14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 6:04 AM by flaglerspirits

Adobe reader doesnt work :(

RickLap

Adobe Reader 9.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I tryed the new update and does the same thing at first it would close internet explorer 7 but i disabled pdf linker helper and the pdf file downloads to my desktop okay but when i go to open it it just closes any ideas i tryed alot to fix this with no success

• 1. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Remove Adobe Reader. Run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup then install Reader again.

• 2. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
            RickLap Level 1

Nope i did the windows install cleanup and when i open the pdf it does the same thang closes

Adobe Reader 9.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• 3. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
              michael.varnell Level 2

Hello, Rick:

Check the event logs to see if any further information as logged from the failed install.

1. Right-click My Computer > Manage

2. Expand the Event Viewer menu on the left (+)

3. Click Applications

When the logs load, look for any flagged with a red X labeled Error. Copy/paste anything you find relevant here.

Also, have you tried installing the "lite" (sans Acrobat.com & AIR) version from the FTP site?

RE: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/

Good luck!

Michael

• 4. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                flaglerspirits

yesterday same problem, did your document have "there is something wrong with this country" after the title.even had it pop on title of treasury dept docs

• 5. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                  RickLap Level 1

Hi lots a red x in there nothen that says adobe though mabey this redx errror ?

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16827, faulting module jp2klib.dll, version 2.0.0.2680, fault address 0x00032a0d.

• 6. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                    michael.varnell Level 2

It may take some intuitive reasoning to figure out which errors may be involved in Reader not installing on your system. If you see "lots" of red Xs then you have many more problems than Reader not installing. Use the time stapms to your advantage when searching the event logs. Attempt an install, then check the logs for anything around that time frame.

Have you attempted to install the standalone installer rather than the mini installer that kicks off the download manager from the Website? Choose the smaller of the two .exe:

RE: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/

Basically, without the specific error message, we are flying blind and can only offer a wide array of suggestions.

What OS? Service packs? Are MS security updates current? Have you tried to disable anti-virus prior to install?

Good luck!

Michael

• 7. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                      RickLap Level 1

Hi im useing windows xp pro adobe worked before dont no whats wrong some pdf,s work some closes the programs i kinda did what you suggested i removed adobe removed that install i loaded the 1 from the ftp site i got seems to be a new error date is at top of the list red x is

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16827, faulting module jp2klib.dll, version 2.0.0.2579, fault address 0x0003277d.

• 8. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                        michael.varnell Level 2

Still not enough information, Rick. Service packs? Are MS security updates current? Have you tried to disable anti-virus prior to install? Are you closing the Web browser prior to install? Do you have admin rights?

Look for an error related to MSI installer. Again, if you are seeing that many red Xs, I'd suggest you check with a Windows forum.

You could also run checkdisk and Windows Live OneCare safety scanner to hopefully resolve any file-system and/or registry issues.

I don't want to keep guessing if we can't find any error info related to the install. Perhaps if you resolved the OS/IE issues, this one will be resolved as well.

Good luck!

Michael

• 9. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                          salsantos222

I have a similar problem with Adobe Reader 9.0 and 9.1 and could use some help. I just received a new DELL computer with Vista Home Premium OS and Adobe 9.0 was already installed. When I tried to run it, the program stopped running because it is using a part of memory reserved for system files. Windows states that "Data Execution Prevention" has stopped the program. I downloaded version 9.1 and still have the same problem. I downloaded the "light" version of Version 9.1 and still have the same problem. If I try from the Control Panel to set Data Execution Prevention to exempt Adobe Reader, I get a message that Adobe Reader needs to run under DEP and cannot be exempted. So, I can't run Adober Reader 9.1. Can anyone help? Thanks.

• 10. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                            RickLap Level 1

Hi i tryed everythang to get adbobe reader to work it would open some pdf files but not all they couldnt help me so i removed adobe reader and downloaded another pdf reader its called Foxit Reader it not from adobe but ui actually like it better than adobe

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:27:05 -0600

To: wild_child_007_4@hotmail.com

Subject: Adobe reader doesnt work

I have a similar problem with Adobe Reader 9.0 and 9.1 and could use some help. I just received a new DELL computer with Vista Home Premium OS and Adobe 9.0 was already installed. When I tried to run it, the program stopped running because it is using a part of memory reserved for system files. Windows states that "Data Execution Prevention" has stopped the program. I downloaded version 9.1 and still have the same problem. I downloaded the "light" version of Version 9.1 and still have the same problem. If I try from the Control Panel to set Data Execution Prevention to exempt Adobe Reader, I get a message that Adobe Reader needs to run under DEP and cannot be exempted. So, I can't run Adober Reader 9.1. Can anyone help? Thanks.

>

• 11. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                              flaglerspirits Level 1

i uninstalled the 9 series and installed 8.1 also dump flash 10. this solved

the problem. still amazed windows is "anaware" of issue but local kid and a

nieghbor knew of fix

• 12. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                                edfromsd

I have same problem.  Cannot open some PDF files.

Files that fail to open have following PDF properties:

Application: Adobe Acrobat 7.08

PDF Producer: Adobe Acrobat 7.08 Image Conversion Plug-in

Fast Web View: No

PDF Version: 1.6

Unhid all hidden files and Did a find file for ip2klib.dll

ip2klib.dll was not found on in any folder on any of my disc drives.

I installed the 30 day demo version of Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and it also fails with same error message and event log entries as Reader 9

When I attempt to open any pdf files that are on my system that were created by Acrobat 7.08, I get same failure.

I also finally gave up and Installed Foxit Reader.

It opened the Acrobat 7.08 pdf files and all other PDF files that I have tried.

Reader and Acrobat Problem may be due to the ip2klib.dll file not being installed.

Did a search for ip2klib.dll on Google, Microsoft Web Site and Adobe Web Site and only found it in replies to this post.

Anyone know where I can find ip2klib.dll  or have any other suggestions.

Here is Event Log Data for Failures and Screen Capture of Application Event Log for Reader failure.

• 13. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                                  edfromsd Level 1

Correction to previous post.

The problem DLL is jp2klib.dll not ip2klib.dll

Find file for jp2klib.dll found the file in the Acrobat and Reader folders and in Registry.

Google search for jp2klib.dll results in links to numerous registry repair programs that indicate that will fix the dll probelm.

I am hesitant to use such shotgun approaches to fixing a problem.

I like to know exactly what I am changing and why when I make changes to the registry.

Could problem be the "Image Conversion Plug-in" used to create the pdf file?

Trying to find out more details on program used to create problem pdf files.

Submitted error to microsoft and reply was that an updated version of program was available from Adobe..

Updated Reader from version 9.1 to 9.2 but Reader 9.2 still fails with same error.

No updates were available for Acrobat Pro 9.

Would attaching one of the problem pdf files be of any help?

• 14. Re: Adobe reader doesnt work :(
                                    flaglerspirits Level 1

dont know i uninstalled 9.1 and reinstalled 8.0.  i only use my computer for

biz so i dont need newer video flash player