8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 3:31 AM by MKFISSO

Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"

MKFISSO

Friends PC in Italy had Reader 9.0 (Italian) installed and working fine. It has had Reader in various versions Italian & English over the last 5 years with no problems.

Tried to update it to latest/securist version but got an error message that the update had failed in Italian (which I don't read)..

Decided to uninstall and reinstall the latest version instead.

Uninstall went through fine via control panel with no errors.

Installing the 9.1.x Italian or English for XP SP3 (and also the 8.x.x) all fail every time with, the English version error message saying (and the Italian also) every time at c99% of the Nosso Adobe download manager:
      "Adobe Reader 9.1 requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater. Please visit www.microsoft.com to upgrade Internet Explorer."

XP is XP Pro SP3 (Italian)

MS IE about says 7.0.5730.13

Belarc advisor reports Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 7.00.6000.16850

Have followed the MS KB 917964 tips to (a) reset IE7 and (b) Reinstall IE7 with no change in Adobe Reader symptoms = stuck without Reader which is not a happy place to be.

HELP anyone ?

MK

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
          michael.varnell Level 2

Hello, MK:

It sounds to me like a problem with the ActiveX plugin and/or Download Manager. While this will not address that particular issue, to get Reader reinstalled, try downloading the standalone installer from the FTP site noted below. Once downloaded, close all browser windows and run the install. The smaller of the files on the FTP site do not include Acrobat.com and AIR (recommended).

RE: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/ita/

I hope this helps!

Michael

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
            MKFISSO Level 1

Michael

Thanks for a very rapid attempt to help me out.

Unfortunately neither of the ftp files completes their installation:

The EXE does the usual 90%+ then comes up with the same message re requires IE6+

The MSI gives that same error message almost instantly!

So still totally stuck

(It's not interraction with antivirus etc as disabled/suspended them.)

BTW It was MS KB 318678 I followed

"How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP"

Method 1 and 2 that had already tried. Not 917964.

MK

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
              michael.varnell Level 2

Thanks for testing that out for me, MK. Let's check the Windows registry setting to see if the info Adobe Reader is seeking is correct. I don't want you to make any changes to the registry just yet. I just want to see what the path is before we make any changes.

1. Choose Start > Run.
              2. Type regedit in the Open text box, and then click OK to start the Windows Registry Editor.
              3. In the Registry Editor, make a backup copy of the registry by choosing Registry > Export Registry File. In the Export Registry File dialog box, choose a location and type a name for the backup file, and then click Save.
              4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \App Paths \IEXPLORE.EXE.
              5. Double-click Default in the IEXPLORE.EXE folder.
              6. Copy the path to Internet Explorer in the Value text box (the correct setting should be: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE).
              7. Click CANCEL, and then close the Registry Editor.
              8. Paste the path you copied here into the forum thread

Thanks,

Michael

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
                MKFISSO Level 1

Path there (in Predefinito ie Default) is

C:\Programmi\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

and btw the Windows File properties version for that file says

7.00.6000.16850 (vista_gdr.090423-0018)

Thanks for your continuing assistance in this (its helping reduce the stick I'm getting from friends for trying to help them be more secure, and failing so far but I'm hoping I see light at the end of the tunnel...)

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
                  michael.varnell Level 2

It's my pleasure to help others in need when I can, MK. It also keeps me sharp so I benefit from it as well

Can you verify for me that the path you posted is where the IEXPLORE.EXE actually resides? I believe you may have already done so by giving me the version number of the file in question but I'd rather not presume before we move on. Also, what language is the operating system in? Italian?

Thanks,

Michael

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
                    MKFISSO Level 1

Yes to both counts.

The iexplore.exe file is where that path led to.

And the XP Pro SP3 is Italian.

MK

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
                      michael.varnell Level 2

Thanks, MK. I was hoping the fix would be as simple as modifying an entry in the registry but everything seems to be in the proper order this far. I have seen a resolution to this issue which involved using a program named Orca to modify the MSI installer package so that it foregoes checking for IE but that should be totally un-necessary and it a fairly technical approach. I can provide you those directions if you are interested but I'd rather have you check a few others things first to see if we can actually get to the root of the issue.

First, let's try running a few Microsoft tools to hopefully resolve any errant registry or disk issues:

Cleanup temporary files:

1. Open My Computer

2. Right-click the C:\ drive > click Properties

3. Click Disk Cleanup > place a checkmark in all options except "Compress Old Files" > click OK

Repair file system issues:

1. Open My Computer

2. Right-click the C:\ drive > click Properties

3. Click the Tools tab > click Check Disk

4. Place a checkmark in "Automatically fix file system errors"

Repair registry:

1. Disable any anti-virus software that may be installed

2. Go to: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Click Full Service Scan

4. Install any necessary plugins when prompted

5. Run the complete scan when prompted and allow it to fix any issues it finds

Since we are dealing with an Italian version of the OS, the site may redirect to the Italian version of the site (hopefully one exists). The OneCare Live safety scanner is meant to be a security tool for removing malware (not great at that part of its job) but it also includes a registry repair tool that has resolved many odd registry issues I have encountered since finding the tool.

Finally, if none of the above fixes the issue, Adobe has a tool named CS3Cleaner which removes all traces of the Adobe SC3 suite. In doing so, it has proven to also remove most, if not all traces of ANYTHING Adobe. Uninstall all Adobe products prior to using this tool and see if it doesn't clean up any miscreant traces of the corrupted file and/or registry that may be causing the issue.

CS3Cleaner: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

My bag of tricks is getting thinner so if this doesn't fix the issue, I will have to dig deep to see what else I can come up with.

Best of success!

Michael

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader 9.x & 8.x "requires Internet Explorer 6"
                        MKFISSO Level 1

Well the good news is that now Adobe Reader enabled again.

Difficult to be certain which step solved it, but did the following based on your help above and at the end of them all it did install whereas before it had not!

1. Cleanup temporary files excepting compressing old files.

2. Repaired the file system - ie chkdsk without finding anything.

3. Removed AVG and visited the OneCare site and got offered in Italian the full OneCare (90day free trial, in Italian) so downloaded that and ran a scan of the PC - it reported a trojan skintrim.f and removed it!

4. Removed OneCare and reverted to AVG as realised the full OneCare wasn't what you were talking about and know it's due to be discontinued anyway and likely to cause more grief for friends PC than their longstanding AVG.

5. Looked properly for what you were referring to ie Googled for "OneCare Live Safety Scanner" and got http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm which had a multi-country licence agreement so assumed it would be okay on an IT system. Ran various options on it INCLUDING the Registry Repair checkbox and completed happily. Realised didn't notice anything about what it may have done to the Registry and ran again with JUST the Registry Repair option and the second report was to effect nothing needing doing, so may have missed anything it said it had done the first time.

6. Using the Adobe Reader 9.1.1 IT MSI package downladed from earlier trial ran that and it sailed away and installed 9.1.1

7. Used the Reader update menu to update to 9.1.2 immediately.

= Success! So thanks Michael for your help and prompting and hope this thread can help others in the same circumstances - ie PROBABLY using the Step 5 OneCare Live Safety Scanner MIGHT have been enough for our circumstances but who knows, all's well that ends well.

MK