13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 7:29 PM by Powered by Design

smooth video transitions

hellomartinab Level 1

Hello I am making a slideshow using Premiere Pro CS4.  To burn a quick dvd to see how things look on a tv I am picking dynamic link to encore then just setting title button and end and burning it. When I view the dvd on a hd tv places where I have pictures moving (side to side, zooming in/out) as well as some transitions just are not super smooth. Is there somethiing I might be doing wrong? I would think an $800 program could get this, so I am assuming I am doing something wrong. Is there somewhere I can or should be using a HD setting? The pictures I am using in the program are in jpeg format (if that makes any difference). I just want a super clear and clean looking movie, please help me!

Martina

• 1. Re: smooth video transitions
          jatmraz Level 1

Martina,

In my never ending search for knowledge I came across a tutorial on creating a slide show directly within EN, as opposed to linking PPro -> EN. I don't think you have much to choose from for effects, but I'd hazard a guess that the post production results will be better as it relates to quality. The other thing you may want to explore (where I suspect you are having the problem) is right clicking on the timeline in the project window and clicking on interprest footage and set it to SD NTS (.09). I posted a question yesterday about quality and was amazed by the difference when exporting it in correct format as opposed to "automatic". Also, I transcoded as progressive 7MB 2 pass.

I believe you can go to tv.adobe and find the tutorial there under Encore, creating a slideshow.

Joe

• 2. Re: smooth video transitions
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            When I view the dvd on a hd tv

I just want a super clear and clean looking movie

Try watching on a standard definition CRT set.

• 3. Re: smooth video transitions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Many of the problems that you see can be caused by the upsampling of your player to HD. Remember, you are outputting an SD DVD-Video, not a BD, unless I missed that part of your workflow. The upsampling can look completely different, depending on the player, the scheme and the chips that it uses.

To judge quality of a DVD-Video, one should view on a TV and set-top player that sticks with the SD material, with no upsampling.

The results with other formats will vary by equipment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: smooth video transitions
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The biggest problem with the SlideShow feature in En is that it is very limited in what it can do. It is almost an afterthought, and PrPro is much better to work with. Some feel that other programs, like ProShow Gold, or Producer, are even better than PrPro for heavy-duty SlideShow production.

The En>SlideShows sub-forum is filled with complaints about the limitations of that program's SlideShow feature. For short, quick, simple, it's OK. Get anywhere beyond that, and one will be frustrated.

I've used it once, to experiment, and immediately went back to PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: smooth video transitions
                  hellomartinab Level 1

Thanks for the input. Yes I am using an upsampling dvd player. I am starting a business making slideshows so I have no control over what kind of dvd player people use. You mentioned Pro producer - photodex. Won't I have the same issue with this software? I would really like for premiere to work for me, because I have learned how to use it and the money involved. But what is most important is that the final output is smooth, clear.

thanks Martina

• 6. Re: smooth video transitions
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try setting up a sequence with no fields and see how that works or

always deinterlace (field options) all images.

• 7. Re: smooth video transitions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as the best workflow in ProShow Producer, I believe that Ann Bens, reply above, uses it a good deal, so she'd be able to answer any questions on it.

I'm looking at it right now, but just do not do enough SlideShows to invest the time and $ right now. Still, it does look good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: smooth video transitions
                        hellomartinab Level 1

How do you do what you are suggesting Ann? I will try anything, if I know how to.

After looking at a lot of posts I feel like unless you use a blue ray dvd on a HD tv it is not going to look perfect, and you see jagginess in movement. People have talked about de-interlacing but it is just going over my head. I wish there was a simple answer. I am just trying to make a slideshow with PP CS4 in 16:9 format with smooth transitions and clear pictures that can be viewed on a hd tv.

thank you

Martina

• 9. Re: smooth video transitions
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I have no control over what kind of dvd player people use.

Very true, which is why your quality control must be properly done on the best, properly calibrated equipment you can afford.  And for DVD that means SD CRT.

• 10. Re: smooth video transitions
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When setting up a new sequence go to General and choose Desktop under Editing Mode. Now you can set the fields to No Fields (Progressive)

Somewhat tedious is always deinterlacing via field Options (right click on image) but will probably give the same result.

When images flicker use the Flicker Removal or use the Anti-Flicker filter.

I am with Hunt, i make my slideshows in ProShowGold also a product of Photodex and it gives me a far more better results than Pro does.

You could ask your clients to get a dvd player that upscales for HD.

Or make it into a HD file suited for an all round media player like WD HD TV Media Player.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

• 11. Re: smooth video transitions
                              hellomartinab Level 1

SD CRT Does that mean standard definition on the old style tvs?

I am assuming most people will have hd lcd or plasma tv's not crt ( if I undestand that crt is the older style tv) - yep and I know what assuming does!

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Jim

Martina

• 12. Re: smooth video transitions
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are on the right path. An NTSC (or PAL) calibrated CRT monitor will be SD. The two things that it allows will be perfect calibration/re-calibration of the colors and gamma, plus they show 100% of the feed, and do not "overscan," like most CRT TV's.

Now, HD is a can-o-worms, as there are different flavors of it, and different equipment handles it in a different fashion. Also, the proliferation of various types of display, LCD, LED, Plasma, etc., mean that calibration to any sort of "norm" is almost impossible. You can test it on a handlful of equipment and shoot for the middle, in hopes that your particular client will have the settings on similar gear to match what you adjusted to.

You could adjust for the same model of plasma TV that your client has, but because you live in San Diego and he lives in Leadville, CO, at 10,500', the displays will differ. Will it be enough to matter? Maybe.

I doubt that there will ever be an iron-clad standard with HD. If there is, then next month there will be a breakthrough with technology, and when those sets start selling, all bets are off. It was so easy for so long - use an NTSC calibrated CRT and you were good to go (though the client could have the color all out of whack, but that would be for their line in signal, as well).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: smooth video transitions