7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 8:21 PM by the_wine_snob

PrPro does not open vob file

2lias

Anyone could help me?

PrPro CS4 4.1 does not open the first VOB file but open others. What can I do to solve this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Where did the DVD come from? Was it a DVR to DVD recording device? Was it a DVD created in Adobe Encore?

CS4.1 seems to have no problem with VOB's from 100% perfect DVD-spec. DVD's. Most recording to DVD devices add their own menuing scheme and this is not 100% DVD-spec. compliant.

See this ARTICLE for an alternative workflow. It's written for Encore, but will work for PrPro too.

There are also a few dozen recent articles on this, and the PrElements forum, plus Muvipix.com, discussing the problems with non-DVD-spec. discs. In several, I've gone into specifics on the why not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
            2lias Level 1

The DVD is from recording device and my PrPro just open from de second file but the first-one doesn't.

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:23:19 -0600

To: elias_cardoso@hotmail.com

Subject: PrPro does not open vob file

Where did the DVD come from? Was it a DVR to DVD recording device? Was it a DVD created in Adobe Encore?

CS4.1 seems to have no problem with VOB's from 100% perfect DVD-spec. DVD's. Most recording to DVD devices add their own menuing scheme and this is not 100% DVD-spec. compliant.

See this /thread/423743?tstart=0 for an alternative workflow. It's written for Encore, but will work for PrPro too.

There are also a few dozen recent articles on this, and the PrElements forum, plus Muvipix.com, discussing the problems with non-DVD-spec. discs. In several, I've gone into specifics on the why not.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Recording devices are almost always problematic. Because the VOB file is a Video Object file, it can contain much more than just the MPEG-2 file, which is what you are after. The first VOB can contain Menus and this is often the problem, if these are not 100% DVD-spec., like from Encore. Most of these devices write some menuing data, even if you did not instruct it to do a specific Menu.

In such cases, ripping the DVD is about the only answer. Do not recall, and the forum does not let me look up thread, if I linked to this ARTICLE by Jeff Bellune. While written for Encore, the process holds for PrPro. Jeff's suggestions are not the only software, or the only workflow, but you will get the point.

If I have to retrieve MPEG-2 files from a DVD, and the VOB's will not Import properly, I just play the DVD into my A-D capture device and Capture to a DV-AVI file, for Import into PrPro. I do not have device control, so I have to start the capture software (not in PrPro, but 3rd party), then hit the remote on the DVD player to play from where I queued it up. Other than the quality loss of the original MPEG-2 encoding, it works perfectly and for every non-commercial DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                What can I do to solve this?

Try a consumer editor.  VideoHelp.com is a good place to look.

• 5. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the list of consumer-oriented programs, I would instantly remove PrElements, as it has the same issues. Adobe programs are very strict with the DVD-specs.

I'd look to programs, such as CyberLink Power Director, or Magix Movie Edit Pro. Do not know about any of the Sony Vegas programs. You want some program that plays fast-n-loose with the DVD-specs, just like the recording device. There are also many freeware, and shareware ripping apps., and one of those (or a combo of them), might help you out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
                    fljournalist

I'm using 4.0 (both updates gave me new problems, but that's another post). I simply change the extension from .vob to .mpg and have never had a problem importing/opening the files.

I'm not really understanding what you mean by the program not opening the first file. I've never been able to even import a .vob file without first changing the extension.

• 7. Re: PrPro does not open vob file
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The renaming of a VOB to MPEG can work under the right circumstances. As has been stated, a .VOB can contain much more than just the MPEG-2 data stream. When it does, that is the problem. Usually, it's some rogue menuing, that creates the problem. In the earlier cases, it is probably the menuing form the the DVD unit, that caused the problem. As long as it works, that is fine.

With CS4.1, the .VOB's from Encore and other 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's should Import fine.

Should you encounter a "bad" .VOB, especially the first one, come back to the thread and read the earlier replies, as they will likely help you. If all of your .VOB's were created in Encore, then CS4.1 should be all you will need.

Good luck,

Hunt