2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 4:24 AM by Powered by Design

Are there benefits to the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for HDV capture ?

Powered by Design Level 4
      Are there benefits to the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for HDV capture ? 
      I have a Sony HDR-FX1 that records in HDV 1440 x 1080 
      I have already captured the footage to miniDV tape. 
      Can the intensity card get the full 1920 x 1080 video ? 
      I now use Premiere to capture my video and my HDV is in mpeg2 and my SD is in DV type 2 AVI 
      What format does the intensity card capture at ? 
      Are there other ways to capture that would make the footage better. 
      From what I have read allot of people have had problems with these cards. 
      Im just looking for the best way to get the footage off my camera with the best resolution. 
        • 1. Re: Are there benefits to the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for HDV capture ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

I have posted this before in the PC Buying Guide (post #23 and later), but have a look at this diagram:

HDMI.jpg

The problem is that once recorded to tape, the material is compressed to MPEG and there is no way to get the data back, that were lost during compression. The only thing you achieve is that you lose device control, lose all timecode information, lose all metadata like date and timestamp and exposure data and lose the capability of scene detection. There are no gains to compensate the losses.

Compare it to a glass of orange juice, that was made by heavily compressing oranges. How do you think you can reconstruct the original oranges that the juice came from? Were there 4 large oranges or 6 small ones or a mixture? Were they light colored or were they dark or a mixture of light and dark?

BlackMagic in their marketing may lead you to believe otherwise, but the truth is they can only guess at how many oranges were used, their size and color. It is nothing more than a guess.

• 2. Re: Are there benefits to the Blackmagic Intensity Pro for HDV capture ?