12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 8:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace

frameline

Hi guys, I'm a newbie and only using Premiere CS3 3.2.0 (with update recently installed) I'm on a Vista-based laptop, 2.5Ghz, 4mb RAM, plenty of hard drive space.

When I start a new project in Premiere CS3, in the New Project window, I go down to XDCAM EX, (shot with Sony EX 3), and highlight 1080p. Usually I get text in the description box but right now I'm not getting anything. And when I give the project a name and click OK, I get a blank workspace; no default timeline bin or file bin or monitor windows. I get nothing.

I have files on an external 250gig IOMEGA hd. Having trouble importing these files into the project. Can anyone help with any ideas of how to get started? Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm still getting a blank workspace when opening up a new project.

I have since attempted to import files from the external HD. It appears the files transferred over but I have no idea where they went. I saw the bar accept the files but cannot find the files listed anywhere in Premiere. Can someone please help?

• 1. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, this used to work. Is that correct? Now it does not, or appears to not work. When that happens, something has changed.

The task will be to determine what might have changed. Have you had any OS updates lately? First, these can render display drivers obsolete instantly. Though it sounds like most of your GUI is displaying fine, some updated GUI info might not be, like the Timeline and Project Panel. Check to see if you have the latest display driver.

Since you have updated to 3.2 (normally a highly recommend thing to do), I would be interested to know if this behavior started before that update, or if it started long after 3.2 worked for you. Redoing the update might be like a Repair Install. If not, I think that I would try a Repair Install to see if something has been broken along the way.

I know that none of this really points to a cause, and probably does not point to a cure.

Along the way, tell us more about your entire system, both the hardware and the software.

Last, do you happen to have Window Blinds, or have a MS mouse with an InteliPoint mouse driver? I know that sounds like a weird question, but I have my reasons.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
            frameline Level 1

Hunt,

thanks for the reply. This is really the first time I've seriously tried to edit something on Premiere. I have had the Adobe Master Collection on my computer mostly using Photoshop and Acrobat, etc. I recently had two cameramen shooting a school concert on Sony EX 3's. At the end of the shoot one of the guys transferred both cameras footage to his external HD and then transferred that to my external HD. It's those files I'm attempting to import to Premiere.

Not getting the timelines or project panels is baffling to say the least. I don't know that anything changed. No OS updates that I know of. Vista 64-bit OS w/Service Pack 1.   3.2.0 Premiere update was recent, a download from the Adobe website. Never had a problem with display drivers that I know of. The lack of panels in the workspace was after the update. Didn't really attempt to use the program before the update. I don't know what Window Blinds is, and my mouse is a Microsoft wireless Bluetooth mini mouse. Not sure about the InteliPoint mouse driver. I have done repair installs but to no avail. Something is keeping me from getting the panels in the workspace. I'll bet it's something simple.

Could not find anything in Preferences that would change things. Any suggestions? Thanks!

What else do you want to know about my system hardware, software?

• 3. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Perform these troubleshooting tips. I am certain a reset of the workspace will sort you out, but if not then provide the info asked for at the end of the page. It will help us help you.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this for the workspace:

Close Premiere

Go to Start Document and look for Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0

There you see a folder called Layouts. Rename this to Old Layouts.

Open Premiere CS4

Premiere will now make a new Layouts folder with new data files.

Hope this helps

• 5. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                  frameline Level 1

Thanks Ann, I'm not working with CS4, I'm working with Pro CS3 but I will try what you suggested. And I'll try the previous suggestions as well and get back to you all. Thanks

• 6. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                    frameline Level 1

Okay, definitely making progress. Did what Ann suggested. Renamed Layout folder Old Layout. Now when opened New Project folder I got a window saying something to the effect of "Editing does not recognize..." and "..so this will show up on your desktop.  So this is the first time a workspace with panels has shown up, I guess on the desktop?  And I have been able to import video files into the project files panel and actually see them show up. So I'm guessing I have to import the separated audio files that are linked to the video files now? My audio files don't show up as Quicktime files, how do I recognize them?

• 7. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm guessing I have to import the separated audio files that are linked to the video files now? My audio files don't show up as Quicktime files, how do I recognize them?

This will depend on whether the files are muxed, i.e. Video & Audio in one file, and how well PrPro can work with the necessary CODEC's used for each stream.

If the files are QT, you should be able to load them in QT and hit Ctrl-j to view the Properties screen. This will tell you about the Video and/or Audio in the file. G-Spot, the normal file info viewing utility does not do the best job with MP4 and MOV files, but it's still great to have with MPEG and AVI files.

Sometimes, the trick is working with those necessary CODEC's (the encoder/decoder used to create, play and hopefully edit the files). PrPro can use many, but some it just refuses to deal with. In those cases, CONVERTING your files to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. These are ideal for PrPro and SD material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                        frameline Level 1

I do have a question for you guys and gals about file formats. I would like to learn about the types of files I'm working with. My original shot footage, shot on s x s cards on 2 Sony EX 3 cameras was transferred onto my buddy's hard drive at the end of the shoot. He later transferred those files onto my external hd so I could work with them later in Premiere. I have to click the heck out of these folders and files to finally get to the stuff I can work with. Example: I go to one of the FAT32 partitions containing folders and files. I see 4 "folders" in that partition, "Spotlight V-100", "Trashes", "Michael" (the cameraman) and "Trashes" again.  When I click on "Michael" I get 4 Michael folders, 1-4. Clicking on one of those, I get BPAV files, and two labeled DS Store. Now I click on BPAV and that gives me CLPR files and TAKR files, along with an icon labeled CUEUP.XML and another labeled MEDIAPRO. Now I click on the CLPR folder and I get to the video files I can finally work with. That's a long way to go to get to the stuff I can import! Can someone explain the various folders so I know what I'm dealing with? PS: I'm guessing the CLPR folders are the audio files. When I try to open them, I get a window that says File Format Not Supported. How can it be that I have image files that are supported and matching audio files that are not supported?

• 9. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, for Video editing, you will want to Convert your FAT-32's to NTSF. From the Command Prompt, you can type convert? and get the full parameters. Make note of them, and then from Run, type convert[with the necessary parameters, like drive letter, etc.]. You will required to then enter the Volume name, so make not of that too. The Convert utility in your OS should do this without losing a thing.

Now with the P2 cards, you should be able to Import the folder structure (I think that CS3.0.2 could do this, but I know that CS4 can) to use in the Project. Then you just will twirl open the Bins and you'll have your Assets. If I am wrong on CS3, I'm sure Ann, or someone else will correct me. As I only shoot SD, I'm not up on all of the vageries of HD material and media types.

With muxed files, it's fairly easy to get mismatched Audio. If the camera shoots DD 5.1, for instance, and encodes to AC3 (also for stereo too), you can have issues. Up through CS3, the trick was to copy the AC3 .dll from Encore to PrPro, so that it could handle AC3 files. I believe that CS4.1 now handles AC3's with no issue. The AC3 .dll copy from Encore did not work in earlier releases of CS4 - until CS4.1.

Good luck, and watch for replies on CS3 and P2 cards. Believe them, before you believe me.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                            frameline Level 1

Okay, now I'm really confused. Why do I need to convert the FAT-32's to NTSF? The whole external HD starts out as NTSF, but the thing I learned along the way was that I could not even get the files to the hard drive until I partitioned the drive into 32gig separate partitions. This is what the guy at Sony said to do, to be able to get the data from my buddies external drive to my external drive. I've already been able to import the video files ( I hate to use the term "video files" because it's really digital data-no tape involved) from the FAT-32's to the PreProCS3. The audio files are another story. For whatever reason, the file format is not recognized.

• 11. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You have partitioned the 250GB external to 32GB logical drives and all are in FAT-32?

Well, besides FAT-32 being slower, you will be limited to 4GB file sizes.

Not sure why Sony would tell you to partition to 32GB logicals, as that does not make sense to me.

OTOH, if it's working and you will never have any files up to 4GB, why mess with a good thing.

For some background on HDD's for video editing, you might this ARTICLE interesting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Trouble Importing files to Pro CS3 and also getting default workspace
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Note: due to technical issues with the forum, this thread got split and is now continued HERE.

Hunt