21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 8:23 AM by Jim_Simon

What can I expect with 4.1

VideoCrafters Level 1
      I want to build a fast computer - i7 with 12 gig of ram... fast drives...etc.
      I will shoot HMC150 AVCHD and transcode to NeoScene.
      I'm wondering about rendering...
      Will I be able to add a few filters such as Color Balance, Picture in Picture, Title without having to render? I realize I can't really stact the filters/layers up like crazy, but will I be able to add a few basic filters without rendering.

I will be monitoring from a MXO2 mini.

I currently have a RTX-100 and don't have to render much.

Thanks,

Mickey
        • 1. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Depends what you mean by "dont have to render".  If you mean full frame rate smooth preview playback; No.

If you mean a reduced frame rate preview; maybe.

Are you stuck with avchd as the source?  Its very intensive to edit ergo will give you just about the worst performance of a souce format.

Note the matrox x cards are not yet functioning properly with cs4.

• 2. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
            Powered by Design Level 4

I dont have AVCHD but know from reading that it is hard to edit and allot of cameras have it now.

My question is how much of a editing machine would you have to have to play it in real time ?

If he is building a new machine maybe he could build a better unit.

Just wondering.

Please give advice on building a dream PC.

Glenn

• 3. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This may be worth the wait, for even with AVCHD material, it can deliver RT performance. Don't know when it will be available however and prices have not yet been mentioned.

Look here: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1432724/next-generation-2010-superdesktops-nehale m-ex-nehalem-ep

• 4. Re: What can I expect with 4.1

Nice article Harm.

To only dream of a machine with all that power.

So far on my soon to be build I have:

Case:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Motherboard:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366

CPU:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

CPU Cooler:

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit

RAM:

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Graphics Card:

SAPPHIRE Toxic 100269TXSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Power Supply:

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Boot Drive:

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Hard Drives: ( 2-4 min )

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

Blu-ray Burner:

Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner 8X Blu-Ray DVD Burner

Im still waiting till Windows 7 comes out.

Any changes you see I might have to make ?

• 5. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

It looks like a very nice system. Just two remarks. Are you talking about the XMS3 Classic RAM modules with 7-7-7-20 timings? The reason I ask is because you have opted for 1600 FSB capable memory, while the CPU only delivers a FSB of 1333. I don't know whether the CAS at 1333 speed will be 6. It may well be. On the OCZ modules I have (OCZ3P1333LV6GK), I have 6-6-6-18 timings at 1333 FSB and it may be that these might be an alternative. The second remark is the Pioneer burner. In recent (last two years) tests Pioneer has lost the lead position they have held for years to manufacturers like Samsung and LG in terms of reliability of burns. They are still more expensive than Samsung and LG. It is peanuts on the total investment, but I thought it worth mentioning.

In case you do not have the link to my system setup available, here it is. It shows you my details:

PCResults.jpg

Hope this helps.

PS. On recent retesting, my average read speed on the large array (E) was 853 MB/s, a little faster than mentioned in the picture above.

• 6. Re: What can I expect with 4.1

Thanks Harm.

I alrady had your setup saved in my Harm folder.  lol

I will go back and read more on RAM and those other drives you said about.

The Ram I was going to get was the 1600 at: 9-9-9-24

What would be a better option for CS4

Glenn

• 7. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at the Corsair

TR3X6G1600C7

These have 7-7-7-20 timings. I just hope these are not based on Elpida Hyper chips. Corsair and OCZ have very recently stopped production of RAM modules with Elpida Hyper chips because of quality problems.

• 8. Re: What can I expect with 4.1

Newegg doesnt sell that one in a 12GB pack.

They have the 6GB pack for $146.99 x 2 = $293.98

Is it better to get a pack with all (12GB 9-9-9-24)  together or two packs of (6GB 7-7-7-20) with better timing?

Also if I get 2 packs do i need to place them in a special way so the same pack is together ?

Cost of 12GB pack = $229.00

$64.98 cheaper for the 9-9-9-24 pack.

But when building a new editing system saving is great but not if it cost performance.

What do you think the better choice is ?

• 9. Re: What can I expect with 4.1
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

I can't look into your wallet and I don't know your preferences. The 7-7-7-20 will be faster than the 9-9-9-24 sets. The difference will likely be less than 2-3% in performance, but the price difference is much larger. Consider that you buy this memory only once for the next couple of years and if you have a lot of memory intensive operations, like colour corrections and the like, the difference is yes/no (choose one) worth the price difference.

I can't judge this for you. Sorry.

• 10. Re: What can I expect with 4.1