16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 12:30 AM by Harm Millaard

Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4

flbreen Level 1

I just upgraded from a 4 year old Dell dual core PC running PP 1.5 to a new Dell Quad core I7 with 6GB running Vista and CS4 and I would rather edit on the old system.

The new system is much faster at producing DVDs but the editor user interface is much slower.

When I fast forward through the SD AVI video the preview freezes and skips frames - it is so jumpy I don't know where I am in the video.

The old system can smoothly scan through the AVI video and any speed.

Is there something I can do the improve the performance?

• 1. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
          Level 1

You've got your scratch disc set to a drive that is neither your system drive nor your project drive - a drive with plenty of free space, right?

Next, be sure your video card drivers are up to date and that your card is supported by CS4, and that your CS4 is all up to date.

Aside from all that, I'd either set the preview quality settings to automatic or, if that doesn't help, set to draft quality until you figure things out.

Have you checked your task list to be sure you don't have some background programs eating up your cpu time?

• 2. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
            flbreen Level 1

Hi

It is a new system that I bought to use CS4 PP and EN.

The system has 1 logical dirve - 2 drives with raid 0.

Should I use an external drive for scratch files?

That is another big problem with the new system when I plugged in my external drive from the old XP system and tried to edit AVI files on it the through put was terrible.

I had to transfer files to the internal dive to be able to edit them at all.

Also when I am editing (for example fast forwarding) the CPU usage is under 10%.

When I build a DVD or use the Media converter it pulls all 8 logical processors up near 100%.

Again I have to old system with all the files on the internal drive with some AVI file on external drives.

It zips along with no problems until I try to edit a compressed file.

Then it freezes and jumps something like the new system with any types of file.

• 3. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Read these guides, specially the one on Storage and the one on Installing Vista. It may help you find the bottlenecks in your setup, although from the looks of it, it will be your disk setup, that is causing your problems.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 4. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The I/O sub-system is critical to NLE work. How your discs are setup and especially how they are allocated to the OS, programs, Assets and all aspects of the Project will greatly affect how the program performs.

Harm's link will give you some great information on how best to set your system up, including your OS.

Good luck and please read over the info in his links - you will not be sorry.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                  flbreen Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a little reluctant to make a lot of changes to my system.

The only problem I seem to be having with my system is with Premiere CS4 when I fast forward from the keyboard.

When I use the JKL keys to fast forward the action on the screen gets jerky immediately.

When I use the Shuttle button to fast forward the action is a lot smoother.

This is very annoying for me because I like to use the keyboard for fast forwarding.

Does this make any scense?

• 6. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Usually, with a Rendered Timeline, playback issues are very often I/O related - bottleneck with the media HDD. However, your situation seems to indicate that under some circumstances, the Timeline will shuttle smoothly, but with others, it will not. Now that is odd.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you post a screenshot from Process Explorer? You can find it here:

Sysinternal Utilities

• 8. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                        Andrey V Level 2

"I'm a little reluctant to make a lot of changes to my system."

That is to bad. Vista has too much of a security control which is not good for video editing systems. And you must disable disk indexes for all drives and disable used control. These two features will let your system use hardware to full extent. It should get rid of jerky video on playback.

Quality of a preview you can set up to highest it does not effect video performance if everyting is setup good and video card is capable handaling real time video previews.

• 9. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Andrey V wrote:

"...and disable used control."

Could you please explain this I half-way suspect you might mean "user control" but that still does not explain what you are trying to accomplish.  I have Vista fairly well tuned but want to learn more.

• 10. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            And you must disable disk indexes for all drives

I could not agree more, and would add "all folders on all drives."

This process can really hamper all aspects of NLE work. One of the biggest issues is when it locks a big file, that PrPro needs, so it can re-index it, because it has changed. Heck, these big files change all of the time, and there is nothing in any of them that Windows Indexer can discern. If one wants this, set it to only run for their My Documents folder, and nothing even remotely involved with any part of PrPro, or its Projects.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                              Andrey V Level 2

Sorry for typo its a user control. It limits user access rights to the hard drives and folders, allowing windows firewall constantly scanning drives adnd that makes it slower, and its increasing access time to the hdd.

• 12. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                                flbreen Level 1

Harm

I read your description on how to build the best PC with Vista 64 to host an NLE like PP but I can't get there from where I am.

I have a new $4000 system (including CS4) from Dell with 2 big internal drives in Raid 0.

I figured that a big new system couldn't in any way be slower than the old Dell 400 that I have been using for the last 4 years.

I found a great improvement in the time it takes to build a DVD from 2 plus hours of AVI files but the jerky video preview is driving me beserk.

I tried to turn off the disc indexing but I am not sure I got it done.

The system refused to do it for certain folders.

And there seems to be a partition in there for a recovery disc.

Right now I am finishing up a wedding and I am afraid to mess things up before it is done.

After that I will get more adventurous in trying to eliminate the jerkey preview.

Frank

• 13. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Frank,

This new Dell did not come with a physical DVD with Windows, right? If I am correct in that assumption, you are right, there will be a recovery partition on your drive, containing Windows and Dell drivers. The only way to get rid of that is rather drastic, a complete reformat of the disk by using a Windows DVD to boot from, a complete reinstall, but the bothersome part is to get these Dell supplied drivers installed again, since you removed them by the complete reformat. I would not use these drastic steps at the moment, with that wedding coming up.

The Sidebar and Aero are turned off, I guess, as is UAC. Can you post a screenshot from Process Explorer? You can find that program here:

Sysinternal Utilities

• 14. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing else that I missed.  Incidentally, I never run my editing machine with a firewall or antivirus software.  It is not my Internet machine.

• 15. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                                      flbreen Level 1

Harm

My Dell came with a purple reinstallation dvd.

I also got a black dvd with drivers and utilities.

I am trying to get up the courage to follow your instruction for doing a clean install.

One thing I am unsure about is that currently there are 2 internal drives in raid 0 configutation.

When does that issue come up during the clean install?

I assume you would configure them a separate drives (C: & D:).

I think you would suggest that I get a 3rd drive possibly and esata external drive.

I just finished the wedding I mentioned.

I put 2:10 on a DVD starting with 4 hours of raw AVI footage.

I was amazed at quickly Encore burnt the DVD, about 35 minutes.

My old system would take 3 hours.

Frank

• 16. Re: Big Problem With New PC Vista & CS4
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        I assume you would configure them a separate drives (C: & D:).

If it is one single physical disk, I would not partition it. The reasons are explained in the Storage Guide.

When you boot from the Windows DVD the first action you are asked for is do you want to reformat the disk and how large the partition needs to be. I would always opt for one partition with maximum size.