I am using the following wrapper for deploying my Flex application. It works fine when the files are local but when the files are deployed on the server, IE works fine but I only see a blank screen in firefox and opera. However if I right click and click play the application runs fine. I don't understand what I need to do to make the Flex application autorun in Firefox and Opera as it works on IE (on server and local) and all browsers (when local).
I would be grateful for any help. I am wantonly including flashVars in both the object and embed tags to get it to be read in all browsers. The problem seems to be play="true" does not seems to be honored in Firefox and Opera when the flash in on a server but works when it is local. I have also tried accessing the flash directly without a HTML wrapper but the same problem happens only in firefox and opera but works in IE.
id="DistributorWarehouse" width="100%" height="100%"
<param name="movie" value="/public/DISTRIBUTORWAREHOUSE.SWF" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#869ca7" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="flashVars" value="CustNo=0000000004&Distp=2&Distfl=4&Distsl=0020&vkorg=GDMI&vtweg=CM&empl=X"/>
<embed src="/public/DISTRIBUTORWAREHOUSE.SWF" bgcolor="#869ca7"
width="100%" height="100%" name="DistributorWarehouse" align="middle"
It must be some little cludge. If it was a problem with FF it would have shown up by now.
I found the cause of the problem. The server was compressing the swf file to reduce bandwidth and setting Content-Encoding: gzip. This means that Firefox and Opera receive the file but you have to right and click play to play the file or do a refresh. The solution is to change the server settings not to compress swf files. However I cannot understand why it should work in IE but not firefox or opera.
gzip-ing at the server is pretty common. I think you'd see warnings on the net if that was a problem.