11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 5:35 PM by iGeno

Problem when installing

iGeno

i have a problem when i install this program. I go through the trial or serial thing, then i pick the programs i want it to come with, bridge, the toolkit thing, and after effects, now i click install. and this page comes up which says on the setup, preparing the installation or whatever something like that. ppl that have it say it goes really fast like it takes 10 seconds. i never get past that page. it takes forever! i havent gotten to use the program yet! it does this with all the adobe programs i got flash and after effects. what do i do?!

• 1. Re: Problem when installing
          yenaphe Level 4

First of all, please give us some basic informations:

what versions of the application are you trying to install.

What is your OS ?

What are the specs of your pc/mac ?

What is your graphic card ?

Only then we can try to narrow down your problem.

Seb

• 2. Re: Problem when installing
            iGeno Level 1

ok specs i'll try to remember:

250 GB disc

3 GB ram

Vista home premium

os vista home premium

dont know graphics card forgot how to show specs on a computer

• 3. Re: Problem when installing
              iGeno Level 1

graphics card intel (R) graphics media accelerator 45000MHD

any thing else?

• 4. Re: Problem when installing
                yenaphe Level 4

Hum, i'm not sure if your Gfx card is supported by AE, and i guerss that may be the problem.

Lets see several other things, just to make sure:

Do you install your software from a retail disk or a download version ? Is it a trial your are trying to install or do you have a registered copy ? Most importantly, where you able to install it before on that pc, or any other pc ?

• 5. Re: Problem when installing
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please check this page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407428.html and see, if one of the issues applies to your situation. Generally when encountering install problems, it is advisable to get rid of othe Adobe stuff first and see, if it makes a differnce. This includes especially uninstalling smaller tools such as Adobe AIR and Beta sioftware you may have used from the Adobe Labs site as well as Adobe Reader. In addition, if other CS3 or CS4 products are on the system already, using the CS4 Clean Utitlity may be required. And Seb is right - your graphics chipset is not officially supported by Adobe. This should not affect the install, but you will not be able to use OpenGL features in After Effects and Photoshop and playback acceleration Features in Premiere Pro and Encore may also not be available...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Problem when installing
                    iGeno Level 1

so your saying, that i cant install photoshop, or after effects cs4 on my computer without any programs that i need that will help it install??

• 7. Re: Problem when installing
                      yenaphe Level 4

Usually, you don't have to uninstall anything in order to install After Effects or Photoshop. But in your case, you are having trouble.

That's standard behavior , in order to make it install to go through steps to find out what is causing a problem. At one point, if without uninstalling anything your software still doesn't want o install, that means that there is a conflict with your system. That could be another application, or the OS itself.

So uninstalling Adobe products is a first step, as they share a lot of  common libraries and if you have, for exemple, Adobe Air installed, it's possible that for some of theses libraries you have more recent version than the one shipped with the CS4 retail version, thus causing some trouble during the install process.

Sometimes it can even be a simple font causing an install to crash. So it's really difficult to see whats going on when the installer crash without saying anything.

BTW, are you trying to install a trial version or the retail product. Either way, is it a disc based installation or a download version ? A bad media or a corrupted download can aslo fail the installation process.

• 8. Re: Problem when installing
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

iGeno wrote:

so your saying, that i cant install photoshop, or after effects cs4 on my computer without any programs that i need that will help it install??

No, that's not what I'm saying. The critical thing is, that some programs must be installed in a specific order, as there are dependencies between shared components. This is further complicated by the fact, that differnt update levels of differnt programs may introduce additional complexities. It may be annoying, but that's just the way it is. Ideally we would all install Master Collections and be done with it to avoid such troubles . Specific to your situation - the CS4 Clean Utility does not remove anything, it merely cleans up the installer database to coerce any successive installs into thinking that there are no Adobe products on the system. It only does not cover Adobe AIR and a few others, so these may need to be uninstalled manually. It's a minor thing, though, as they can be re-installed just as fast...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Problem when installing
                          iGeno Level 1

ok im trying the link you sent me with the instructions. its similiar, it just freezes after that part. Seb its the trial version, and where can i get CS4 Disk Cleanup?

• 10. Re: Problem when installing
                            iGeno Level 1

this are just 3 pics i got 2 more

• 11. Re: Problem when installing
                              iGeno Level 1

i did what you recommended by taking off all my adobe products. i only had adobe flash player, flash player plug in, acrobat, reader, and air. did i need any of those?