5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 8:59 AM by John T Smith

audio out of synch

Graywolf96

I've read through pages of discussion and none of them quite hit the mark with my problem. Granted I have old technology, but still it should work. The problem: on some imports into Adobe Premiere 6.5 using an analog capture card Pinnacle 500 Plus 4.5 using composite connections from an 8mm Sony tape camcorder using TDK premium tape (usually importing a straight two hours worth for editing), when playing the .AVI file on the timeline, gradually the audio becomes out of sync, and obviously more so towards the end of the two hours (so nudging the audio track would be a continuous exercise in futility). What is making this happen? It doesn't happen for all imports from the same camera and the same quality tape. There are no dropped frames reported. If I re-import the video, it still happens. Yet playing the camcorder directly to TV, the video and audio are fine.

Computer: 4 gigs of RAM, 160 gig ATA storage drive.

• 1. Re: audio out of synch
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I no longer remember what it fixed, but there is a 4.5a update for the Dv500

I put it on my site at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/DV500-450a.zip

I have used my dv500 for my own analog 8mm tapes and to get some OLD vcr tapes into the computer to write a dvd before the tape would stop playing, and I've never had sound drift problems

• 2. Re: audio out of synch
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of things:

1.) this is the Premiere Elements forum, and you want the Pr 2.0 & Earlier forum.

2.) however, let me see if I can help. Are you able to use Pr 6.5 to actually Capture from the Pinnacle?

3.) as I doubt that you are, what software are you using for the Capture? Most importantly, what format/CODEC does it Capture to?

4.) OOS is very common with capture cards, and much less so with A-D bridges, like the Canopus 110, or 300

5.) OOS issues are common, but most often are constant, rather than drifting. The first is easy (as you note) with just some nudging. This ARTICLE covers the basic approach to that. For drifting OOS, one has to formulate a plan of attack, and the first step is to survey the entire Clip very closely. With drifting OOS, one usually has a certain amout of time, where the OOS has either not occurred, or is unnoticable. Cut the Clip here with the Razor. Focus on the next section and try to find the point that the drifting OOS has changed more enough to notice. Cut the Clip, and address what is now Clip 2 in your lineup, as you would with non-drifting OOS. Continue this process for the entire Duration, creating separate Clips from the remainder, until you have gotten it handled, as well as possible.

This is tedious, and horribly time consuming, though not impossible. Where there are no CU's of lips, or explosions, you can probably get so close that no one viewing would recognize an OOS problem - you get to use nudge Audio for that. If the OOS is getting bad towards the end, you might be cutting every couple hundred frames, trying to keep up with it..

I would almost bet that the Capture would be to MPEG. The reason that I suspect this is that MPEG is horribly notorious for drifting OOS. Sometimes, a conversion to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio will straighten this out, though not always. Remember, that is just a guess and it's based on many case studies. Your instance might be totally different. Just because I have never seen drifting OOS from a Captured DV-AVI Type II, does not mean that it cannot happen.

Good luck, and please let me know about the Capture software used, and the format/CODEC Captured to.

Hunt

• 3. Re: audio out of synch

GO HERE to continue this discussion http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459843?tstart=0

• 4. Re: audio out of synch
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

As you've got the same setup, or very similar, let me ask exactly how you do your Captures with it. Do you use additional software for the Capture? What format/CODEC do you Capture to?

Thanks, and the above is just to give me more info for the future,

Hunt

• 5. Re: audio out of synch

Already answered in the new discussion I created http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459843?tstart=0