8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Video Capture Problem

emjaybe

Hi, I posted the following in the Photoshop Elements group and it was suggested that I post it here instead, so here goes . . .

I'm using a trial version of Photoshop Elements 7.0 (with about 3 weeks left before I have to buy or lose it).

It seem that I'm having a problem capturing images from my Dazzle DVC100 video device

File > Import > Dazzle DVC Video Device

The video appears in the window but I get the following error message when I click the "capture" button:

"Incorrect STI driver detected for the current video capture device, please re-install driver."

I have re-installed all drivers from the manufacturer twice from the disk, and once more after downloading the drivers from the manufacturer's web site (in case something was bad on the software CD).  I have also re-installed the Photoshop program using a new copy of the download program.

The device works fine in other software programs.  I suppose I could capture the video in one of them then work with the pictures in Photoshop Elements but I would like to know if this 'bug' can be fixed somehow.

• 1. Re: Video Capture Problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Dazzle devices have always been problematic. Even the parent company (unless they've been spun off), Pinnacle/Avid has had many issues with them. Just check out the threads on the Pinnacle Studio fora and you'll get the picture.

Now, a couple of questions:

1.) can you Capture through the Dazzle to Windows Movie Maker (WMM)?

2.) can you Capture from the camera via FireWire through the trial of PE?

3.) can you use other software, like ScenAlyzer Live, through the Dazzle?

4.) did the Dazzle come with Capture software? Does that work?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Capture Problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Further Hunt's post, I would not recommend trying to edit video captured through Dazzle in Premiere Elements under any conditions!

Like the All-in-One capture card, Dazzle is a lower-end digitizing device that can pretty much only work with the software that comes with it.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer more information on the best devices for capturing non-miniDV video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video Capture Problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

From my old Pinnacle forum days, I recall nothing but problems, even with the bundled Pinnacle software. I do not recall any poster with an issue ever able to make a Dazzle work.

Now, I do have to admit that there were probably millions, who did, and never showed up on the forum. Still, all of the failures indicated that this was not a good device, when I went looking for an A-D option.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video Capture Problem
                emjaybe Level 1

> 1.) can you Capture through the Dazzle to Windows Movie Maker (WMM)?

No, WMM doesn't appear to be capable of capturing from this type of device.  I tried to 'convince' WMM it was a digital camera but it wouldn't recognize it.

> 2.) can you Capture from the camera via FireWire through the trial of PE?

No.  Apple's FireWire?

> 3.) can you use other software, like ScenAlyzer Live, through the Dazzle?

No, but I'll try the free trial download and see what happens.

>  4.) did the Dazzle come with Capture software? Does that work?  

No, not exactly,  The software will capture audio/video inputs straight to my DVD recorder, or to my hard drive in several formats (such as .avi, .wmv, etc.).  The software will capture still frames from the captured multimedia files.

Thanks for your input.

• 5. Re: Video Capture Problem
                  emjaybe Level 1

> Further Hunt's post, I would not recommend trying to edit video captured

> through Dazzle in Premiere Elements under any conditions!

Doesn't look like I'll be able to do it, even though I'd like to.  I found the feature while exploring the proggy.  The video in the window looks great, it's just when I hit the 'capture' button when I have problems.

> The FAQs to the right of this forum offer more information on the best

> devices for capturing non-miniDV video.

> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

Thanks, I'll look there.

• 6. Re: Video Capture Problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    The software will capture audio/video inputs straight to my DVD recorder, or to my hard drive in several formats (such as .avi, .wmv, etc.).

In this case, use that software and capture to .AVI. Choose the MS DV CODEC for AVI. If you have an option on the Audio, choose 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. If you cannot choose that, take any flavor of WAV.

Hope that this will get your footage onto your computer, for Import into PE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video Capture Problem
                      emjaybe Level 1

>  In this case, use that software and capture to .AVI. Choose the

> MS DV CODEC for AVI. If you have an option on the Audio, choose

> 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. If you cannot choose that, take any flavor of WAV.

The settings you're recommending are available but I'm primarily using the Dazzle to transfer old VHS tapes straight to DVD.  I would then have to import the entire DVD to an AVI file on my hard drive.  I'm wanting the captures so I can make fancy jewel box lables for the new DVDs.  Converting the DVD to AVI is a lot of work, and disk space just for a few captures.

Anyway, I can get better captures by playing the new DVDs in Windows Media Player, pausing the playback, and using "ALT + Print Screen" to capture the screen, then pasting the copy into a picture viewer program (VuePrint) and cropping out the excess image.  It would be nice if I could just capture a few stills straight from the DVD but without a usable STI driver I guess I'm out of luck.

Oh well, thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Video Capture Problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The problem with a VHS to DVD to PE workflow is that your material will have undergone a significant compression to MPEG-2 to get to the DVD. When you rip, or otherwise use the MPEG-2 data (stored in the VOB files, though they can contain much more than just the MPEG-2 file), you are either converting that data to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio internally (inside PE), or externally via a 3rd party program. Then, if you Burn a DVD of that edited material, you will once more compress it to MPEG-2. The quality WILL suffer. Whether you can live with that degredation, only you can decide.

A better workflow would be to Capture from the VHS as a DV-AVI Type II and Import that into PE. This save one MPEG-2 compression. I would only suggest doing a VHS to DVD for archival purposes only. I had a Project with 34 VHS tapes and did just that. I went to DVD for archival copies, and then redid the Capture to DV-AVI Type II files w/ the appropriate Audio. These were what I edited from, creating a 12 DVD set with the edited material.

I'd do everything to keep DVD out of the workflow, except for archiving and the final delivery scheme. Otherwise, it's akin to printing out a document from your computer, and sending it as a FAX. The recipient of that FAX, makes some changes and then sends it back to you via FAX. Compare that return FAX to the document that you printed out. Even with good FAX machines, it will show degredation. Yes, you can still probably read it, but it WILL look worse.

Good luck,

Hunt