35 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 12:30 PM by medicisman

Chinchillada error

mac_support

We have about 5 systems that are getting the following error message. It can occur any time while using the application.

After Effect has encountered an error.

[/Chinchillada/pro/ext/adobe/MediaCore/MediaFoundation/Make/Mac../../Src/FileManager/FileM anagerlmpl.cpp-108]

Any idea what this could be?

• 1. Re: Chinchillada error
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Chinchillada is the internal code name of AE CS4 and the stuff you are seeing is the path of the build files. since it refers to MediaCore, please tell us exactly what footage types you are using and what your systems' specs are.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Chinchillada error
            mac_support Level 1

Mac Pro

Quad-Core Intel Xeon,

OS X 10.5.7

8 GB of RAM

They are .mov files

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Chinchillada error

And what CoDecs do those MOVs use? That really is the decicive factor. If they are H.164, DVPRO and a few other formats, AE will bypass native QT handling of those formats and use its own, optimized routines...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Chinchillada error
                mac_support Level 1

The designers tell me that we use all of those CoDecs, the error occures during preview not rendering.

• 5. Re: Chinchillada error

Yeah, so do many people... Sorry to be so bitchy about it, but you need to be more specific or else this will not go anywhere. Framerates? Resolutions? How are the files generated or from what sources are they coming? In which combinations are they used? Is there a specific number of those files being used in any given project when it crashes? And again: On what machines are you working exactly? Graphics card? Memory? Processor? Are they all of the same configuration?

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Chinchillada error
                    Marco Salsiccia

Hey there,

We are suddenly experiencing this error as well, except the final error code is different than the OP.  Our error reads as:

[/Chinchillada/pro/ext/adobe/MediaCore/MediaFoundation/Make/Mac/../../Src/FileManager/File ManagerImpI.cpp-123]

We are working on 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Mac Pros with 8GBs of RAM.  nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT cards are in all of the machines.  The copies of AE CS4 have been recently installed and were updated to the latest version (9.0.2).  The CS3 Master Suite still exists on the system, CS4 was installed alongside of it.

We are working with 1080p Uncompressed footage, 1080p H.264 quicktime movies, multiple layers imported from a single Illustrator CS3 file, and black and white mattes rendered as Quicktime movies with the standard Animation codec out of Imagineer's Motor.  None of the working files are local; all of them are being read off of a server through AE.

The error mostly pops up when the artist tries to RAM preview their work.  The error comes up and After Effects auto-saves a file, then promptly crashes.  The artist moved to another machine and started working with the same file, and the error started happening on that machine as well.  This error hasn't happened on any other machines, so it might be an issue with the file.

We've uninstalled, cleaned, and are in the process of re-installing the CS4 Master Suite on the first machine where this issue occurred to see if that fixes the issue.  Any insight into this error?

AEerror.png

UPDATE

I initially thought that there might be some cross-chatter between Illustrator CS3 files running through AE CS4, so I saved a copy of the Illustrator file and updated it through Illustrator CS4 and re-imported everything into AE.  RAM Previewed and worked for a little while, and then boom!  This error popped up again.  This time, it didn't crash immediately after the error.  AE RAM previewed a few more frames, then this little beauty of an error occurred:

Picture 2.png

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  In the meantime, I think I might be taking my team back to CS3 until we can figure out what's going on...

I've uploaded the stack trace.

• 7. Re: Chinchillada error
                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hey Marco, my friend.

How are you?

I would need a project file to file a report. Source files are not needed (not for now at least), but the AI file would help.

You can send this directly to me: arozenfe(youknowwhat)adobe.com

• 8. Re: Chinchillada error

Marco Salsiccia wrote:

Any insight into this error?

Not really. FileManagerImpl(icit?) is probably just a generic function call. Do you use anything fancy in the Illustrator file? What happens, if you save it as an PDF and use that instead?

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Chinchillada error
                          Marco Salsiccia Level 1

Hi Adolfo, nice to see you here!

The illustrator file doesn't contain anything fancy.  I have two layers that were imported/placed PDF files that contain artwork, and all the other layers are 1920 x 1080px sized rectangles of color.  I'll get permission from the director to send over any files necessary for testing.

The cleaned and freshly reinstalled computer seemed to be OK, but I'll have further analysis tomorrow after we all start working again.  I'm pretty much at a loss; I've never seen any of these errors before.  They don't hinder us too much...we all save often and pretty much have been saving prior to any RAM previewing or are just doing quick renders to test our work, and it's pretty quick to relaunch AE.  Something might've happened during the CS4 installation over the weekend...

Thanks for the help!

• 10. Re: Chinchillada error
                            james works Level 1

We've been getting this error on a few of our machines aswell since upgrading to CS4.

3 different configed machines and several different projects. Pretty much always happens when trying to render a Quicktime movie, but has also been happening just when scrubbing through or previewing a project that only consists of still photoshop docs and other stills with alpha!?

We had a complete mare with this Media Core problem and Premiere not exporting any audio, so we had to reinstall whole CS4 suite and move some plugins out of the Media Core folder that had somehow found their way in there. I'd rather not have to reinstall everything again! Is there no 'repair' function on the CS4 discs? I'm sure my Windows copy of CS2 suite had an 'install/uninstall/repair' function that check all the individual apps for errors in installation...

For reference the 3 diff machines we're getting the Chinchillada error on are:-

Mac1:

early 2008 Mac Pro 8 x 3.2GHz

8GB RAM

Leopard 10.5.7

4 x ATI Radeon HD2600 gfx cards

AE CS4 9.0.2.42

Quicktime 7.6.2

Mac2:

Mac Pro 4 x 3GHz

8GB RAM

Tiger 10.4.11

ATI Radeon XT1900 gfx card

AE CS4 9.0.2.42

Quicktime 7.5

Mac3:

Mac Pro 4 x 2.66GHz

8GB RAM

Tiger 10.4.11

ATI Radeon XT1900 gfx card

AE CS4 9.0.2.42

Quicktime 7.6.2

Any ideas VERY welcome! Cheers, James.

• 11. Re: Chinchillada error

There is a repair function, but in order to work something has to be clearly broken, from the point of view of the installer.

Note that there can be a million reasons why you can get an error message without any particular component being broken in the sense of it not being correctly installed.

Have you tried re-creating preferences?

• 12. Re: Chinchillada error
                                james works Level 1

Yep, first thing we tried was trashing prefs - no joy.

So with the install discs, does the repair function only show up as an 'option' now, if something IS broken?

• 13. Re: Chinchillada error

No, AFAIK the installer only offers to repair when launching it after an install attempt fails.

• 14. Re: Chinchillada error
                                    james works Level 1

Hmm...has it always been like that on macs for CS suites? Windows repair is really useful for troubleshooting when an app is playing up - you just bang the disc in and it diagnoses if an app isn't setup as it should be and fixes it. Seems strange that feature would be omitted for CS4 on mac...

• 15. Re: Chinchillada error
                                      Marco Salsiccia Level 1

OK, I've got a little more information on this issue.

I had my machine wiped and put a fresh re-install of the CS4 suite on it and updated it to the latest version.

I've narrowed the cause of the crash down to it being the fault of the SilhouetteFX Shape importer plug-in.  Computers that didn't use that to import shapes during the day never encountered this error.  Machines that used this plug-in throughout the work day to import Silhouette data as AE masks would have this crash happen.  They hadn't updated their importer for CS4.

I've contacted Paul Miller and Marco Paolini at SilhouetteFX and am working with them to find a solution.

• 16. Re: Chinchillada error

Thanks for the update, Marco.

• 17. Re: Chinchillada error
                                          big pink Level 1

I'm getting the same error and I am not using SilhouetteFX. Any insight would be appreciated.

Here's all the info:

Picture 78.pngwith a Raedon 2600HD

Here's the footage I'm using:

Picture 77.png

and here's the messages that I get when I'm doing RAM previews:

Picture 75.png

Picture 76.png

I'm using AE 9.0.0.346 with System 10.5.7 and QT 7.6.2

• 18. Re: Chinchillada error
                                            big pink Level 1

I'm also getting the beach ball of death for about 45 seconds before a RAM preview.

• 19. Re: Chinchillada error

Big Pink:

Thanks for posting this.

I'd also suggest you add your e-mail address in the crash reporter dialog next time this happens, and send the report to Adobe. No personal information (except the e-mai you enterl) is sent, but it does include information that helps diagnose what triggered the crash.

• 20. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                I'm also getting the beach ball of death for about 45 seconds before a RAM preview.

This a completely different issue.

This most likely is caused by not having enough RAM to feed 8 rendering instances (one per core). 30 to 45 seconds is normal for the very first time you invoke RAM preview in a work session (ie, every time you launch the app). After that, it should be instantaneous. If it isn't, it's a sign the rendering instances are shutting down because of lack of RAM.

You need at least 2 GB per core/rendering instance, or you may experience this kind of slow-down. In your case, with 10 GB and 8 cores, I'd suggest going to Preferences > Memory and multiprocessing and set "CPUs free for other applications" to 4, so that AE can properly launch and use rendering instances for the other 4 cores.

You can add more RAM if you want to use more/all cores.

• 21. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                  big pink Level 1

Thanks. This is really helpful. I've been using AE since it was CoSA and I still don't understand all of the memory settings. Is there a "Memory Settings in After Effects for Dummies?"

• 22. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                    Socialkaos.

Hi guys

I have same error like You, but on Vista 64 2x quadcore Xeon (8gb)  with fully upgraded CS4.

In my case, error pop up when I switch to other (tab)  composition.

I Clicked tab, and Chinchilada died...

• 23. Re: Chinchillada error

Please provide more info. What graphics card? What screen resolution? What footages do you use? Do you use OpenGL? the program kicking out during user-interactive operations is usually related to some of that. Also be aware that 8GB is not enough to allow all cores to be used with multiprocessing, so as a start, make sure to reduce the number of cores to use for that and set your memory and disk cache settings accordingly.

Mylenium

• 24. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                        Socialkaos. Level 1

Hello

I think "program kicking out (..) " is related to buggy CS4

Spec:

Dual 1280x1024 on Nvidia 9800 GT

8 Xeon cores (i use 4 but i don't know how to configure minimum allocation per cpu)

Intel D5400xs board with dedicated ram.

Vista 64 SP2 and minimal set of software and codecs.

Project is simple, couple of  AI, PSD, ( i use small files, simple bitmaps and vectors)

4-5 compositions and it's all.

Please tell me more about configuring memory and disk cache please.

Greetz

Martin

• 25. Re: Chinchillada error

The bad news is, that your specific graphics card model has been known to cause issues with many Adobe apps. Therefore I can only repeat the same sermon - try to find a different/newer/older driver for it until it works. Since you are on Vista, you may also wish to manually tweak the options for appearance (set to basic or Win XP and see if it helps) and the fancies for desktoip composition and transparency effects... The rest of your config sounds just fine, given the simple nature of your projects. In the crunch, you may wish to reduce the number of CPUs to use to 3, but that's on a as needed basis, not per se.

Mylenium

• 26. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                            Socialkaos. Level 1

Thank you Millenium

• 27. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                              thralthamidor Level 1

Is there a solution yet for this? I just started AE after being gone for several months on a project. Worked fine before. Now I get the Chinchillada error and AE shuts down every time while trying to open. The only thing I have done since returning is run Apple and Adobe updates. I've removed all the plugs, same problem.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

• 28. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                big pink Level 1

Adobe did put out an update > 9.0.2.42. Knock on wood, I think it may have fixed the problem.

• 29. Re: Chinchillada error

That update was released three months ago

• 30. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                    big pink Level 1

I tend not to download those every time they pop up. Shame on me. I also stopped working on a project that was using MPEG 4 video and I think that may have had something to do with it. Or maybe it was Mercury in retrograde or bad karma from a previous life.

• 31. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                                      > I tend not to download those every time they pop up.

I strongly recommend installing the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update. If you don't have the updates installed, then there is a good chance that the bugs that you are asking about have already been fixed, which wastes the time of the people volunteering their time on this forum. We (the After Effects team) don't release a lot of extraneous updates; the ones that go out tend to really matter.

• 32. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                        big pink Level 1

sorry. I do download the AE updates (I am selective about some of the others) but I will certainly check before I post in the future. I didn't mean to waste your time. I do appreciate the support and I've bookmarked your blog.

• 33. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                          thralthamidor Level 1

"I strongly recommend installing the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update. If you don't have the updates installed, then there is a good chance that the bugs that you are asking about have already been fixed, which wastes the time of the people volunteering their time on this forum. We (the After Effects team) don't release a lot of extraneous updates; the ones that go out tend to really matter."

Hello, I tried to download this immediately upon having problems. It wouldn't install, it said that my AE was up to date.  The program is dead in the water, crashes every time I open it.

Actually the only difference between 'when it worked' and 'now that it doesn't' seems to be because of THAT update. I was gone for several months and had used it just before I left. Upon returning I opened another Adobe app and it updated the updater and then did some downloads for CS4, AE, etc. Any other suggestions to be able to open AE? Thanks. 

• 34. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                            JakeBerube

ok, I've had this same problem.  I think I know what the solution is.  When I got the error the first time, it was after installing plugins on a computer that had previously worked fine when opening AE.  What I did was open: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CS4/MediaCore and removed all of the contents and put them in a temporary folder on the desktop.  After that AE opened fine.  From there, just keep adding your plugins back to MediaCore one by one and find out which one made the application startup error.

Hope that works for you!

• 35. Re: Chinchillada error
                                                                              medicisman

ok, I've had this same problem.  I think I know what the solution is.  When I got the error the first time, it was after installing plugins on a computer that had previously worked fine when opening AE.  What I did was open: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CS4/MediaCore and removed all of the contents and put them in a temporary folder on the desktop.  After that AE opened fine.  From there, just keep adding your plugins back to MediaCore one by one and find out which one made the application startup error.

Hope that works for you!

Thanks JakeBerube for this info.

Following this procedure, I narrowed the causes of my crashes in AE CS4 to the three plugins that comprise Red Giant Software's Warp.

Removing them from the MediaCore folder solved the problem.

I am using the latest version of the plugins, and have contacted Red Giant. No resolution yet, but at least my three days of agony (and endless reinstalls) is over!