8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 11:40 AM by Colin Brougham

Need help with font recovery

DomCruor

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a snag. A recent computer mishap required me to do a fresh format and reinstall of my OS. Backed up as much as I could but in my haste I forgot to backup a certain font I had used in a project of mine. I know that if Premiere Pro doesn't find the fonts that has been used in a project file, it rewamps to a generic font.

I do not remember the name of the font I used but it is rather vital that I find it again. I would like to know if there is any way to disable this setting that sets the titles to the generic font and somehow learn the name of the missing font from the file?

Much thanks in advance for any help in this matter

• 1. Re: Need help with font recovery
          Powered by Design Level 4

dont know how to do that but if you have a video you could take a screen shot of maybe someone can tell you what font it is.

not exactly what your looking for but might work.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 2. Re: Need help with font recovery
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Double-click one of your titles that uses the missing font to load up the Titler. After it opens, look down in the very bottom right corner of the entire application window (not just the Titler window). You should see either a red circle with an 'X' or a yellow triangle with a '!'--I can't remember which one will appear, but it's one of those two. In any event, double-click that icon to open the alerts/warnings window--in it, will be listed the name of the missing font. Once you find and reinstall the font, it will be used again in the titles.

• 3. Re: Need help with font recovery
              Harm Millaard Level 7

A 45 year old woman had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital. While on the operating table she had a near death experience.

Seeing God she asked 'Is my time up?'

God said, 'No, you have another 43 years, 2 months and 8 days to live.'

Upon recovery, the woman decided to stay in the hospital and have a face-lift, liposuction, breast implants and a tummy tuck. She even had someone come in and change her hair color and brighten her teeth!

Since she had so much more time to live, she figured she might as well make the most of it. After her last operation, she was released from the hospital. While crossing the street on her way home, she was killed by an ambulance.

Arriving in front of God, she demanded, 'I thought you said I had another 43 years? Why didn't you pull me from out of the path of the ambulance?'

God replied: 'I didn't recognize you!!!!!'

Your situation is somewhat similar. When you ask your wife: 'Honey, I'm looking for something, do you know where it is?'

She may respond: 'Well, if you tell me what you are looking for, I may be able to help'

'That's the problem, I don't know what I'm looking for!!'

The only suggestion is to use Google to refind the missing font.

• 4. Re: Need help with font recovery
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have any printout of the font, this SITE might be able to help. If not, and still with some example of it, there are several font news groups (NNTP), where the subscribers can most often recognize the font.

If the font was installed in your OS, then your backup probably also had the Windows (don't know about Mac) Font folder. It is likely that you can recovery that folder from your backup and place it elsewhere on your system. Then in Control Panel>Fonts, install the fonts in that folder to the system.

On my workstation, I have about 11,000 fonts, though only about 200-300 are ever installed at one time. Any system backup would include the Windows?Fonts folder, though unless I also did my Fonts folder and sub-folder, I'd miss the rest. I periodically burn a DVD-Data of those folders, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, unless you did a low-level format, and have not done that much writing to the HDD, you might be able to recover that font with software like Stellar-Phoenix.

• 5. Re: Need help with font recovery
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Great idea. I was pondering how to do this in PrPro. Were this an InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator file, I'd have used the same method for those programs, as you'd get the font's name. I did not connect that Titler would do the same - duh!

Thanks, you saved me a lot more pondering...

Hunt

• 6. Re: Need help with font recovery
                    DomCruor Level 1

Thanks Colin, that worked like a charm. And thanks to everyone else.

The fonts name was "Greetings". Using it for a silent movie project for the text frames. Unfortunately there seems to be a great many Greetings fonts out there. Oh well best get googling. I'm sure I'll come across the right one eventually.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Need help with font recovery
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If it's a headline font, you might want to start with Chank Diesel's site. The site is under reconstruction, but I think that all of his fonts and font packs are still available from it. He specializes in headline fonts and also a lot of heavy retro-inspited fonts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Need help with font recovery
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

A great resource for free fonts (some of which are actually usable) is dafont.com. Not sure if it's the one you're after, but there is a Greetings font there.