4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 12:36 AM by dsadasdsadasdsasd

Delivering logos to client

dsadasdsadasdsasd

I have always designed websites in Fireworks CS4 but have now started designing logos.  What is the best way of getting these to a client so they can give ot a printer?  Currently, everything is 72dpi, so I assume I need to convert to 300dpi?  I see that I can save as Illustrator (.AI) files but I think the whole thing needs to be vectorised first.  When I try and make the logo text 'convert to paths' the font distorts slightly so I am loathed to do this.  Can I simply not send the fonts with the logo?

I would also give them a 100% quality JPG too for things like word etc, but need to know the best way of delivering the finals.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Delivering logos to client
          pixlor Level 4

DPI only has meaning in the context of an output device.

If you're moving into the area of logo design, you should use Illustrator, so that you can deliver vector files that are also suitable for print.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Delivering logos to client
            dsadasdsadasdsasd Level 1

Thank you.  I would love to use illustrator but can't afford it.  That said, I have found no limitations so far with Fireworks so would like to continue using it.  I just need to find the kind of 'standard' way that logos are given to clients.

• 3. Re: Delivering logos to client
              pixlor Level 4

Then get Inkscape, which is free, and will get you at least part of the way there.

Fireworks is designed to produce Web graphics. It's very good for that. However, it is not an illustration program. Here are some of its limitations for logo design:

• It does not have color management.
              • It can't produce files in CMYK.
              • It can't set Pantone ink colors for print.
              • It can't output in .eps.

A professional logo designer will produce logos that are ready for all formats, not just Web. If you want to market yourself as a logo designer, then you need the proper tools. If you're expanding your business, then you should invest in the infrastructure to support that expansion.

But...I think you need to do some more research into logo design, file exchange, and where dpi really comes into play, first.

Try this for starters: http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

The data in an image is contained in the number of pixels wide by the number of pixels high, by the color. The dpi setting, if there is one, instructs the output device how to scale the image for printing. Monitors disregard dpi settings, printers do not. Printing the same image (wiith dpi info) on two printers with vastly different resolutions will result in different sized areas being printed, from the same data.

When you design in Fireworks for the Web, that dpi setting is meaningless as Web design is accomplished with pixels, not inches and dpi conversions. You mostly don't worry about color control, as you know that most people don't have calibrated monitors. You just do the best you can.

If, on the other hand, you give your clients a bitmap image with dpi information and you do not know their printers (or the ICC profiles of their printers), you have no way of making sure that the materials they print out will print with consistent colors, much less the color you selected as an RGB value. You have know way of knowing that you've given them the right sizes for the output devices they will use. You just don't know. And, since you're using Fireworks, you have no way of compensating for either size or color.

• 4. Re: Delivering logos to client
                dsadasdsadasdsasd Level 1

Thanks for your detailed advice.  It's greatly appreciated.  I will take a look at Inkscape.

Marcus