8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 6:30 PM by Typhoon859

NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode

Typhoon859 Level 1

I've never had this problem before with other DVD sources but for some reason in this particular project, from the two areas in this compilation that I made with the NTSC DVD-Video content, in the MainConcept h264 23.976fps @ 3000kbps render, the video has this lag/slow motion effect thing going on..  The content is imported with AVISynth.  I've tried everything I can possibly think of: different export settings in the program, adjusting the properties of how the video is processed in the program, tampering with some DGIndex settings, and trying to fix it with different AVISynth code.  Only thing that works is to actually export the video at 29.976 frames per second which.. ruins its quality.  Anybody have ideas as to what the problem might be/how to fix this?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are you absolutely sure your DVD source material is 24 fps?  It may be hard telecined with the 29.97 fps telecine already part of the video instead of soft telecined with 29.97 fps flags only.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode
            Typhoon859 Level 1

Well, as I mentioned, the content is NTSC so the DVDs are @ 29.97fps.  But, the content, as I know to be and as indicated by DGIndex to be 99.95% film, it's 23.976fps.  One of these DVDs I actually burned myself and it was burned from a source of a 23.976 framerate.  Either way, even if the original content was distinctly in 29.97fps, why would it cayse this lag?  I have another content like that and it doesn't lag.  Plus, I set DGIndex to index the VOB files to Forced Film which is the recommended setting for this, obviously.  So Premiere actually sees the media as 23.976fps anyway.  Hope that tells you what you need to know.

• 3. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode

Typhoon859 wrote:

even if the original content was distinctly in 29.97fps, why would it cayse this lag?  I have another content like that and it doesn't lag.

Please define "lag" in a lot of detail, or post a video example.  Remember, we can't see what you're seeing.  We only have your description to go by.

NB: You should try very hard to find *any* differences at all between the content that lags and the content that doesn't lag.  If you discover any differences, then make the lagging content look just like the content that doesn't lag.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode
                Typhoon859 Level 1

Unless I didn't understand what you meant, then uh, yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.  I'm trying to get the content that "lags" to be like everything else that "doesn't lag" or just to be normal, if you will..  Besides quality wise, it shouldn't look any different than the source in terms of smoothness of like the motions or w/e..  I will upload three different encode examples of the same clip. If you want, I can also upload the original, but it'd be wrapped in an AVI container. And BTW, obviously aside from the desired framerate, I've tried every combination of settings here but the problem still remained.

The desired encode settings with 23.976fps framerate (VBR 2-Pass @ 3000kbps with 5000kbps maximum - 396p resolution - Main Profile, Level 4.1 - MP4 multiplexing with PSP/PS3 stream compatibility): http://www.filedropper.com/sequence1

Same settings but with undesireable 29.97fps framerate: http://www.filedropper.com/sequence2

VirtualDubMod encode (same bitrate, but CBR - slightly larger resolution - desired 23.976fps framerate): http://www.filedropper.com/sequence5

Note how the encode from VirtualDubMod has much better quality (more of an effect from the AVISynth code), and how it doesn't have that lag effect.

*The only reason the VirtualDubMod encode is larger in size is because the audio is uncompressed.

• 5. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode

Here, the .avi file has the same "lag" as sequence 1.  It behaves exactly like hard telecined 29.97 fps video that is attempting to be played back at 23.976 fps.  You can recreate the "lag" effect easily by putting 29.97 fps video in a 23.976 fps timeline and rendering, or by putting a 29.97 fps clip in a matching sequence and applying the Posterize Time effect set to 24 fps.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode
                    Typhoon859 Level 1

Lol, what?  I'm sorry.  I didn't understand any of that - what you were trying to explain or what you were suggesting.  But uh, the avi video doesn't have that "lag".  It plays back smoothly...  I've tried it on my new laptop with very little programs installed and even on my PS3 just now to make sure.  It has no problem like Sequence 1.

• 7. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode

Since we're not seeing the same thing given the same video sources, I don't think I can help you.  Sorry.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: NTSC DVD Sources Lag with 23.976fps Encode
                        Typhoon859 Level 1

Well, it's not my fault...  It doesn't make sense for it to lag.  What player are you using and what codec?