16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 6:48 AM by the_wine_snob Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Burning to a DVD

eruanne

Hi, I also have a burning problem.  I've taken some notes as I went along.

I've been trying to burn a DVD in Premiere Elements 7.0.  I am new to this program, although experienced with other Adobe products and was really enjoying it until the disc burning process.  The first disc I burned for this project worked fine, burned beautifully, no problems.  So I was shocked when I made a few tweaks and now I can't burn a DVD for anything.
      The burning is a two-step process.  First, the menus and streams are coded.  This progresses apparently fine, the blue bar indicating progress carries on until its end.  Then the burn itself begins.  The blue progress bar gets to a point directly above the second "n" in "burning disc 1 of 1" and stops.  The longest I left it stuck there was  eight hours.
      I first burned this project as a DVD.  However, the client was unsatisfied with the arrangement of the menus and asked me to redo them.  I redid them.  According to Premiere Elements  7.0  this increased the size of the file from 1.70 GB to 1.85 GB. 
      My system has three drives.  Two are partitions on the same 160 GB hard drive, one is a plain 160 GB drive.  I have been using the two partitions (artifacts of an experiment with Linux) for this project.   The OS partition has 25 GB free.  The second partition has 68 GB free, and I have been using it as a scratch disk for this project.  The RAM available is 4 GB. 
      Other information:
      I tried defragmenting both partitions, the scratch disk was fragmented so I tried burning again after defragmenting.  No luck.  Then I tried creating a DV AVI file.  This resulted in a file of 4.67 GB.  Why is this different than the estimated size of 1.85 GB given to me by Premiere Elements 7.0?
      However, it did give me a DVD AVI file in about 20 minutes without crashing.   I took this as an indicator that the files that made up the project were not themselves corrupted.  Was that wrong?
      I removed this file from the scratch disk partition so it had 68 GB to work with once again, and tried to burn another disc.  This time I set the burn parameters to "fit on disc" and not use most space available.  Again  the process got all the way through the coding and stuck at the exact same place on the burn cycle.
      I then tried turning off all other programs.  I don't think I have any software such as Nero on my computer without my knowing about it, and in any case nothing new has been added since I successfully burned the first disc, so I assume it can't be that another program is monopolising the disc burner suddenly.  I also turned off my firewall and application control programs, which are part of F-Secure Internet Security.  Not being a complete idiot, I of course had my computer disconnected from the internet for all of this.  I assumed that couldn't be the problem.  Or is it?  Is an internet connection required for Premiere Elements 7.0 to successfully burn a disc?  That seems crazy, not to mention extremely unsafe if you have your firewall etc. turned off at the same time.
      My OS is Windows 7, and I have updated drivers for my Invidia video card and for my Realtek audio card.  This system is the same that I have been operating under all along, no change there from the successful burn to now with the unsuccessful burn attempts.  So I ruled those out as the source of the problem, since it obviously worked once.
      The file itself consists of about 26 minutes of film footage.  The footage was filmed at 720x480 HD.  There are also a numbers of still images, 1600x900 px, and a fairly extensive set of scenes.  It's an exercise practice video and each move is a separate scene, with the scenes grouped into main menu options.  So its organization is pretty complex, and that complexity has increased from the initial successful burn until now. 
      I have not yet tried burning my DV AVI file onto a DVD.  Obviously, it is too large, so I have to compress it somehow.  I hope this will not mean that I lose all of my menu arrangements, but that is my next step.  Can someone tell if this will work, preserving all menu items?  Also I would like to know if there is something else I should try. 
      Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Burning to a DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you'd like to pursue this, I'd recommend you start your own thread, eruanne, rather than tagging onto this current one. It's too easy to get confused when you've got more than one conversation going on at once!

Meantime, I'm not sure anyone here can support an issue with Windows 7 since it's still only a release candidate software and has not been officially released.

Also, you can not and should not look for a way to compress your DV-AVI. That is the correct format for video editing. If you are having storage issues with the file that large, your system may not have enough hard drive space for successful video editing on any scale. (And a 160 gig drive -- particularly if it's partitioned -- does barely have enough room to work with video on.)

• 2. Re: Burning to a DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The problem with partitions is that the OS sees the one physical HDD as two - it is not. When both partitions are used for some process, the OS tells the HDD to be in two places at the same time. This is impossible to accomplish as evidenced in one of the first lessons in Physics 101. The OS does not know this, and keeps insisting on data being read from/written to at the same time. This creates a bottleneck and the OS does not know why.

I would immediately look into a program, like Partition Magic (now Symantec, IIRC) to delete the partition and hopefull save all data. Your OS will greatly appreciate it, as well as every program that uses both logical drives.

In general terms, it sounds like your HDD's are getting filled to the max, during the burning process, and then PE just hangs. When doing Render, Transcode (part of the Burning process), etc., many more files are written to the HDD, than what will end up on the DVD-Video. After a Burn completes, most of these extra working files are safely removed by PE, or by any authoring program. It's just during the Burn process, that they are used.

After addressing the partition issue, I'd plan on some major housekeeping, eliminating all temp files and other detritus that gets created. I'd not bother deleting the CFA and PEK files for your current Project, but would do so for any that have been finished. These files will be recreated, as needed, but that can take some time, when one Opens the Project. Other media cache files can be deleted. Any that are needed, will be recreated, as needed.

Here is an excellent ARTICLE on HDD setup for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Burning to a DVD
              eruanne Level 1

OK, I will start a new thread if I can't solve it based on what you and the_wine_snob said.

BTW the compression storage issue related to a DVD, not a hard drive.  My DV AVI file came out 4.67GB>4.38GB DVD.  So something has to give to get it onto a DVD.  Premiere Elements told me it would be 1.85 GB when it was burning, so I figured I would be alright.  Evidently not.

I have to admit I was a little afraid to confess I was using Windows 7 for fear it would become the "reason" for the problem.  If so, why was I able to burn one disc fine and the next has a massive problem?  They are both running using Windows 7.  Nothing at all changed between the first successful and the second unsuccessful burns.  Weird.

• 4. Re: Burning to a DVD
                eruanne Level 1

I wasn't aware of how the partition thing was handled.  It's obvious now (Physics 101, indeed!) what one of the potential problems is.  I won't use the partition for a scratch disk anymore. I can't drop 70 bucks on Partition Magic right now, but I am now using the partition as a dump for my other hard drive.  I have two on this computer, both 160 GB.  Hopefully once I've cleared off the other drive, I will have enough room.  And before I do anything I will defragment and delete everything I can.  If that doesn't work I will start another thread for more contributions, but I wanted to answer both of you guys here so you would know I read your posts.

• 5. Re: Burning to a DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

From DV-AVI Type II, one Transcodes to MPEG-2 for DVD-Video. The compression is much greater for the MPEG-2.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burning to a DVD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

A lot may depend on which build of Win7 you are using. Recently, several users here and on the PrPro board, were having good luck with Win7. Then there were two recent builds in a row, that broke everything Adobe, PE, PrPro and Encore. I do not know the build numbers, or if they have been replaced yet. So, in their cases Win7 and Adobe worked one day, and not the next. Each then grabbed the next build and even more things broke. They were all dead in the water, as they did not want to go back two builds. So, obviously, Win7 can work one day but not the next. However, if you have not been updating with the recent build releases, you should not see that change in behavior. I urged each to file a beta tester's report with MS, since Win7 seems to be getting close, and MS needs to know that whatever was in those two builds broke Adobe - not a good thing. Still, that is what being a beta tester is all about. I used to do it, but either had a machine just for it, or did it on another machine that I could afford to take out of service, if things broke. I finally got tired of having my state-of-the-art computers tied up with beta testing, as each new OS needed very current equipment. I wanted to be producing on that new computer. I found out that when one is on the bleeding edge, the blood was often mine.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Burning to a DVD

Eruanne, because this thread strayed too far from the original, I've split your question off into a new thread. Thank you.

• 8. Re: Burning to a DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

That was a very good move.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Burning to a DVD
                          eruanne Level 1

Yeah, thanks for splitting it off.

So I solved the problem and wound up with a much better DVD to boot, but I was a little concerned to post my results as I used another program to do it.  I didn't want to seem like I was shilling another program on Adobe's site!  What I did was I imported all my clips that I'd worked with in Premiere Elements into Sony DVD Architect.  It took me a couple of hours to learn the program, and literally ten minutes to pre-test and burn the DVD.  Needless to say, I was delighted!  More importantly, I was able to set up a much more logical progression of menus and links on my DVD, it is a much more functional product.  I fell in love with DVD Architect, really, it was so easy and nice to use.  Of course I still need PreElements for editing and things but I wll never attempt to use it to create a DVD again.

So far so good on all my products' function with Windows 7, and my other Adobe products (PS, etc.) seem to be fine.  I had crashed so many times with Vista I figured it made no difference if I changed, all the important files get backed up to external drives so what the heck, right?  What's another crash amongst friends, especially if I can find reliable alternatives.  One thing I have learned is never to rely upon only one program to carry all your water.  Still, if the later updates cause problems with this and my other Adobe products I will send Microsoft a report as well.

Thanks for your help, guys.

• 10. Re: Burning to a DVD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news and thank you for reporting. Sometimes it takes other products to get Projects finished. I hear good things about DVD Architect, and even know a guy, who wrote a book on it. Adobe has always been very good at accepting workflows, that incorporate other programs, whether freeware, shareware, or fully-commercial. Hey, you're editing in PE right?

I use an Adobe product, Encore, for all of my authoring, and do find PE's built-in authoring to be limiting to me. However, Encore is no longer available as a stand-alone. It is only bundled with PrPro, so I can't sing its praises - you couldn't buy it, without PrPro. If it was still available by itself, I'd have sold 1000 copies, 'cause I love it so much.

No, these programs are but tools. We just need to find the right one for the job.

Thanks for the followup,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Burning to a DVD

Yes, I'm the guy who wrote the book on DVD Architect Studio. Thanks for the free plug, Hunt!

• 12. Re: Burning to a DVD
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When someone, such as yourself, talks so highly of a program, and then takes the time to write a book on it, I take that to be a real endorcement. Were I not already the owner of Encore, I'd have rushed out and bought both the book and the program.

After one spends much time with a well-written authoring app, it's tough going back.

In many years past, I used to fight Pinnacle Studio to do a simple DVD w/ Menus. Picked up Encore, read the manual (yes, they still had those back then) and knocked out two DVD's the first day that I fired the program up. Once I had gotten my head around the idea that it was manual, but oh so powerful, I never looked back. It was some years into PrPro, before I even knew that it had the ability to author and burn a simple DVD. With Encore, I never needed it.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Burning to a DVD
                                  descotes Level 1

This is probably an awful question but what is "authoring"?

• 14. Re: Burning to a DVD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There are basically two steps in the creation of a DVD-Video, after the footage has been shot.

The first is the editing. For that, we use an NLE (Non Linear Editor), like PE, or PrPro. Once edited, one gets the finished AV file into an authoring program to establish navigational aspects, i.e. Menus, etc., and then Transcode to Burn to the DVD. PE can do both jobs, though the authoring aspect is limited. A program, like Encore can do so very much more, exploiting most of the full DVD-specs. for DVD-Videos. Sony's DVD Architect can do similar, and is available as a stand-alone, while Encore is only bundled with PrPro now.

Hope that this helps clear it up. If not, I have plenty more examples that I can share.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burning to a DVD
                                      descotes Level 1

Thanks for replying.  Oh ok, I didn't realize that you needed 2 systems to do it.  I don't do anything fancy with my videos so PE should work ok for me.

I did find one thing though with PE that maybe someone could help with (or should be a different thread)..... I wanted a title before my video and they have "premade" ones but I didn't see where I could make one myself.

• 16. Re: Burning to a DVD
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What you are talking about is called a Play First. In a full DVD authoring program, like Encore, or DVD Architect, this is easy. I often have several Play First AV's. Often, I'll have a DD 5.1 SS lead-in, or maybe a DTS Audio sequence, and then either a short preview, or Title sequence, before the Main Menu. With the DTS Audio, I'll add an Audio Selection Menu, so the user can choose either the DD 5.1 SS Audio, or the DTS Audio

Unfortunately, PE does not naturally do this. There are ways to use other software (PGCEdit, IIRC) to rework the first VOB, that PE will create with the Main Menu first. It just cannot be done easily, unless PE7 (I only have PE4) has added this capability. IIRC, there is a nice article by Robert Johnson, posted to Muvipix, on how to alter the DVD, after one has used PE to Burn to Folder. I'll see if I can find that, and will post a link.

Also, Steve, or Paul_LS can tell us whether PE7 added this capability, so you woulld not have to use other software to do this.

Good luck,

Hunt