8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 8:00 AM by sk81

How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4

dube911

I understand that motion tween is a new form of tween in CS 4 however  I am unable to move a keyframe within the time line? am I missing something? I would hope I could select the keyframe (diamond  shape) and move it around the timeline but apprently Im missing something.. I am not able to do a cut and copy either... is this normal behavior?

thanks

cheers

stephan

• 1. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
          jendehaan Level 4

Hey,

You can move a keyframe by selecting it (ctrl+click) and then dragging it to a new location.

You can do a cut/copy in the same way as the past - you can select a frame or more (ctrl+drag to select a range of frames), and then alt+drag to do a copy/move, or just drag to move them, or right-click and copy frames/paste frames as before.

Hope that helps,

Jen.

• 2. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
            dube911 Level 1

Hello Jen

Thanks for looking into this. However the behavior that you are describing is for Classic Tween in CS 4 there is  anew type of tween called Motion Tween and I realize that you can not simply select a frame/key when you try to select it, it selects the whole tween together so I dont believe you can actualy change the keyframe in a motion tween. not sure why that is..but Im pretty sure its not possible. If you look at the graphic that was part of my question there is a diamond shape keyframe Im simply not able to select this (it selects the whole tween) Im thinking to do complex animations I should stick with classic tween as youi can in fact move keyframes around!

Thanks for the help

cheers

stephan

• 3. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
              jendehaan Level 4

Hi Stephan,

I know you're talking about the new tweens. I assure you those are the steps for new motion in CS4 (I work on the feature here at Adobe). In my post above I note to hold Ctrl when you click. You do that to select a single frame in the tween span.

Jen.

• 4. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
                dube911 Level 1

Jen your a life saver thank you so much.. ok I just realize what I was doing wrong..I was keeping CTRL down while I was trying to move the key... arghhh stupid mistake..but hey it works perfectly! Thank you so much for looking into this..

(now Im going to go back to my corner and do more flash work ahhahaha)

thanks again.

• 5. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
                  jendehaan Level 4

No worries!  Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

• 6. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
                    sk81

Hi all- I was just reading this because I was having the same problem. I'm on a Mac and I can only select a frame by holding down COMMAND. When I hold down CTRL the menu pops up. Just FYI for Mac users.

Anyway, I have a separate issue but still related. Once I make all the frames in my motion tween, I am unable to edit the movie clip's positioning at each frame after I create them. When I go to rotate the movie clip or elongate it, it just pops right back into the positioning that it was in the first time I placed it. Why can't I go back and edit those?

What I'm doing to help you understand is this: I have a bunch of lines that I'm animating to rotate and collapse in on one another so that it looks like a box folding up. But each of those lines need to stay attached to another object I have created as they are moving. So I'm having to match them up every few frames. When I play the animation, I'll sometimes see that at one point the line doesn't meet up exactly and I try to edit it just on that one frame and it won't let me.

Thanks for your help!!

sarah

• 7. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
                      jendehaan Level 4

Do you have 3D applied to those instances?

• 8. Re: How to move a keyframe from a Motion Tween in Flash CS4
                        sk81 Level 1

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quick. Work is chaotic right now or I would have replied sooner.

Anyway, my lines aren't actually 3D at all. Everything, including the box, are 2D. But that does give me an idea, once I'm more proficient in Flash if I decide to make this animation even better in the future.

I attached a screenshot of my homepage. You'll see a set of lines on the left side that surround a square with Sarah Knouse LeCroy inside. (That square is what I was referring to as a 'box'...probably not a good description.) I want that square to move down to the bottom left corner when you click on Portfolio, Contact or Resume. As it moves, I want the lines to collapse and fold together so that it looks like they're all neatly getting 'packed away' so that all that's left when viewing, say Portfolio, is an empty page with the square down in the lower left corner.

What is the best way to animate those lines in CS4? Most of the lines do not need to stay connected to the square as it's moving so I think I can just do a Classic tween for those. But the 3 diagonal ones DO need to stay connected to the box as it's moving. I was doing a motion tween and rotating/elongating each line in sections but they still didn't match up exactly in some places during the move. When I would try to go back and adjust a position I had set, it would just pop right back to the original position.

The last problem I'm having is an issue with getting this animation to play only when you leave the homepage and click to Portfolio, Contact or Resume.

But don't want to overwhelm so just answer what you have time for! Later, I could attach my main timeline so that you could see what I already have set up.

Thanks so much!