5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 10:35 AM by acath

how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?

Muthaiah Thiagarajan

Hi friends,

Let me come straight to my interest!

I create a datalist control asset using photoshop. Bring this into Flash catalyst by importing the artworks. Then selecting respesctive artwork and making it as an horizontal list control with custom way for sliding between thumbnails with some description text.

Till now it is 100% possible with flash catalyst beta 1.

Can flash catalyst team further tweak this ui design tool to go ahead and select the data template and add custom interaction where, we can go ahead and give the path in such a way it makes a 180 degree carousel in seconds without any coding. I just need to go into the template and draw/move the positions for 5 thumbnails which sits within the width area of the datatemplate, then all the thumbnails follow the path.

This might be two much, but next wish is to, create states within the data template for loading the thumbnails into list control with custom animations, loading the thumbnail when some search is changed , i mean on layout updated on the datalist. 

So in short , my wish is second level tweaking of layout needs to be done within data driven controls.

Please come with comments!

Regards,

Muthaiah Thiagarajan,

EMC Corporation, Bangalore.

www.fmass.com

• 1. Re: how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?
          acath Level 4

Hi Muthaiah,

I don't fully understand your requests. Let me try to rephrase your requests - please tell me if I understand correctly.

Carousel layout: You'd like to be able to create a 3d-looking carousel layout for a list of images. The way you envision this working is to draw a path along which the images should be laid out.

Loading stats: You'd like to be able to show proxies for the images and then animate them into the final images. The way you envision this working is to create additional states in the Repeated Item (a.k.a. Data Template, a.k.a. Item Renderer) for loading. It also seems like you want the layout to change as your images load.

Is that right?

-Adam

• 2. Re: how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?
            Muthaiah Thiagarajan Level 1

Hi Adam,

You are almost right !

I am just rephrasing my question for you to understand!

But I don't mean only carousel, I love to see the list control comes in some innovative paths. As you know in flash CS4 adobe has come with motion editor concept for tweening, where you can go ahead and fix some path for the motion of any object on the stage like in aftereffects.

Now how about i take a template from illustrator where i define the data template of a data list control and scroll bar as vector assets. Now in flash catalyst, i come and fix them as data template and scroll bar. Now i double click and go into the datatemplate and then have a editor like in flash, where i can set a path for the motion of the repeated items, then in runtime it follows that path. This is my first idea.

Second one was i have a search box on top of it , then i type some name to search from the above mentioned datalist control, now it refines and updates the exisiting list with relavant repeated items. When this layout updates , each item should animate and sit back on the data list.

It's a small example for my idea! Hope you got my point!

As you said , I am also mentioning the same repeated items(a.k.a. Data Template, a.k.a. Item Renderer)! One more level of animation to avoid coding and easy to create stunning path following list controls. Even it can be used to define other controls too ! I don't mean images, it can be anything!

Can it be possible ?

Thanks!

Regards,

Muthaiah,

Principal Web Technologist,

EMC Corporation, Bangalore.

• 3. Re: how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?
              acath Level 4

I think I understand both feature requests. They are very powerful ideas that almost certainly won't make it into the first version of Catalyst. I will put them on the long list of possible future features, though.

You can some of this by coding a custom layout in Flash Builder, if you're up to that. Take a look at LayoutBase...in theory, you should be able to make a layout that places items along a path...

-Adam

• 4. Re: how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?
                Muthaiah Thiagarajan Level 1

Hi Adam,

Thanks for understanding my idea and considering too

I love to see that. Ya as you said! At present i can use action script to do the same , with a  custom component.

You have mentioned something called Layoutbase. May i know some link where i can find that one to learn.

I am more into RIA both with flex and silvelright. So I love to see healthy competition happening. I still have ideas, let me come with good clarity soon.

Current Catalyst is not supporting us to tweak the code and also to make an autofit layout, it's more an absolute layout. I hope that will be surely fixed in the upcoming beta versions. Because now if i make any layout in illustrator, and if i bring to catalyst, then it's all in fixed width and height. I love to atleast see, making things auto and extending layout to 100% autofit to any screen resolutions.

Thanks

Regards,

Muthaiah Thiagarajan,

Principal Web Technologist,

EMC Corporation,

Bangalore.

• 5. Re: how about this idea with flash catalyst? Can it happen in next version or before the release?
                  acath Level 4

Hi Muthaiah,

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/langref/spark/layouts/supportClasses/LayoutBase.html

I also recommend reading the source code for VerticalLayout.as, which is provided with Flash Builder. Go to Navigate > Open Type, type VerticalLayout, and click OK. Note that you must have a Flex 4 project open first.

-Adam