9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location

Belatamas

Cab anyone help me please with the following problems.  I am using Premier Elements 7;

1.      When my camcorder zooms in or out, at the end it makes a ‘clicking’ sound.  How can I ‘mute’ it out when I am editing in a simple way?  Currently I go to the Audio track, insert two ‘diamond’ on either side of the sound and one at the centre, go into property and reduce the middle point to 0.0 db.  It is bit longwinded.  Is there any shorter method of doing that?

2.      On my ‘titles’ which are placed on tope a clip by way of an explanation, I always use ‘fade in’ and ‘fade out’ video.  To do that each time I have to go into the ‘title’ slide and insert the fade in/out.  Can I set up template that would automatically insert the fade in/out?  I always use the same font.

3.      I generally capture the whole tape (about an hour) from my camcorder. It is saved as say “Tour Tape 1”.  Up till now I have been editing the whole tape in one hit. However, towards the end of my editing, even though I have 1.5 GB memory and a  400 GB dedicated drive for video clips, of which at least 80-90GB is always free, I seem to get into ‘memory’ trouble.  I would like to preserve the original clips and the name of the tape, for possible later use. However, I would also like to have an ‘edited version’ of ‘Tour Tape 1’.  It does not seem that I can do that. 

I don’t quite understand where and how PE saves its progressive files?  It save so many files that I am not sure which is the latest and where does it store them?  Is the ‘Premier Elements Auto Save’ folder where all files are saved?  Is there a write-up, or a good manual that describes how and where the files are saved and stored?

One way I am using lately is to go to ‘Share’, and create a file under ‘Personal Computer – Export files for viewing on computers’.  But it is not clear to me that I do not lose on the quality, especially on the sound when I put them together.  

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Tom J

• 1. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Tom, I'd definitely recommend you spread your questions out over a couple of threads rather than asking them all at once! It can be challenging enough to answer a complicated question in a brief post -- but three at once! Yeow!

But here are some really quick answers in the meantime.

1. Yes. That's the only solution. A better solution, of course, is to get a different camcorder! You shouldn't have to deal with this kind of motor noise on a quality camcorder!

2. Yes, you can create a Preset that you can reuse on all of your titles. To do this, go to the Properties panel, right-click on the Opacity effect and select the Save Preset option. It can then be found in your My Presets whenever you want it.

3. Challenges to memory and resources (as long as you have adequate hard drive space) are usually related to your source files. When you next post this question, I recommend you tell us what kind of camcorder you're getting your video from and if, when you place your clips on your timeline, you see a red line along the top of the timeline.

It also is important to maintain your computer, clear your temp files and defragment your hard drive(s) regularly. There are FAQs to the right of this forum that offer more information on how.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is my take on each question:

1.      When my camcorder zooms in or out, at the end it makes a ‘clicking’ sound.  How can I ‘mute’ it out when I am editing in a simple way?  Currently I go to the Audio track, insert two ‘diamond’ on either side of the sound and one at the centre, go into property and reduce the middle point to 0.0 db.  It is bit longwinded.  Is there any shorter method of doing that?

I use four of those "diamonds" (Keyframes) to adjust the Volume of the Audio. The first is the "hold" at my regular Volume. The second is where I want the -oodb setting to be. The third is a "hold" for that Volume (silence), and the fourth is the "hold" for my regular Volume. With the Keyframes, one can easily adjust the way that each of these Keyframes are applied. I use a combo of Bezier Curves to "smooth" out the decrease and then the increase in Volume.

A second method, and one that you might find useful, is to do your Video editing, and ignore the Audio for a bit. When you are done with the Video editing, address the Audio. Likely, you will have cut out some of these "clicks" in the course of the Video editing. Now, it's time to address the ones that remain. Play your Timeline, and when you get to one of the clicks, hit the * (asterix) key on the numeric keypad. This places a Marker on the Timeline. Now, open your Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer). As you play your Timeline, click-drag on the Volume slider to "ride the gain" to -oodb at each Marker. Then, once past that Marker, move the slider back up to your chosen level. Keep doing this for each Marker, until you are done. What this does is add the necessary Keyframes, but to the Audio Track, and not to the Clip itself. These changes will automatically be done, when you Playback, or Export/Share. The one caveat is that since these Keyframes are attached to the Audio Track, if you then re-edit your Timeline, then you will need to repeat that process, and will need to move the Markers to where the "click" has now moved. Do this step LAST.

For clicks and similar transients, I use Adobe Audition to edit the Audio. It has so many great tools to clean up one's Audio. However, it is a separate, and not inexpensive, program. Other programs, like Magix Audo Cleaning Lab do a great job too, and are far less expensive than Audition. They are also a bit more automatic. Just run the Audio file through one, and the cleanup is done. For clicks, and similar, this is my strongly preferred method.

On to the others:

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              2.      On my ‘titles’ which are placed on tope a clip by way of an explanation, I always use ‘fade in’ and ‘fade out’ video.  To do that each time I have to go into the ‘title’ slide and insert the fade in/out.  Can I set up template that would automatically insert the fade in/out?  I always use the same font.

Steve has covered this with instructions on the Preset. You can also save a Style with all of the text treatments, colors, type effects, and similar. I Save_As_a_Template, any commonly used and created Title, in PrPro. The limitation is that those Templates do not include any Transitions, like one can do with PE. Though PrPro does allow one to apply any selectable "Default Transition" with just a Ctrl-d.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                3.      I generally capture the whole tape (about an hour) from my camcorder. It is saved as say “Tour Tape 1”.  Up till now I have been editing the whole tape in one hit. However, towards the end of my editing, even though I have 1.5 GB memory and a  400 GB dedicated drive for video clips, of which at least 80-90GB is always free, I seem to get into ‘memory’ trouble.  I would like to preserve the original clips and the name of the tape, for possible later use. However, I would also like to have an ‘edited version’ of ‘Tour Tape 1’.  It does not seem that I can do that.

Memory is two-fold. First, it's physical RAM - those chips on little strips and added to the MoBo. For NLE (Non Linear Editing) work, 1.5GB is a bit light. RAM is very, very cheap. First thing that I would do is check your MoBo specs, and price out going with up to 4GB of RAM. Depending ony your OS and also you MoBo, you should be able use most of that, up to about 3.5GB for programs and the OS. Since you have 1.5GB (a slightly odd number), your MoBo might support a slightly different configuration, so maybe filling up slots with matched RAM sticks to equal a total of 3GB would be the direction that you would like best, and then there is no "wasted" RAM. You will also have to reset your MoBo's BIOS to see the new RAM.

Next, we have Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). This is "memory" that is created on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and will expand the memory/resources for the OS. This is very, very important, as it is where all memory is created, when you run out of physical RAM.

This Page File is a very busy file, when doing NLE work. It appears that you have one physical HDD. Is that correct? If so, that means that that single HDD is being asked to many things at the same time. First, the OS is demanding info, and then the program (PE in this case) is demanding info too. Then, in your Project, PE is demanding the media files, and is reading and writing it working files. Also, that Page File is being accessed constantly. One HDD will not be able to keep up with all these requests.

Another consideration is that most computers have many programs and Processes loaded at bootup, that are totally unnecessary. Each one uses resources and will slow things down greatly. They steal RAM and occupy space in the Page File. Many can be completely eliminated. Open up Windows Task Manager, then go to the Processes tab. How many Processes do you have loaded? If you will do a screen-cap of that full list, and attach it (little "camera" icon on the forum editing screen), someone can look over that list, tell you what can safely be eliminated, and how to do it.

Also, follow Steve's advice for "tuning up" you computer and OS. That will help a lot.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I don’t quite understand where and how PE saves its progressive files?  It save so many files that I am not sure which is the latest and where does it store them?  Is the ‘Premier Elements Auto Save’ folder where all files are saved?  Is there a write-up, or a good manual that describes how and where the files are saved and stored?

When you start a Project, New Project, you can locate it where you want it. That is where PE will save your Project File(s), .PREL files. These are just an XML database, and they do NOT contain any of your media, only links to where it was located, when you Imported it into PE and instructions on what you did to that media. That is where your Project's files are located. If you do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, they will be there too, unless you instruct the program to put them elsewhere.

There should be an AutoSave folder with about five AutoSave files in it. These are created, while you edit, after you do an initial Save. They can be very useful, should you encounter corruption of your regular Save files.

As for general coverage of the various files, I think that Steve's book, Muvipix Guide to Adobe PE7, will cover it. However, it basically boils down to they will be located where you tell the program to store them.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One way I am using lately is to go to ‘Share’, and create a file under ‘Personal Computer – Export files for viewing on computers’.  But it is not clear to me that I do not lose on the quality, especially on the sound when I put them together.  

When you do a Share, or Export, you can alter the quality of both the Video and the Audio, via Presets for the chosen format. The "format" is file type, i.e. WMV, using the MS Windows Media Viewer CODEC. A CODEC is a two-way set of instructions. It will tell the computer how to encode the file, and will also, once encoded, tell the computer how to decode that file. The settings chosen via both the Presets and their individual parameters, will be included in that encoding instructions.

For the highest quality Audio, using PCM/WAV will yield the best. However, that might not be an available option depending on the format, or the CODEC chosen. People here can make recommendations on which format, which CODEC and which settings will give you the best results. You will have to tell them what you wish, and how you plan on doing the delivery of these files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                      Belatamas Level 1

Thank you Hunt and Steve for your responses.

Hunt, I swill pursue the issue you raised with regard to increasing the memory. I do in fact have two hard drives, one dedicated to programs and my files, consisting of a C and D drives, (approx 400 GB) and another one dedicated to my video, (also about 400 GB).  In addition I have an external dive of 1000 BG to store data, like old AVI files from my camcorder.  But I will pursue the RAM size as you suggested.

I also note the way you deal with sound problems, which is very similar to what I have been doing.  I will look at the two programs you suggested.  I find the ‘wind noise’ coming through my camcorder a bit annoying.  Would the second (magic) help me with this? By the way, I have a Sony DCR-HC40E Pal camcorder. 

Steve, many thanks for your suggestion to posting one question at a time.  Also for the way to create Presets.  I tried it but as yet I have not succeeded. I am not sure where I am going wrong, but I will keep trying.

Tom

• 8. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Re creating a preset -- if you'll tell us what you're doing, we'll be able to tell you what you're doing right or wrong.

• 9. Re: Premier Elemets 7 - Saved file location
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do in fact have two hard drives, one dedicated to programs and my files, consisting of a C and D drives, (approx 400 GB) and another one dedicated to my video, (also about 400 GB).

You might want to look at this ARTICLE for suggestions on the allocation of your HDD's for doing editing work.

I find the ‘wind noise’ coming through my camcorder a bit annoying.

Wind noise is very difficult to eliminate, because of its broad spectrum nature. With something like a 60Hz hum, you can isolate it and treat it. With wind noise, it appears throughout the frequency range. The Magix Audio Cleaning Lab would probably help a little, but that is all that you can expect. Audition would be able to do about the same, but with more "hand-work," and listening.

When I got the Magix program, I thought of it rather as a "toy," and was amazed at how well it worked, when I first really used it. Basically it does one thing, and that is clean up Audio. It is not a full Audio editor in any way, but then the freeware Audacity is pretty good as a straight editor. Just do not expect miracles, especially with problems like wind noise.

Good luck,

Hunt