17 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 4:01 PM by the_wine_snob

56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4

Admiral Cook Level 1

precs4tr.png

precs4ft.png

• 1. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

MAC's have always been more expensive than PC's. That is a deliberate choice you make when choosing MAC.

• 2. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
            Powered by Design Level 4

I saw you last posting about this.

I like this one better.

The side by side makes it much better to see what is missing.

I wonder why those are missing ?

I guess its a good thing im on a PC

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 3. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that this organization of the two lists is better than the one in the original thread. It's basically what I did to survey the two platforms, but was done better, than what I worked on - nice graphic representation.

Unfortunately, we're (the users) no closer to an answer as to the "why?" I think that it will take someone from the Adobe PrPro Developmental Team to answer that. A very few of the differences might be easy to explain, like some of the GPU Effects/Transitions, but I do not believe that it would account for the majority of the differences. Maybe a Mac person could come up with a few more reasons, but I think it would take word down from Adobe.

With Adobe's push to get PrPro back on the Mac, I would have actually expected the lists to be reversed, favoring the Mac platform with a few more Effect/Transitions.

Maybe there is 3rd party software, that Adobe has licensed for some of these, and they are just not available for the Mac?

Other than a few guesses, I am at a loss to explain the differences - sorry.

Hunt

• 4. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                Jeff Bellune Level 6

This is only a guess, but I suspect that many of Premiere's effects are

based on old (v1.0) code and updating that code for the Mac port in CS3

(and now CS4) wasn't worth the effort.  I also suspect that the decision

on which ones got ported and which ones didn't was based on an effect's

performance and quality.

If I am correct, then the Mac port only got the best performing effects

that produce the best quality output.  Kind of a "premium" subset of the

original Windows set.  More is not always better. 

-Jeff

• 5. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

That is probably a good guess.

Maybe there would be consolation in the Mac-camp, that they got the "Best?"

Also, as PrPro's place on the Mac matures a bit, it would seem logical that folk writing 3rd party plug-ins and Transitions will now concentrate on writing/coding more for the Mac. Obviously during the years between Pr 6.5 Mac and CS3, there would be no reason to work on anything other than PC-based Effects and Transitions. Don't know how well people like Red Giant, Magic Bullet and others are doing at adapting their plug-ins for the Mac. When the installed-base reaches a certain point, I do not think they can resist that segment of the market - though the cost to code might put a crimp in that pipeline.

In PS, I've seen many 3rd party plug-ins that took years to reach the PC. Many were Mac only, and a few are still that way.

Hunt

• 6. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                    Admiral Cook Level 1

Red Giant and Magic Bullet products are already available to Mac users.

Premiere Pro is better on Windows atm. Besides missing effects Mac version also has slow timeline response and rendering takes a bit more...

• 7. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Red Giant and Magic Bullet products are already available to Mac users.

Those were general examples of 3rd party plug-ins. They were not specific. Besides those two, there are dozens of suppliers. How about NuBlue FX? I know that Adobe includes some of those in various programs.

What is the exact source of the code for the ones that are missing from the Mac? Who owns the code to all of those? Did Adobe write each one?

I've offered some thoughts, but it seems that until Adobe addresses this, the point is moot. PC's just get more than Mac's.

Good luck finding the answers,

Hunt

• 8. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                        Antinet Level 1

thanks for posting this. I've been lambasting (and warning people off) CS4 premiere on the Mac across the net for a host of reasons. I've updated to 4.1, and none of these problems have been rectified. Capture is still a disaster as well - no onscreen view during HDV capture, no autodetect of cuts (even though you can select it), a hideous file system that forces you to rearrange and collect items constantly, and the miserly effects noted here.

As a true admirer of After Effects, Flash, and Pshop, its been a real blow to my opinion of Adobe because of this software, which flat out should not have been released. Encore is even worse. The DVD templates look like CoreDraw 1993, and you flat out never get a DVD, whether it crashes first, or just doesn turn over the encode (which it repeats from scratch after it crashes). Encore is a relevant topic to Premiere, its a critical part of the flow of editing.

Anyway, I'm using iMovie now, at least for capture, while I save up for FCP. ADobe should be ashamed that a free program has more compatibility and ease-of-use than its Pro software. I feel like a complete idiot assuming that Adobe would be competitive with FCP, but there is not much real info on this topic online. I'm doing my part to change that.

I dont even want to set foot in the Adobe environment after the exquisite frustration experienced in almost every aspect of my workflow changed by CS4. Its a good thing I like AE, because they stripped the slideshow out of Pshop and put it in Bridge, where it looks good until you run it online, where it just goes blank. Someone should take a run at pshop. It is not anywhere near a perfect program.

I sure hope Adobe has fired everyone who was responsible for this disastrous release. My opinion of Adobe has gone from a 9 to a 3. Oh yeah, they should offer a FREE upgrade to CS5 for CS4 purchasers (victim/suckers).

• 9. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As for your issues with Encore, did you not get any help from people like Jeff Bellune, Neil Wilkes and Joe Bowden, on the Adobe Encore forum? I've only seen one issue that those folk could not answer and it was the PGC Error and was heavily dependent on the Assets, and the Project, plus what the users were doing for a workflow.

Also, you will probably get more traction to your protestations in the Video Lounge, as we are all just users, and have zero influence on policy with Adobe. Also, the majority of the users do not have the problems that you seem to be experiencing. Now, some of that could be platform dependent, or maybe just the systems that most here use.

Other than the lists in this post (shocker to me), I do not recall that many Mac-spcific issues, but might have missed them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                            yenaphe Adobe Community Professional

I'm heavily using Premiere on small to medium projects and never had major issues, and 4.1 added much overall stability.

Encore is not full featured enough (and much bugged) to be used, for me, in real world environement. I've been using it's BR capability with some success, but as soon as I try to push it a little (ok, push it hard with more than 180 tracks on a BR50) it crashes (and I never had me able to finish this experimental project ).

For now every authoring i do is still with Scenarist Pro at my former employer.

• 11. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

No, compared to Sonic Scenarist, Encore is short on features. However, $ for $, I cannot complain. I am using Encore 2.0, and am not doing HD - BD work, but with only SD to DVD-Video, I've never had one issue with Encore (other than wishing a switch was elsewhere, or a default was OFF, and I could turn it on, when I wanted). In years, and hundreds of Projects, I have had one real error message, and I think I can attribute that to using a Project "template," that I had created and possibly fritzing up an Asset. Happened early on in a 12 DVD set, and a redo (even used the same blank template) of that phase took care of it. Had to be OE, but I do not know exactly what I did wrong. One error in all those years makes me very happy, hence my personal enthusiasm for Encore.

It does seem that Encore 4 has some issues, and a few of those are how it handles, or does not handle, BD authoring.

Hunt

• 12. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4

I've been using encore since CS3, so i'm quite new even if I did try the 1.0 and 2.0 version when i was a DVD authorer.

I'm maybe not as lucky as you as Encore CS4 failed me several times on my test projects. The most common issue I had is that I gave him complient streams for video and pcm audio to convert ot ac3. Encore converted all the files but then, failed to find & link them resulting in failing the disk build. I was never able to find out why, and never had the time to look any further.

But other than that i had the usual UI slowdown or random crash from times to times, nothing really annoying.

• 13. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                                  Admiral Cook Level 1

Same problem with Transitions and Effects in CS5 for Mac.

Shame.

• 14. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting.

I have yet to see any logical reason for the omission of those Effects & Transitions on the Mac.

Maybe they rely on Flash and we all know how Steve Jobs feels about it... No, that was but a joke.

Still, seems odd that there is so large a disparity, but must have something very platform-specific. Just do not know what that would be.

Hunt

• 15. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4

I think it's because it's some legacy stuff. But it's kinda bad anyway.

• 16. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                                        Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I'll comment on this.  Most of these missing effects were omitted because of missing support libraries or they were coded using Windows API specific calls and weren't portable.  For a lot of them, they're not the best effects in the list, for that matter.  We tried to concentrate on the most used/popular effects and that's what's there as it currently stands.

Let's tackle this from another angle - a lot of these filters, there's a chance wouldn't use anyway.  So I think simply achieving parity for the sake of parity is potentially a waste of effort.  If there's a specific filter that you require that's missing on the mac, call it out.

• 17. Re: 56 Transitions and 21 Effects missing in Mac version of PrCS4
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Wil,

That makes perfect sense. In the thread, that was the precursor to this one, someone (Harm?) commented on the lack of use of some of the missing Effects/Transitions.

Now I can put my Steve Jobs conspiracy theory to rest (where it should be).

Appreciated,

Hunt