6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 7:13 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error

MarkB1000

The previous thread on this topic doesn't seem to match my problem. I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas or if its time to contact support.

PE7 (downloaded) on Vista32 (UAC disabled)

Program installed error-free, starts ok.

I start a new project, import .VOB files from any dvd (homemade) - I have tried multiple dvd's so I don't think its the disks. Though they were all created by the same recorder.

The .VOB files can be double-clicked on in the organizer window and will play, however when I drag one down to the timeline PE7 crashes with the error:

Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 7.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48e15f40, faulting module ad2mpgvdec.dll, version 7.5.0.34854, time stamp 0x48c8ca77, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0008e337, process id 0xe14, application start time 0x01ca01b291a1ee81.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I checked the file, it is only in the "c:\program files\adobe\adobe premiere elements 7.0"  folder and is version 7.7.0.34854 (9/30/2008)

Based on the other thread, I'm guessing it is some kind of codec configuration problem but i don't know how to resolve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

• 1. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tell us about the recording device that created the DVD's. With DVD-spec. DVD's, PE (and PrPro CS4.1) seems to have no problems.

Here is an ARTICLE with some similarities, except for the source footage.

Now, can you create a New Project and Import some other footage, besides your DVD's? What happens then?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error (now VOB length issue)
            MarkB1000 Level 1

Update - I re-installed into "c:\prgfiles\PE7" and it seems to work..at least it doesn't crash any more.

However, the wierd behaviour continues...Now when I import the .vob's I don't get all the file length available.

Last night I recorded 4 hours of video. The dvd has 4 .vob files on it and when PE is done importing them, they are 1gb in size. (see screenshot)

when I use VLC media player to watch them, I get 1 hour per file, but in PE I am getting a smaller number of minutes for 3 of them.

Notice in the screenshot, VLC confirms that file "VTS_01_2.VOB is 1 hour long (it is halfway through and shows as 1:29 min into the total video), but notice in the PE organizer window it shows as 4 minutes, 56 seconds and in the PE preview window it also shows as 4:56

The recorder is a Pansonic DMR-ES35V. You think its the recorder? I don't have anything else except purchased dvd's and they will all be copy-protected, I doubt I can pull anything off them.

Mark

• 3. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error (now VOB length issue)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would first think that you recorder is not creating 100% DVD-spec. VOB's, especially the first one, and this is probably due to their menuing, whether you use a menu, or not. PE and PrPro 4.1 work fine with DVD-spec VOB's.

For a workaround, you might want to read this ARTICLE. There are other programs that will rip non-protected well also. One can also use their video camera, if it has passthrough capabilities, and the DVD player to Capture from the DVD. You will not have device control, but can start the Capture and then the DVD player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error
                Kodebuster Level 3

VOB's are basically Mpeg and this compressed format has a tendency to not play nice with PE.

When and wherever possible convert to DV-AVI for best results and the least hassles.

I would download VirtualDub at this link:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Import one of the VOB files into VDub, Export (Save As) as DV-AVI (take the defaults).

Then import the DV-AVI into PE and Test.

Post any results...

• 5. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error
                  MarkB1000 Level 1

Thanks guys, I will give it a try.

• 6. Re: PE7 crashes with ad2mpgvdec.dll error
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    VOB's are basically Mpeg and this compressed format has a tendency to not play nice with PE.

This is more often the case with VOB's after the first, unless there are Subtitles. The first VOB can contain a bit more, and this is often where the problems come in. The most often encountered "Object" contained is the Menuing for the DVD. The reason that all Menu Assets cannot exceed the 1GB limit for the entire DVD-Video is because the Menus cannot span more than one VOB and VOB's are limited to ~ 1GB. If the Menus are created by an authoring program that produces DVD-Videos that are 100% DVD-spec. compliant, then programs like PE and PrPro CS4.1 can usually strip out the Menus and work with the remaining MPEG-2 file in that VOB. Now, remember that the Menuing structure can occupy the entire first VOB, so there might not be any MPEG-2 in there, from the movie. Because a VOB is a Video Object file, it can contain a lot more than just an MPEG-2, and often does.

I strongly agree that MPEG-2 is tough to edit. First, all frames are not included in them. The NLE must create all the frames, so one can edit. The editor can do this conversion outside of the NLE, as you instruct. I find this to be the best way, so that my NLE is only working with DV-AVI Type II files, for SD material.

One common problem, when working with MPEG-2 files is that they often exhibit OOS (Out Of Sync) issues.A good conversion program will likely, though not always, solve those issues.

If one is working on outputting a DVD from any kind of recorder, the first thing that I would suggest is to make sure that there are no Menus, if at all possible. Most recorders will still write a null Menu to the disc, and this will likely mean that the first VOB will not work properly in the NLE. Try to get a disc without any form of Menu, and you might get lucky. This will depend on the exact way that these devices create that first VOB.

Good luck,

Hunt