2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Can you transpose audio from one clip to video of a different clip?

fronz62

I am editing a short film and would like to take the audio from one clip and transpose it to the video of a different clip. Is there a way to do this? (I know you can link and unlink the audio and video of clips). Any help would be appreciated - thanks

• 1. Re: Can you transpose audio from one clip to video of a different clip?
          PeterFDuke Level 1

If I understand you, the answer is yes. With the audio and video unlinked, you can drag say the audio to match up with the video elsewhere. You will find it convenient to use a spare audio track while you are shuffling things around. Alternatively you could move the video and leave the audio where it is.

• 2. Re: Can you transpose audio from one clip to video of a different clip?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The easiest way to separate the Video & Audio is to drag the muxed file to the Timeline. The exact position does not matter, but I'd choose a place where you can see the Clip that you will wish the "borrowed" Audio to go with - your "target" Clip. Once on the Timeline, Alt-click the Audio, to unlink it and then drag to an empty Audio Track near your desired target. Alt-click on the remaining Video of your source Clip and delete it.

Now, you do similar, should your "target" Clip have its own Audio, that you will want replaced. Alt-click on that Audio and delete it. Now, I'd turn off Snap and align the "borrowed" Audio to the "target" Video Clip. Once you have it where you want it, turn Snap back on.

The secret is the Alt-click to separate the Audio and the Video. Make sure to use this, especially if you want to delete one stream, as they are still linked. They're muxed, after all. I find this keystroke combo easier than using the Link/Unlink.

Last, if your "borrowed" Audio will fit into the area on the Audio Track, where you deleted the "target" Clip's Audio, you can then just drag your "borrowed" Audio to that Audio Track, or you can leave it where it is. The choice is yours and is just a housekeeping task anyway.

As I do a lot of Track specific work with the Audio Mixer, it is not uncommon for me to have similar looking Audio on different Tracks. With Audio Mixer, you apply Track Keyframes and Effects to the entire Track and not to the Clip. If one does nothing but Clip Effects and Keyframing, this will not matter.

Good luck,

Hunt