16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 4:29 PM by ggaarde

Blog as plugin?

ggaarde
      Hi,

Is there a way to integrate a Word Press blogging engine (or the like) as a plugin in an existing Dreamweaver site? In a AP div, or maybe in a frame?
      Supposedly Google likes to look at blogging sites (that are changing all the time). And some people suggest to replace your web site with a blogging site for that reason.
      One could make a site as a Word Press template, but I like to do my own design.
      ggaarde
        • 1. Re: Blog as plugin?
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Why don't you just create your own WordPress theme? Not the easiest thing to do but certainly not impossible if you have a little time to commit. There's not a way in which you can design the theme directly in Dreamweaver in a WYSIWYG fashion, but you can use Dreamweaver and other tools to assist in developing your custom theme/style sheet.

There's a ton of tutorials on the subject if you search for "wordpress theme development tutorial".

http://jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wordpress_theme/
          • 2. Re: Blog as plugin?
            ggaarde Level 1
            Thank you JoeyD1978 !

I will check out the tutorials

ggaarde
            • 3. Re: Blog as plugin?
              Level 7
              I don't see why it would have to be a plug-in per se. I recently added a
              WordPress blog to an existing site of mine:
              http://www.machadofarms.com/. (Click Blog in the menu.)

--

Walt

"ggaarde" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gbjrpa$lnd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi,
              >
              > Is there a way to integrate a Word Press blogging engine (or the like) as
              > a
              > plugin in an existing Dreamweaver site? In a AP div, or maybe in a frame?
              > Supposedly Google likes to look at blogging sites (that are changing all
              > the
              > time). And some people suggest to replace your web site with a blogging
              > site
              > for that reason.
              > One could make a site as a Word Press template, but I like to do my own
              > design.
              > ggaarde
              >

• 4. Re: Blog as plugin?
                Level 7
                > Why don't you just create your own WordPress theme?

I found a tut on creating a WP theme and it was 11 pages. I'll work thru it
                someday but for the blog I added to one of my sites (see my reply to OP) I
                just took one of the free templates that had similarly placed elements and
                re-worked it to fit the site. Not too bad.

--

Walt

"JoeyD1978" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gbjt6u$na6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Why don't you just create your own WordPress theme? Not the easiest thing
                > to do
                > but certainly not impossible if you have a little time to commit. There's
                > not a
                > way in which you can design the theme directly in Dreamweaver in a WYSIWYG
                > fashion, but you can use Dreamweaver and other tools to assist in
                > developing
                > your custom theme/style sheet.
                >
                > There's a ton of tutorials on the subject if you search for "wordpress
                > theme
                > development tutorial".
                >
                > http://jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wordpress_theme/
                >

• 5. Re: Blog as plugin?
                  ggaarde Level 1
                  Hi Walt

I see what you mean. It looks very similar.

ggaarde
                  • 6. Re: Blog as plugin?
                    Level 7
                    And it's still a work in process. I have to add the menu that appears on the
                    site pages, otherwise... I think it looks like part of the site. I hate
                    something like a blog on a blog site because it seems sloppy to me to chase
                    the visitor around the internet.

--

Walt

news:gbk1c5$rrv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi Walt
                    >
                    > I see what you mean. It looks very similar.
                    >
                    > ggaarde

• 7. Re: Blog as plugin?
                      Level 7
                      I found this extension the other day - I've not tried it, so can't comment
                      one way or another, but seemed promising.
                      http://www.themedreamer.com/

For the price, I, myself would try it before plunging into all those
                      tutorials again :-) Well maybe not, but I skinned a WP theme a while back
                      and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I'm told it gets
                      easier the more of them you do though :-D

--
                      Nadia
                      Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver
                      ----------------------------------------
                      CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles
                      http://www.DreamweaverResources.com
                      ~ Customisation Service Available ~
                      http://www.csstemplates.com.au
                      ----------------------------------------------------
                      Spry Widget Examples
                      http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/spry-widgets/
                      ----------------------------------------------------
                      ~ Forum Posting Guidelines ~
                      http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                      CSS Tutorials for Dreamweaver:
                      http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html

news:gbjrpa$lnd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Is there a way to integrate a Word Press blogging engine (or the like) as
                      > a
                      > plugin in an existing Dreamweaver site? In a AP div, or maybe in a frame?
                      > Supposedly Google likes to look at blogging sites (that are changing all
                      > the
                      > time). And some people suggest to replace your web site with a blogging
                      > site
                      > for that reason.
                      > One could make a site as a Word Press template, but I like to do my own
                      > design.
                      > ggaarde
                      >

• 8. Re: Blog as plugin?
                        Level 7
                        By modifying a Wordpress template that's roughly set up like your page you
                        can integrate it into a site. www.ithistory.org was a site I designed and
                        they later wanted a blog so I changed the template to fit the site. This is,
                        of course, easier if your original site is set up using includes for header,
                        main content, and footer. Check it out at www.ithistory.org/blog.

Mad Dog

ggaarde wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Is there a way to integrate a Word Press blogging engine (or the
                        > like) as a plugin in an existing Dreamweaver site? In a AP div, or
                        > maybe in a frame? Supposedly Google likes to look at blogging sites
                        > (that are changing all the time). And some people suggest to replace
                        > your web site with a blogging site for that reason.
                        > One could make a site as a Word Press template, but I like to do my
                        > own design.
                        > ggaarde

• 9. Re: Blog as plugin?
                          ggaarde Level 1
                          Hi Mad Dog

I like your site. The blog seems to be a totally natural part of it.
                          I see each page has it own url. I am not very familiar with php.
                          But I am seeing that only part of the page is reloading when you change pages.
                          Is it built in frames? or does php let you load only part of the page when you go to a new page? I don't know of any way you can do that in html maybe other than using ajax. But each page will then not have a unique url.

Can you fill me in?

ggaarde
                          • 10. Re: Blog as plugin?
                            ggaarde Level 1
                            Hi Ace
                            Thank you for the tip about ThemeDreamer.
                            I have downloaded the trial. It wants you to have the index.php file to work with in Dreamweaver and the CSS. How do you get access to the index.php or any other files for that matter from WordPress?

ggaarde
                            • 11. Re: Blog as plugin?
                              JoeDaSilva Level 4
                              I just came across this really nice tutorial on doing custom themes with WordPress:

http://themetation.com/2008/07/14/how-to-create-wordpress-themes-from-scratch-part-1/

Walt's blog isn't using frames, that's just a standard wordpress install. I doubt you'd ever catch Walt using frames ;-)

The index.php file in Wordpress isn't where you'd go to style anything. The "header" file is where a lot of elements can be moved around (the index page then calls the header), however the bulk, even 100%, of the styling happens in the style sheet.
                              • 12. Re: Blog as plugin?
                                Level 7
                                ggaarde wrote:
                                > Hi Mad Dog
                                >
                                > I like your site. The blog seems to be a totally natural part of it.
                                > I see each page has it own url. I am not very familiar with php.
                                > But I am seeing that only part of the page is reloading when you
                                > change pages. Is it built in frames? or does php let you load only
                                > part of the page when you go to a new page? I don't know of any way
                                > you can do that in html maybe other than using ajax. But each page
                                > will then not have a unique url.
                                >
                                > Can you fill me in?
                                >
                                > ggaarde

The change in URL I think you're referring to is something WordPress handles
                                for you. It's calling various pages or blog posts or whatever using PHP.
                                That's the glory of it, you don't need to worry about that. As for the "no
                                reloading," there are no frames or Ajax or anything that fancy. It's no
                                different than HTML in that if you have the same elements (such as a header
                                graphic) it doesn't "reload" each time because it's already in the browser
                                cache.

MD

• 13. Re: Blog as plugin?
                                  JoeDaSilva Level 4
                                  Whoops sorry, misread that - but mad dog isn't using frames either ;-)
                                  • 14. Re: Blog as plugin?
                                    Level 7
                                    JoeyD1978 wrote:
                                    > Whoops sorry, misread that - but mad dog isn't using frames either ;-)

And I'm proud to say I never have. Okay, maybe for photos or posters on a
                                    wall, but.....

• 15. Re: Blog as plugin?
                                      Level 7
                                      I tried to frame my brother-in-law once but then DNA came into use and the
                                      whole plot kind of fizzled.

--

Walt

"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                                      news:gbtvrm$pr0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > JoeyD1978 wrote:
                                      >> Whoops sorry, misread that - but mad dog isn't using frames either ;-)
                                      >
                                      > And I'm proud to say I never have. Okay, maybe for photos or posters on a
                                      > wall, but.....
                                      >

• 16. Re: Blog as plugin?
                                        ggaarde Level 1
                                        JoeyD1978, Mad dog and others

What is it that is so bad about using frames?
                                        The nice thing about frames as I see it, you can have just one menu in one frame and changing content in another with its own url.
                                        I am not familiar with php, but I think php can do it as well but not html unless you use ajax and then you have no unique url for your pages.

What am I missing?

ggaarde