4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 11:49 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Yet another failed render posting...

Lyle3141 Level 1

The setup:

15 second standard NTSC DV composition.  No extreme effects, mostly just chroma key, color correction and a layer with zaxwerks 3D invigorator.  Footage is a mix of DV avi, SD frame stacks, run-of-the-mill photoshop and illustrator graphics and two clips of HD MXF P2 footage (720p 60f). 

The problem:

Render crashes while exporting to standard DV NTSC 720x480.  Does not crash in the same place each time, but always while rendering shots that utilize the HD MXF P2 footage.  There are usually (but not always) three separate error messages that appear after the crash. They are:

After effects warning: frame blending – failed to create thread

After effects warning: frame blending – failed to allocate memory

After effects error: Error (4) reading frame from... [location of HD footage] (This message does not display consistently. The other two do)

The hardware & software:

After Effects CS4 version: 9.0

Motherboard: TYAN S2696A2NR (LGA 771)
      CPU: Two Intel E5320 Clovertown 1.86GHz
      Memory: Kingston 4 x 1G
      Video Card: EVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT

What I've already tried and which hasn't helped:

• Purging memory with the Edit > Purge menu prior to rendering.
      • Closing and opening AE prior to rendering.
      • Exporting the MXF footage to HD avi files using Adobe Premiere and using the avi files in the comp instead. .
      • Enabling Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences with Minimum allocation per CPU set to 0.5GB
      • Enabling Prevent DLL Address Space Fragmentation in the Memory & Multiprocessing preference.
      • Enabling Disk Cache in the Media and Disk Cache preference utilizing the RAID 0 drive where my footage is stored (not the OS drive)
      • Adjusting the size of the Disk Cache from 2,000MB up to 12,000MB
      • Increasing space allocated for Windows Virtual Memory from 2GB to 8GB
      • Setting the Secret Preference to Purge every 2 frames during Make Movie
      • Modified the boot.ini file in Windows to allow AE to access 3GB of RAM instead of normal 2.

What I haven't tried yet:

• Disabling Layer Cache in the Secret Preferences
      • Reducing the amount of RAM to leave for other applications in the Memory & Multiprocessing preference (currently it is set at 1 GB)
      • Updating to the latest build of AE 9

• 1. Re: Yet another failed render posting...
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Lyle: As you probably know, Win XP 32 is limited to a shared 2.7 GB of RAM for all applications. WIth large frame sizes (Both 3D Invigorator and Keylight do take a large slice of memory), this may not be enough. In Win XP 32, AE can't take advantage of your 4 GB of RAM (because the background rendering instances have to share the available 2.7 GB with the main app).

Updating to 9.02 is highly recommended, even if not for this particular issue. Upgrading the OS to Vista or XP 64 is highly recommended as well.

You may want to turn off Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously for this particular project, so that more of the precious available RAM is assigned to the main application, or lower the RAM to leave for other apps to about 0.5 GB. Of course, make sure no other apps are running.

If everything fails, you can pre-render the 3D invigorator layer and/or the key layers, so that you can claim back more memory for the final render.

Again, upgrading to Vista or XP 64 and getting an extra 2 GB of RAM should let you render this without errors.

• 2. Re: Yet another failed render posting...
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No extreme effects, mostly just chroma key

...and you're keying with Keylight, right? It's an absolute memory monster, so there is possibly part 1 of your problem.

zaxwerks 3D invigorator.

How complex are the shapes/ items being generated with it? The more curves, the more polygons and by its nature, Invig can be a monster, too.

HD MXF P2 footage (720p 60f).

Have you considered to scale the footage down in a separate pass instead of just converting it to an AVI? Might help...

As for the rest - your system seems okay for what one can expect on a 32bit OS, so by all means, try that 9.0.2 update. I would also run a render with the Extra Per Frame info logging option. This may reveal more details. Often before a crash/ hang, there are some oddities notable like the per frame render times going up or the program needing to load a frame redundantly. You may also give tools like Sysinternals' Process Explorer a spin and watch the thread/handles and file I/O activity during renders. Especially with HD files, disk bottlenecks can kill renders...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Yet another failed render posting...
              Lyle3141 Level 1

Thanks for your input Mylenium,

No, not using keylight, just good old color range and spill suppressor.

Zaxwerks is just 3D text--one line, 7 characters and it's only up for about 20 frames so again, not a huge deal.

Scaling the HD footage I'm sure would eliminate the problem.  It just adds a step to the work flow that I didn't feel I should have to take.  But maybe I'm setting my sights to high for my poor little 32 bit OS.

I'll look into the other items you suggest.

Anyone use GridIron Nucleo Pro? I downloaded the demo but it wouldn't install. I don't think it's compatible with CS4 yet.  Anyone have an opinion as to whether the software (when it's updated) would be likely to better handle memory management and perhaps solve my problem?

Adolfo,

Thank you too, for your help.

On this page of the Adobe Support site, I find the following:

After Effects renders each frame of a composition one layer at a time. For this reason, the memory requirement of each individual layer is more important than the duration of the composition or the number of layers in the composition. The memory requirement for a composition is equivalent to the memory requirement for the most memory-intensive single layer in the composition... If you have no problems previewing each frame of a full-resolution, best-quality preview of a composition, then you have enough RAM to render the composition for final output.

I don't have any problems previewing any single frame of my comp so it seems (according to this) that I should be able to render the entire comp.  Am I misunderstanding this?

• 4. Re: Yet another failed render posting...
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                Anyone use GridIron Nucleo Pro? I downloaded the demo but it wouldn't install. I don't think it's compatible with CS4 yet. Anyone have an opinion as to whether the software (when it's updated) would be likely to better handle memory management and perhaps solve my problem?

Not in Win XP 32.

2.7 GB to feed the main app and a rendering instance for each core may not be enough for this particular project.

I don't have any problems previewing any single frame of my comp so it seems (according to this) like I should be able to render the entire comp.  Am I misunderstanding this?

Have you tried rendering this Comp with "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" turned off?