7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 10:17 AM by the_wine_snob

First PR CS4 Project - Impressions

SpareWheel Level 2

My first project using PR CS4 came last weekend. This is NOT to self promote but to give an opinion and overview concerning my experience of my first NLE (Non Linear Editing) using PC and PR CS4.

Output can be viewd at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4W1lSIlLH8

I installed PR CS4 a week before. I hired a Sony DSR 170P and shot on DV PAL - all hand-held. My intention is to purchase the Sony V1E.

Capture was interlaced DV PAL 25fps via IEE 1394 4-to-6 pin - output was to Progessive WMV as this project was to the Internet and not intended for DVD or any TV formats. I use ASUS P6T Motherboard with CPU i7 920, 9GB RAM, 500MB WD Black HDD with Vista 64bit O/S, and a pair of Maxtor 1TB Diamond Max RAID 0 for the data. Project upload file was 37MB.

My background has been broadcast TV both in the UK & the US. I was initiallay a VT editor on 2" Quad, then later to 1" Helical, and much much later as a freelance dir/prod using early AVID - I then left the industry to make money, and to get a life. 

Then I retired

First impression of PR CS4 was very good, although for a person who was use to mix/editing music tracks using two Studer A62 machines and Chinagraph pencil markers (without centre track timecode) to PCM Sony F1 output, it was strange using the TIMELINE concepts. Having the ability to have a NAB tape reel in the left AND right hand to rock-and-roll the in/out point by ear is/was a seemingly natural action. It's only when you are presented with a TIMELINE that things take on a different perspective in both video and audio.

I found most things in PR CS4 fairly intuitive, once I had go use to the TIMELINE concept. Same could be said of the Transitions and Effects. It really is a case of trial and many errors, but I was able to get things together within about 24 hours and the project started to come together. Last was the colour balance and shot tweeking which was compounded by a dull day and varying lighting conditions.

I was thwarted by not being able to produce a Freeze Frame at the end, as there didn't appear to be an intuitive solution. The Time Mapping element is NOT a solution for this requirement. I went to "air" without but later discovered that exporting the required frame as a BMP (BitMap) then importing that BMP image into the project Timeline produced the desired effect - a learning curve!

One thing I must ask the more experienced people here on this forum - please do not use acronynms or abbreviations. If you do, then please include the full meaning. For example the use of the term AME - YOU know what this means, the new users of PR CS4 more than likely don't!

• 1. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          One thing I must ask the more experienced people here on this forum - please do not use acronynms or abbreviations. If you do, then please include the full meaning. For example the use of the term AME - YOU know what this means, the new users of PR CS4 more than likely don't!

I agree very annoying, the same goes for tipical American abbreciations, this for being non-American.

• 2. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
            AsianOcean.com Level 1

In CS3 and earlier the way I make freeze frame: cut the avi from where you want freeze frame. Then framehold inpoint. You have the first frame as still. If your avi is not long enough for the duration, just slow down the segment. The first frame will show through the length of the clip as a freeze frame. Easy. I guess it will work in CS4 as well.

• 3. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              please do not use acronynms or abbreviations.

You ask a lot of folks who write this stuff day in and day out.  The concept of abbreviations is there for a reason.  The better request would be for a sticky Glossary that the uninformed may refer to.

• 4. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I agree that abbreviations and acronyms that resemble SMS and other shorthands are disturbing and make for very unpleasant reading, often leading to misinterpretation and confusion. OTOH (On the other hand) some basic abbreviations like IMHO, AFAIK, IIRC and the like are so common, that everybody ought to know these terms and if they do not recognize these, there is always the help of http://www.netlingo.com/

You have already fallen into the trap of using abbreviations by talking about PR instead of Premiere Pro. It may take some time to get used to it, but with the proper terms and commonly recognized abbreviations, it makes posting and replying a lot easier. If you have to spell out AME for each and every post it would quickly become extremely cumbersome.

There is always a middle road. If I started talking in terms of: "You better use teamed NIC's over iSCSI for the NAS" I would not be surprised you find that geek talk. If I were to enlarge on this with a full explanation, to be understood by every newbie on the block, you would think: "Jeez, can't you get to the point. I don't want to read 8 pages of dull text."

Just my 0.02

• 5. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
                  SpareWheel Level 2

Yes you're quite right. I used abbreviations too, and writing posts it's hard not to do the same. Looking back on how I described my system spec - jeez too!

I think what Jim suggests is quite a useful idea - provide a glossary. That would certainly help newbies like me. And thanks to AsianOcean.com for the freeze frame suggestion.

• 6. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I see both points. Spending some time on the PE (Premiere Elements) forum, where many users have never touched any form of NLE, I try to give the "translation" to my abbreviations, when first used. Often, it works fine, but too often the reader skips over the "NLE (Non Linear Editor)" reference and question "what the heck does 'NLE' mean?"

OTHO (we all know this one, don't we?), the info IS contained, if one just wants to read it.

It can make things a bit difficult, but with just a little help along the way, they should be able to translate it.

Hunt

PS, what I hate is the "text messaging-speak," that one sees too often nowadays.

• 7. Re: First PR CS4 Project - Impressions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I agree on the glossary concept. I'd love to see it expanded to "common terms," as well as the abbreviations. Pursuant to a simiar comment in another thread, it would be great to have a chart with columns for Adobe, Avid, FCP, etc., as some of the terms common to one program will be different in another.

However, I shudder to think of compiling such a glossary, and how long it would be.

Hunt