3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 4:59 PM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

case-sensitive filesystems

java the hutt

Can Adobe please fix he Flash Builder for Mac installer to install the files with correct case so that Flash Builder can run on a case-sensitive filesystem?  As is, it's broken.  I never had any trouble running Flex Builder 2 or 3 on a case-sensitive filesystem.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: case-sensitive filesystems
          C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi,

Sorry about this. This isn't really a limitation of FB itself, but is connected to some Adobe Core Tech libraries we've begun using, that don't support case-sensitive volumes on OS X yet. I'll check with Core Tech, and see how soon they expect to resolve that.

What are the symptoms you're seeing on that machine - does it simply fail to launch, or does it give you a specific error message about the volume format?

-Chris

• 2. Re: case-sensitive filesystems
            java the hutt Level 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm surprised I never replied before.  It must have fallen through the cracks.

Anyway, I installed FB 4 beta 2 today, and I'm having the same problems.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged.  This is a pervasive problem in Adobe products.  I have to run Photoshop and Flash Professional inside a Parallels Windows VM because they won't install on my machine, and they can't be installed anywhere but in the root filesystem.

At least FB 4 can be installed in a user-specified location.

Can you check with Core Tech and ask for mercy?  I know I'm part of a small minority, but I've had no trouble with any other applications on my system.  I come from a Unix background where case-sensitivity is assumed, and I like it very much.

Fixing this may be as simple as patching the installer to install files with the names that are used by Core Tech, assuming Core Tech consistently uses the same case for the same files within their libraries.

I very much appreciate your help.

Cheers.

• 3. Re: case-sensitive filesystems
              C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi,

Sorry that I don't have better news for you on this.

We checked with Core Tech about this, and learned that the Creative Suite team maintains a firm requirement for preventing installation on Mac drives formatted with the "case sensitive" option. I don't know all of the reasons for it, but turns out that it's much broader than just the original Core Tech dependencies mentioned earlier. There's some potential for Flash Builder being included with certain of the CS5 Suites, so we need to play by those rules if we want to become part of the Suite.

As an alternate workaround, could you attach a secondary boot drive to your Mac, and format that drive with the default non-case-sensitive settings: Mac OS Extended, with or without journaling? I usually keep a couple of alternate boot drives handy for running alternate versions of OS X, and for emergencies. With the low price of big drives these days, it's no longer as cost prohibitive as it used to be.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

-Chris