4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 9:27 AM by Dean Utian

Importing pictures in Director

IbrahimFromAustralia

I am trying to import a .jpg picture in Director 11.5. The actual size of the picture is 104 KB. When it is imported into Director it appears as a 1.8 MB. This is a huge file. I am using standard import. I tried to link it to my movie and the size appears as 1.8 MB. I am not sure what to do. The picture was edited in Adobe Photoshop and was saved using File , Save for the Web. I am using a Mac by the way.

• 1. Re: Importing pictures in Director
          Chunick Level 3

Don't worry about the size in the project during authoring... that's the uncompressed size. You can compress in the publishing options:

File --> Publish Settings --> Files tab --> Primary movie: checkmark 'Compress files (Shockwave format)'

then go to the Shockwave tab --> Image Compression: and set the level of compression.

That should do it. I personally would import high quality JPEGs to uncompressed or lossless compessed (gif, png, tiff) images and then compress with the options during publishing. That way you're not compressing the images twice in Director.

• 2. Re: Importing pictures in Director
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi Ibrahim,

I agree with Chunick in that it's better to import an uncompressed image and then let Director apply the JPG compression. This is if you're outputting the file to Shockwave for the web. When you publish to a DCR, the compression will be applied.

If you're creating a projector and just want to use small, compressed JPGs, then when you import your images into your movie, you could choose Linked To External File. This way, the DIR just imports a pointer to the fie. the images would need to be bundled with your application. If you import a JPG using the Standard Import, Director will remove the compression and you'll end up with a large internal image cast member that has the reduced quality due to the initial JPG compression applied in Photoshop.

Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 3. Re: Importing pictures in Director
              Production Monkey Level 3

If you import an image that is already compressed - jpg, png - then Director does not recompress the image. It uses the original compressed data in Shockwave files. Director's compression settings are only applied to any uncompressed Bitmaps.

Personally, I always compress my images before bringing them into Director.

From Director's help files:

Director supports JPEG compression at runtime for internal cast members that are imported through the Standard or Include Original Data for Editing import options. A JPEG file that’s imported with either of these options contains both the original compressed bits and decompressed bits. After it’s imported, the JPEG file decompresses in the authoring environment. The cast member size displays the member’s size in RAM after it’s decompressed. The amount of RAM required to display a JPEG file is larger than its size on disk, so you can expect that the JPEG cast member size is larger in the Cast Properties window.

Director takes advantage of compressed JPEG data at runtime. The original compressed data bits are saved in Macromedia Shockwave content or a projector (if the Shockwave compression option is on). If you edit the member within Director in the Paint window, the compressed data is lost. An alert appears before the data is overwritten.

• 4. Re: Importing pictures in Director
                Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

>If you import an image that is already compressed - jpg, png - then Director does not recompress the image. It

>uses the original compressed data in Shockwave files. Director's compression settings are only applied to any

>uncompressed Bitmaps.

Yes. If you import a JPG, Director will expand the image in terms of the cast member file size but retains the original image data. If you try to make a change in the Paint window, you'll get a message along the lines of:

"Attempting to change a cast member that has original data for editing."

So, if you edit the image in the Paint Window, you will remove the original data and get an uncompressed image in the reduced quality state due to the initial Photoshop compression. If you then apply JPG compression when publishing to Shockwave, you’d get a second level of image degradation.

However, if you don't remove the original data, then whatever you do in Director with the member’s compression options will not affect the published DCR size. The original data will be used for compression. If you’re not publishing to Shockwave, then there’s no advantage of importing a JPG because the DIR would be about the same size as if the image was imported as a BMP.

So, did have a bit of an inaccuracy in my last post.

>Personally, I always compress my images before bringing them into Director.

I guess the choice of approach is more of a personal preference rather than one being better than another, unless you feel that the program you’re using gives better/worse JPG results than Director. I’d say Photoshop is not the best program in terms of creating optimised JPGs. Fireworks is better as are a lot of other programs in giving the best quality vs file size.

Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast

http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/

http://www.multimediacreative.com.au