11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 10:57 AM by jatmraz

CS4 and Windows VISTA

Helmuth Fischer Level 1

Hi out there,

had CS3 installed on Windows VISTA and experienced numerous crashes. I am editing in HD (AVCHD and HDV). Was told that Windows XP is more stable. Upgraded to CS4 and at the same time installed XP. No longer any problems. I am moving to documentaries with longish video lengths. No I am told that XP only sees limited file sizes (3.5Gb ?) and VISTA would be the answer (also 64 bit). I don't want to go back to VISTA and experience the crashes again. Anyone experience with VISTA and CS4? Has the stability of VISTA in the meantime improved to the level of XP? Or has CS4 learned to handle VISTA? Advise appreciated. Helmuth

• 1. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use WinXp and NTFS formatted drives, and have had single files of "about" 26Gig for 2 hours of DV AVI type 2 video

• 2. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Many have crossed over to Vista/CS4 without problems. If you want to use more than 4 GB RAM, you need the 64 bit version.

• 3. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
              Level 1

CS4 has been fairly stable on Vista 64 for me, though it still has its moments.

You may be confusing ram memory limits with file size.

• 4. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I am using Vista 64 and CS4 regularly It works very well.  I do not know the file size limit for XP 32-bit but I have captured full 85 minute tapes which are about a file size of 18 GB, as others have said it has nothing to do with the 4GB RAM limitation.

• 5. Problem with CS4 & Vista
                  flbreen Level 1

I just upgraded from a 4 year old Dell dual core PC running PP 1.5 to a new Dell Quad core I7 with 6GB running Vista and CS4 and I would rather edit on the old system.

When I fast forward through the SD avi video the preview freezes and skips frames - it is so jumpy I don't know where I am in the video.

The old system can smoothly scan through the video and any speed.

Is there something I can do the improve the performance?

• 6. Re: Problem with CS4 & Vista
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Get rid of the Aero GUI, turn off all unecessary processes, turn off indexing on all disks get rid of all the unecessary programs that Dell put on your system, tune the system for performance.  Do you have at least one seperate disk drive for OS/applications and we hope at least one or more drives for project/media/cache/output?

• 7. Re: Problem with CS4 & Vista
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

flbreen wrote:

I just upgraded from a 4 year old Dell dual core PC running PP 1.5 to a new Dell Quad core I7 with 6GB running Vista and CS4 and I would rather edit on the old system.

When I fast forward through the SD avi video the preview freezes and skips frames - it is so jumpy I don't know where I am in the video.

The old system can smoothly scan through the video and any speed.

Is there something I can do the improve the performance?

You already have a message thread at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/460194?tstart=0

• 8. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I am told that XP only sees limited file sizes (3.5Gb ?)

This is the amount of RAM that the OS sees, and is NOT the limit on file sizes. The only file size limitations will come from working with DV-AVI Type I files, or from using FAT-32 formatted HDD's. PrPro is built around using DV-AVI Type II files, which are not limited in file size.

As John points out, one can work with Projects of vastly larger sizes, than the amount of RAM.

For more info on setting up an NLE (Non Linear Editing) system, see Harm Millard's three great articles:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436196?tstart=0
                        http://forums.adobe.com/message/1967837#1967837
                        http://forums.adobe.com/message/1936577#1936577

Almost everything you would want to know about setting up for NLE work will be in these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
                          jatmraz Level 1

For information:

I just built a system:

- i7 920 processor

- 6MB mem

- ASUS P6T Deleuxe Motherboard

- 850W PSU

- LG DVD RW player

- 500GB/1.5TB Seagate SATA HD's

- Case, CPU thermal fan, etc

for $1500, installed Vista 64 and haven't run into many problems. Those I have, I suspect are memory/cpu related such: intensive renederings in CS4 AE, crashing EN by dumping in one 55 min timeline (via dynamic link) of an PP project comprised of several layers of graphics and .MTS video. I can easily scrub trhough and watch .MTS files in high resolution so as long as I don't have many effects/transitions. I'll see a few slow downs as the frames progress through the transition effect.

HD's aren't RAID(ed), all Windows and apps reside on C drive. I store all files and projects on the 1.5TB drive and set the caches to store there as well (for no other reason then to think it was for the best)

I haven't yet resorted to turning off the sidebar or Vista's Aero Gui or OC my cpu. My next step will be to defintely add another 6MB of DDR3 mem. Until recently, I was running these apps off a stock comp (dual processor, 2.2 GHz, Vista 32) bought from Costco so from there to where I am now - the upgrade is breathtaking.

Hope this helps

Joe

• 10. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            I haven't yet resorted to turning off the sidebar or Vista's Aero Gui

These are the first things you ought to do with Vista. Both are memory and resource hogs and turning them off will significantly increase performance.

• 11. Re: CS4 and Windows VISTA
                              jatmraz Level 1

Defintely will now! I found your post/guides on how to get the best performance from a PC, so I will be tweaking someother stuff as soon as I get home. Thanks

Joe