2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 6:00 AM by MarkWalsh

need code for validating email address

jwewing

I need what I hope to be a simple script but I do not know javascript at all and need some help. I am trying to validate an email address form field. I simply need it to check if there is an @ and a dot. If it does not contain those characters then it alerts the user and puts focus back on the email form field. If the email address does contain the @ and dot then it will just allow tabbing to the next field.

I made an attempt at just getting a message to see if it would recognize the @ but it doesnt work properly and dont know what I did wrong. No matter what was typed into the field I always get the message saying Email address is correct.

var email = this.getfield("Text17");

if(email = "@")

{

app.alert("Email address is Correct");

}

else

{

app.alert("Email address is not Correct");

}

• 1. Re: need code for validating email address
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To validate an email adress the best way is to use a Regular Expression, but anyway your problem is that you're using the assignment operator (=) instead of the comparison operator (==).

• 2. Re: need code for validating email address
            MarkWalsh Level 4

Here's a function that uses regular expressions to validate. I have 3 different regular expressions (some I probably found online) in this function that you can try.

function validateEmail (emailAddress) {

//var re = /^[a-zA-Z][\w\.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9]@[a-zA-Z0-9][\w\.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9]\.[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z\.]*[a-zA-Z] $/

//var re = /^[a-z0-9,!#\$%&'\*\+/=\?\^_`\{\|}~-]+(\.[a-z0-9,!#\$%&'\*\+/=\?\^_`\{\|}~-]+)*@[a-z0-9-] +(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*\.([a-z]{2,})$/

var re = /^((?>[a-zA-Z\d!#$%&'*+\-/=?^_`{|}~]+\x20*|"((?=[\x01-\x7f])[^"\\]|\\[\x01-\x7f])*"\x20*) *(?<angle><))?((?!\.)(?>\.?[a-zA-Z\d!#$%&'*+\-/=?^_`{|}~]+)+|"((?=[\x01-\x7f])[^"\\]|\\[\x 01-\x7f])*")@(((?!-)[a-zA-Z\d\-]+(?<!-)\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,}|\[(((?(?<!\[)\.)(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d| [01]?\d?\d)){4}|[a-zA-Z\d\-]*[a-zA-Z\d]:((?=[\x01-\x7f])[^\\\[\]]|\\[\x01-\x7f])+)\])(?(an gle)>)$/

if (emailAddress.length > 0) {

if (re.test(emailAddress)) {

//Field is valid

return true

} else {

var alertText = 'You have entered an improper Email address.'

app.beep()

app.alert (alertText)

return false

}

}

}