27 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 1:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?

Seagully Level 1

I am new to this and have the trial version of Premiere Pro CS4.  The first day everything was great and was easy to learn.  When the time came to drag my clip from the source monitor to the timeline, the lines for the timeline are present, but the words video track 1 etc. are missing.  For the last 14 days, I have been trying to locate the source track indicators.  I watched the video lessons, read the tuturials, tried to add new tracks ~ nothing works.  Customer Service can't help me and tech support won't because I don't have a plan with them.  I don't know what else to do.  Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PPro Troubleshooting http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

Do be aware that the trial version does NOTHING with any version of MPEG due to license constraints

Since you provide zero information about what you are doing (note the questions at the bottom of the link above) there is not much anyone here may say

• 2. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
            Seagully Level 1

Thank you for your response John T.   I thought I gave the info when I said I cannot drag the clip from the source monitor to the timeline and that the Source track indicators are missing.   I appreciate you trying to help.  I will look at the link you sent.

• 3. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?

Saying "clip" doesn't give enough information for anyone to help

The first question in the FINALLY section (near the bottom) of the link I posted is to determine what kind of clip... since, as I mentioned, the trial version has limitations

Hopefully, the top-to-bottom steps at that link will help

• 4. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                Powered by Design Level 4

are you saying that you dont have a timeline to drop your file into.

if so create a new timeline then double click it to open it and then drop the file into it.

If not take a screen shot and post what your screen looks like.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

• 5. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                  Seagully Level 1

Glenn,

THANK YOU!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU!!!  You are wonderful!  FINALLY, after 16 days, I have the video tracks.  I had really given up hope.  It is very frustrating for a new user as everyone assumes you know what they are talking about.  Not only am I new to editing, but it's the first time ever in a forum.  You gave me another avenue to pursue and it worked.  Thank you for taking the time to answer me and thank you for making my first time in a forum a positive experience.  I really don't know how this works so if I have to submit anything else for you to get the points for answering this question please let me know.

~Best~

Seagully

• 6. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Click on the CORRECT button under Glenn's post and you will award him the points.

Being totally new to editing and CS4 in particular, I suggest you take the time to read the manual from cover to cover. It will help you tremendously and more importantly it will acquaint you with the terms used. When you need to ask a question it is of significant advantage if you use the proper terms. You get a much quicker answer if people understand what you wrote. For instance display, source monitor and program monitor are different things. The quicker you learn the proper terminology, you more effective your questions will be and the answer you are waiting for will be much speedier.

Happy editing.

• 7. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the manual (highly recommended), the Help (F1), which is all you will have with the trial, is a great repository for info - though I still like "books" better, there is also the PrPro Wiki. From it, you will find the answers to many real world situations in the FAQ, and tons of great tutorials on how things are done in PrPro.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                        Seagully Level 1

Thank you Harm, I did click correct ans.

Seagully

• 9. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                          Seagully Level 1

Thanks Hunt!

Didn't know about the PrPro Wiki.  Will check it out.  Also, thanks for your good wishes!

Seagully

• 11. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                            Seagully Level 1

Ooops!  Before everyone gets upset, I stand corrected.  John T  forwarded the link before.  Have to get to editing now.  Thanks everyone!

Seagully

• 12. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct, and I should have given attribution to him for doing so first. Now, his link was specifically to the Troubleshooting page (a great resouce for working though problems), but he did beat me. All I did was point to the main page, from which the FAQ's (including John"s link) and the tutorials were linked from. That responsibility was actually mine, and not yours

While I love the Wiki and link to it often in replies, I have to admit that sometimes I am not the best, or quickest, at navigating its "search" functions. Over the years, I've gotten better, but still lag far behind many here in speed.

As a note to all posters, when anyone furnishes a link, it's a really good idea to follow those. Sometimes, the answer might be buried within another thread, or in the middle of a FAQ. I've found that with either case, the answer will usually be within. Along the way, other useful info can be found. One might get an answer to a question that they didn't even know they had. To all, please follow the links provided. While they may contain much more than one "thinks" they need at the time, most of the info, contained therein, will benefit.

As for Seagully and the trial, I have one question about the trial, as I have never done one for any Adobe program, is there a PDF "manual," that installs with it? This is something that I cannot easily checkout, and before I point any trial-user to "read the manual," I'd like to know if anything but a Web-link to F1 files exists. [As stated, I am less a fan of Web-based Help, and much more a fan of a real printed book, but I'm "old-school" to the core. Even though I've designed and built several sites, and have used the Internet from, well before the Internet was the Internet, I still like my books.]

Just curious,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?

I don't have a direct link for the CS4 version, but I did bookmark the CS3 online help at http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/index.html

I'm sure Adobe now has CS4 help online as well

• 14. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

While a physical manual is only available if specifically ordered, there is a downloadable PDF Help file available and the contents do not differ much or at all from the online help file, but it is not as convenient as the physical book IMO.

• 15. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if, with the trial, the link to that PDF is furnished anywhere, or would the user have to reasearch to find it.

Would be nice if with the trial, the splash screen came up with that link in large enough type for a user to see and notice it. It may already, but if not, I will file a Feature Request with Adobe to incorporate that.

Even though I had NLE experience before I went with PrPro, I do not think that I would have been able to do all that much, without first reading the manual. If it's available, whether in a downloadable PDF, or actually copied to the computer with the trial installation isn't really an issue, so long as the user doing the trial knows where to go and how to get it. I have just got to rely on folk, who have the trial, or know more about it to furnish details.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                      Powered by Design Level 4

Im glad you got it going Seagully.

Its hard to ask questions when you really dont know what to ask.

Your question sounded familar since I have closed all timelines a time or two and have noticed that everything goes away.

Of course I just double click a new sequence and the timelines re-open and I continue on my way.

Good luck and keep playing with your trial.

Adobe is really getting this Suite together and learning it make for a nice finished project.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 19. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Its hard to ask questions when you really dont know what to ask.

Glenn,

You make a very good point. Even with a well-written manual and/or Help file, if one does not know the exact terminology, finding answers can be difficult. As some of this terminology differs from program to program, because one knows Avid, or FCP, they might not be able to easily find info in PrPro, just because of those differences.

The fora are pretty good for breaking things down and also providing the correct terminology for PrPro, so the user can find it all easily the next time through.

Video editing also brings a lot of new terms, that just did not exist in film. It can be confusing. Though, with but a few quesitons and clarifications, the forum can really be a god-send.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn and Bill,

You both make solid and good points.

The problems often is that the OP uses terminology that is not readily recognized here. He/she may use terms that were commonly used in AVID/FCP/Edius/Vegas but not in Adobe programs. Since all we have to go on is what is written in these fora, it makes it especially important to use the proper terminology. Hence my suggestion to use the Help file or manual to get acquainted with the various components and their names. If people take the time to read those, they can pose more effective questions that readers can understand and will result in more speedy answers, instead of wasting bandwidth with a lot of to-and-fro posts, just to understand what he/she is talking about.

• 21. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                            Seagully Level 1

Glenn,

Appreciate your expertise and good wishes.  I've accomplished a lot since I found the timelines via your info. and it is once again, enjoyable.

If it keeps running this smoothly, I will get the full version.  The video instruction is a real plus as some people need to actually see it inorder to understand  it.  Your step by step instruction and encouragement, however, was very helpful to a new person such as myself.  I am grateful.

I'm off to happily edit!  Thanks to all who tried to help me.

Seagully

• 22. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I cannot disagree. Many is the post, where I sat and though, "what is it that the OP wants, or is trying to do?"

Most of my first read of the Premiere manual was just to learn the terms. Some of this had to come by looking at the full context of the explaination, and then doing reverse engineering. It takes a bit to learn to "think in Premiere." Of course it's the same for any NLE, but we're talking about Premiere here. By the second reading, much more made sense, as the terminology was starting to connect. By the third reading a lot of blanks were filled in.

However, even years later, I still have to really pause and reflect, when looking for something in the Help files - OK, what is that called again? What search term do I need here? What would be nice is a "Rosetta Stone," that gave the operation and then the Adobe, the Avid, the FCP, etc. "translation" of it. That is one reason that I try to capitalize terms that appear in the Adobe index, or in bold in the manual. There is a difference between a "project," and a "Project."

As you strive to always use the proper Premiere terminology, it's nice to see when you share it with a newer user. I believe that the vast majority greatly appreciate that little extra, added to the solution of their problem. You can almost see the lightbulb go on, with they realize what something is properly called in Premiere-speak. OK, there might be a few, who resent anyone pointing these little things out, but I'll be they feel the same way, when their English (or fill in the language) teacher hands back their composition. Those people can just never be helped.

Thanks for all that you do,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                                Seagully Level 1

Ok.... 

I tried to ignore all this but since this seems to be an ongoing contention with some,  I need to address the issue.   I did not write my question or information blindly.  I did take the time to look at the pdf version in the Premiere Pro Help and Support so I would use the proper terms.   When dealing with a new product, if what you are expecting to see is not there, it is very confusing.   In Chapter 8 pg. 130 it states: "A single timeline panel appears in a frame in the lower central portion of the screen when you first launch Adobe Premiere Pro.   It did not in my case.  Looking at the diagram, I realized that it was not the same as what I was seeing and I described exactly what was missing to the forum.  On the diagram located on Pg. 131, letter (F) points to the video and audio tracks.  Pg. 132 the letter (F) corresponds with the name "source track indicators".   I explained exactly what happened that I could not drag my clip from the "source monitor."  to the "timeline."   Sometimes, products are not always downloaded completely, and before I spent anymore time looking for something that's not there, (after 14 days) I came to the forum of which I was directed by tech support.  After reading what I originally wrote, I explained to this forum exactly what was happening to me step by step and these were the names associated with my problem.  So, at least I made an attempt (which I still don't understand what was wrong with my question) to try to use the correct terms so that I wouldn't waste anyones time.  In all fairness, I think you should review some of the responses about things I didn't ask, and something about the word "clip"  that seemed to bother someone.   Well, that's exactly what I ment to say that I couldn't drag the clip from the source monitor.  That term was fine when the video instructor used it.  So, now you know where I got my terms from to try to ask a question.  I wasn't irresponsible, I tried to find the answer and to get help from customer service and tech support for 14 days before I asked on here.  I did the best that I could.  Glenn didn't have a problem understanding what I was talking about or providing the proper solution.   He also wasn't condescending... he was encouraging ~ which is what a forum should be. 

Seagully

• 24. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Seagully,

I hope that my post was not taken personally. It was meant in a general sense about a lot of questions and definitely not at you personally.

Since you explicitly mentioned you were new to the program I mentioned that it may pay to read the manual, and while we are at that topic, I looked up your specific references in the physical manual and found your first reference on page 117, the second one on page 118. Unimportant what the page numbers are.

If I sounded condescending, my apologies. It wasn't meant to sound like that. To repeat, my remark was a general remark, not pointed at you personally, but as often happens in a thread, generalizations creep in.

• 25. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Harm points out, some discussions can spread out tangentially. This can be a bad thing, but the discussion is usually worthwhile.

I started bemoaning the lack of a good glossary of PrPro terms to make it easiest to communicate. I still have to grab my manual, to try to give the proper terms and syntax, when doing a reply. Within reason, I want the user to go to the Menu that I mention, and find the exact setting or choice from a drop-down. Yes, different versions of the software can make that difficult, but fortunately the terms do not change all that often. It is more likely their location and then some general wording.

I found nothing wrong with your question, but may have either read between the lines, of maybe if there was a quesition in my mind, someone else had already filled in the blanks, when I saw the thread.

I've had posts asking some question about Keyframes in PrPro devolve into a heated discussion on AE vs PrPro, and then morph into a discussion on the best Export settings from AE. It happens, and I usually learn something totally unrelated to my question along the way.

The forum layout had the potential to make some of these side-discussion a bit more clear, but the software they are based on, does not seem to handle the Reply To in a most logical sense. Some view in Threaded View and Some in Flat View. Threaded does have the advantage of showing who replied to whom, but I found out that one lost all references to post numbers - this helps tell what is new, and what is older. Flat View gives the post numbers, but it's tough (unless your read the Reply To info at the head of the reply) to know exactly what was said to whom.

Please do not take any of the side-discussions to heart. I (and I believe most) was commenting on a lack of easy access to the exact Adobe terms, and nothing more.

Sorry if I took the thread too far off-topic, as that was never my intention.

Hunt

PS @Harm - I see that you got the "happy editor" smile to work. Eddie could not get his version to function on the new forum. I had missed that little guy.

• 26. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                                      Seagully Level 1

Dear Harm and Hunt,

Thank you for taking the time to make things right.  I did feel it was directed at me and I appreciate your clarification.  We're good!

Seagully

• 27. Re: Are my source track indicators missing from my trial version?
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        We're good!

That is great. Besides wanting to help others, who come here, part of it is to make everyone feel welcome. The person who first shows up with a question, may be the one with the answer next time - when I need the answer.

Too many fora are about other things, and Adobe's are very good, IMHO. If they were not, I'd spend a lot less time here.

No, sorry that things were taken out of context. I should never have let that happen, but just did not realize the potential.

Hunt