15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 5:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Black border after rendering

Philnolan_3d Level 1

My video is perfect while I'm working on it but every time I hit Enter to render it does render, but also all of the video clips jump a little, creating this black border around them all on the top and sides.  I can fix it by adjusting the anchor point or position one notch, but I have to do that for every clip and then of course the "rendered" line turns red again.  This seems like a bug.  Here's a screenshot showing this border:

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/a36c4cce-e737-40a4-bc50-e77d3c0aed09/2009-07-09_1145.png

• 1. Re: Black border after rendering
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks more like OE to me. Possibly a difference between the source material and the sequence settings. Since there are no mind readers here, look at this link and the links in there:

Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Black border after rendering
            Philnolan_3d Level 1

It doesn't take a mind reader to ask questions.  Even if you don't have the answer you could say A. nothing or B. If that's a bug I haven't heard of it or C. "Could you share some more information about _______?" or D. something similar.  See?  There's lots of [better, edited by host] ways to respond [edited by host].

• 3. Re: Black border after rendering
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Read the link. It may help you. There are a lot of questions in these links and you have answered none.

• 4. Re: Black border after rendering
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Could you share some more information on everything asked in the links I gave you? See there's lots of ways to respond to questions, but if you don't answer them....

• 5. Re: Black border after rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The two important aspects are:

1.) Project/Sequence settings

2.) Assets - full specs

I agree that it is most likely a mismatch between these, and not that big a mismatch.

A quick fix would be to use Motion>Scale and/or Motion>Position, but you should not have to do so.

Good luck, and please report those settings and specs.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Black border after rendering
                    Philnolan_3d Level 1

Here is the settings panels as well as the info for footage (image sequences) and still images (just logo bugs like in the image above).  Just to be clear this doesn't just happen to a few clips, everything is fine before hitting Enter and everything has that border afterwards.

• 7. Re: Black border after rendering
                      Philnolan_3d Level 1

I'm still feeling like this is a bug.  As suggested adjusting the motion position / scale is a quick fix, but then as soon as I render it gets messed up again, thus making it not really a fix at all.  Plus if I move the verticle position up one number it fixes the entire gap, both vertically and horizontally.

Interestingly when I make that fix, suppose the number is at 243 (as it was in the test I just did) and to fix it I raise the number to 244.  Now I hit Enter to render.  The black border appears, but the number is still at 244.  So if I want to fix it again I'll have to raise the number again, this time to 245.

• 8. Re: Black border after rendering
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I'm not quite sure what you are doing, when you are adjusting:

when I make that fix, suppose the number is at 243 (as it was in the test I just did) and to fix it I raise the number to 244.  Now I hit Enter to render.  The black border appears, but the number is still at 244.

Your Project/Sequence is 720 x 486, which appears to be the largest Frame Size of any of your Assets. Are the Sequences in the Project each set to the Frame Size of the contained Assets, or are you using Motion>Scale to fit them into the 720 x 486 Sequences?

Where are you using the 243 and 244? Is this in the Effects Control Panel>Effect>Motion>Scale, vertical dimension setting, or elsewhere.

It's probably that I am just not following something in the workflow, and not something that you're doing, but I'm not clear on a few aspects.

Thanks,

Hunt

[Edit] I think I just got it. You are inputting the 243 into Motion>Position for the center of your Asset. Sorry, it took a moment to sink in.

• 9. Re: Black border after rendering
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Quick question: your system doesn't have a Matrox card, does it?

Hunt

• 10. Re: Black border after rendering
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Another thing that I see, and someone else is going to have to chime in on this, but:

You have setup a Desktop Project/Sequence of 720 x 486. You have some 720 x 486 PAR 0.9 and also some with a PAR of 1.0, plus variously sized Assets below that with differing PAR's. You are using the DV CODEC, which should give you 720 x 480 PAR 0.9. Could the difference when Rendered be the DV CODEC?

Note: the actual 4:3 PAR is carried out to the proper places, but I was lazy in my typing and just went with 0.9. Still, could the CS4 correction in PAR be to blame?

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Black border after rendering
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Totally off-topic, but which ship and model is that on the screen. Some of it looks like the P-51 in either the A through C model, but it looks like a radial engine and not the in-line of P-51. The canopy with the fuselage behind it looks like an early P-51, but the wing-mount ordinance pylons did not come in, until about the G model, and the canopy was then a full bubble. Also, I do not see the radiator air scoop on the belly, but it could just be the angle here.

Just curious - now, back to the regularly scheduled progam,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Black border after rendering
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually it is the Z version, an experimental plane used for testing unmanned aircraft.

• 13. Re: Black border after rendering
                                  Philnolan_3d Level 1

Actually, it's a P-47D with the razorback canopy, as oposed to the bubble type.  I'll reply to the other comments after I make more sense of them.  lol

• 14. Re: Black border after rendering
                                    Philnolan_3d Level 1

Problem solved, it looks like it was the preview codec.  Not sure why, but switching it to Intel IYUV Codec solved it.  After using Speed Edit and After Effects for all of my editing for years I'm not used to the resolution or aspect ratio meaning much.

Thanks for the help!

• 15. Re: Black border after rendering
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. That was one of the directions that I was going with:

You have setup a Desktop Project/Sequence of 720 x 486. You have some 720 x 486 PAR 0.9 and also some with a PAR of 1.0, plus variously sized Assets below that with differing PAR's. You are using the DV CODEC, which should give you 720 x 480 PAR 0.9. Could the difference when Rendered be the DV CODEC?

Because of the small difference in the Frame Sizes and also the size of the black bars, it seemed to fit, as a possibility.

Also, thanks for the spec. on the ship.

Good luck,

Hunt