7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 11:44 AM by Jacob Bugge

Very frustrated.

onnadae

I am new to Illustrator 10 and am having a very hard time navagating. The cursor keeps jumping to the top of the page. The Type tool always inserts a rectangle. I cannot just type at an insertion point. If I have any objects on the page, the cursor jumps to the top of the page when it touches the object. Can anyone help me with this?

• 1. Re: Very frustrated.
          John Danek Level 4

Wish I could help, not sure what's going on with your curser.  Check your mouse.  You're clicking and dragging with the type tool.  Try to just click where you want to type and start typing.  You should see a blinking line at your insertion point.

• 2. Re: Very frustrated.
            onnadae Level 1

My mouse works fine everywhere else. It is very hard to explain what keeps happening. The cursor will just jump to the top. When I have objects on the page, the cursor, no matter what kind of tool, jumps away if it touches any object.

• 3. Re: Very frustrated.
              [scott] Level 6

Knowing a bit more about your computer may help.. operating system, amount of RAM, amount of free space... etc.

• 4. Re: Very frustrated.
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

We really do need to know more about your computer but in this case you can try something that might one fix the problem or two will tell us a bitmore about the problem.

Create a new user account and log into that account do not add any more plug ins or activate any that are not already activated as a matter of fact remove and third arty plug ins you have before logging into the new user account. Once in the new user account launch AI and see if that helps if so try to log back into older acccount and see if that is now fine.

By the way have you added new fonts or plugins or create and new symbols, graphic styles or load new profiles of any kind?

• 5. Re: Very frustrated.
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As the others said - more info please. On a guess I would say you are running Windows Vista with eitehr an older graphics card or at least a wrong driver for that card, which conflicts with legacy apps such as AI 10... Therefore the only advice can be to check those settings. In addition, you may wish to run the program in compatibility mode to improve matters...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Very frustrated.
                    $Alphadog

Close Illustrator and delete the AIPrefs file,  Illy CS was (in)famous for having this file become corrupted.  This used to be the SOP when things start to act weird.

Hint:  When you get Illy setup the way you want, make a copy of your preferences file.  When you are forced to delete the file, just rename the copy.   Copy the copy and so on.

• 7. Re: Very frustrated.
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

onnadae,

My mouse works fine everywhere else. It is very hard to explain what keeps happening. The cursor will just jump to the top. When I have objects on the page, the cursor, no matter what kind of tool, jumps away if it touches any object.

And you have not done anything to scare your mouse?

I considered the same suggestion as posted by Alphadog, but decided that it was probably not the cause. Now I shall wait and see.