 13. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                                  rowanthefrog Level 1

FANTASTIC - this resulted in a 919 MB file...a far cry from my initial 21 GB file.

Thank you so much!  Hopefully I won't have anymore questions, but if I do I'll be back.

A

• 14. Re: Exported file is HUGE - what to do?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad to hear it. Sorry that I could not be more specific with regards to YouTube, but many others here use it, and are currnt with it.

Don't hesitate to stop in with any more questions. That is why many of us hang out here - to first learn, and then to help.

Hunt