4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 7:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Missing VOB file type from pull down list of file formats

jrphoto22

All of a sudden I can no longer import vob files.  This had been working fine, but then I installed Encore, updated everything (Premiere shows version 4.1.0) and now the vob files I had previously inported are no longer recognized and a vob file type no longer shows up on the pull down list of file types that can be inported.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Missing VOB file type from pull down list of file formats
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Does any MPEG variant still show up, for instance in the Sequence Presets does it show HDV, XDCAM, or similar?

If not, you have been bitten by the Installer Bug.

Many have experienced problems in the sense that after updating, their full version reverts to trial status. Often this is caused by either a faulty installation previously or having used at one time the trial version. The best solution, cumbersome and time consuming, is to uninstall, run the CleanScript 2 or 3 times and reinstall and then apply the updates again.

Look here: Using the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Clean Script

• 2. Re: Missing VOB file type from pull down list of file formats
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd. I do not recall any updates to PrPro/En since the 4.1, which added VOB Import (from 100% DVD-spec VOB's).

What other changes have taken place. It seems that something has broken 4.1. Any new hardware, or software added, or any removed?

Did you have CS3 installed, and have possibly removed it?

Can you download and reinstall the 4.1 update? Even if Bridge Help>Updates shows no new ones, you should be able to manually download 4.1 from the Adobe site and reinstall it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Missing VOB file type from pull down list of file formats
              jrphoto22 Level 1

Downloading and re-installing the 4.1 update for premiere seems to have solved the problem.  The cause may have been installing encore seperately after I installed premiere.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Missing VOB file type from pull down list of file formats
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. It seems that there might be some flakyness with Adobe installers now. There have been many reports of installations and updates failing to install completely and properly. I know that MS had some issues with the MSI program, and issued updates for it for certain OS versions, but I'm not sure where these current issue lie - with Adobe, or with MS. I guess that time will tell.

You might want to go to the MS site and look for MSI (MS Installer), just to see if they have an update for your specific OS version/flavor.

Good luck,

Hunt