1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 7:35 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4

designline99 Level 1

Upon installation of CS4 Illustrator, I am getting an error that my serial number is not accepted. I had to sign as a trial basis. Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks,

Dina

• 1. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

yep, that is the level of service and performance you will get from Illustrator Team.

Do you know that Adobe knows that there are problems with its installers, but Adobe still refuses to provided updates. I can almost guarantee you that Adobe will blame your OS. (John Nack, Principal Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop, said it: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/12/notes_from_installer_mgmt.html#more)

Adobe is not providing updates for illustrator since 09/04/2007 (ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO!). I really do not know why still selling a bad software.

Maybe tomorrow you can ask them why?

• 2. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
            Jesseham Level 4

There's the Hans we know and love...

• 3. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Where did you buy it? Maybe you just ended up with the wrong installer package, which is not uncommon. Definitely create a support case via phone support to resolve such matters. They can verify such things from there end. Also ask your retailer, whether everything is according to plan...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                designline99 Level 1

I am very disappointed that I paid for a product that I cannot successfully install from the disc. As big a company as Adobe is, why do I have to wait for a solution to my problem during business hours 6am to 5pm Mon-Fri. Do they realize people work for a living? The purchased product is for my home computer.

Why is my serial number not valid? It's the one on the box. I paid for it. Why won't it work for my upgrade? I only want to upgrade my illustrator. I have Creative Suite Premium. I saw an advertisement for upgrade to Adobe Illustrator CS4.

I finally got through today and of course, my call was submitted via overseas. Was it difficult to understand the person (tech support) I  was speaking with? Of course, it was. After many, "excuse me, What?  I'm sorry, What did you just say? Can you repeat that?", I was able to understand that once I get home, he said to get to the screen where it gives me the error and then do some left double clicking on a button while I hold down a couple keys and then I will magically get a six digit Challenge Code. Once I get the Code I have to call them back with it so that they can unlock it. Is this for real?

Once again, i'll have to wait another business day to contact them. I had to sign on using a trial but I shouldn't have to. I just wish upgrading could be easier.

• 5. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                  Skullmaker Level 3

Welcome to the Lousy Versions of Adobe. That is right. Adobe Illustrator team does not provide updates or fix their faulty installers or softwares bugs.

They have that issue since CS3 and they were very proud to ship it with CS4.

How do you feel paying all that money for a lousy software knowing that Adobe knew about the problem but they are still selling it.

What great tech support you received today. You were probably thinking to install the software over the weekend so by Monday your business should be up and running. Well, how do feel a bout the business practices of Adobe now?

Do not waste your time talking to any person. Ask the Manager to solve your problem today! Ask the manager to pretend to be a professional for a day so you can continue with your business.

How sure are you now to buy the new CS5 version?

• 6. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                    designline99 Level 1

Thanks Skullmaker and Myllenium for your understanding regarding this issue.

Are you saying to ask for a manager when I call? Do you have a specific phone number to call regarding this upgrade issue? I'm a little confused because I thought this was a forum to get help from Adobe people and everyone is saying how lousy they are. lol.

I will try this trick tonight regarding the "Challenge Code" and if it doesn't work I will return it and get my money back. I will post again to inform if the trick  works or not.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                      designline99 Level 1

Hi Mylenium

I bought it right from the Adobe site.

• 8. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                        Jesseham Level 4

This is a user to user forum.  From time to time, employees stop by, though that has been few and far between lately.

I don't think there is anyone here who thinks that the serial number/authorization system has helped the user out at all, and there are more than a couple who have been very inconvenienced by it. [I've never had a problem with it however...]

• 9. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

A lot of people in this forum have compliant about this issue since CS4 was released. But the Illustrator Team does not show any interest of helping anyone in this forum. But if you got to Photoshop forum you will find employees like Chris Cox helping people.

Here is the Customer Service Number: 800-833-6687 - 7 days a week - 6am-8pm(Pacific time) and Technical "Support": 800-642-3623 - Monday-Friday - 6am-5pm (Pacific time).

Whatever happens, only talk to the Manager and let him/her know that you have a business to run and you cannot wait for Adobe to Re-train its people to provide a professional service.

You can ask them why Adobe is knowingly selling faulty software and why Adobe is not providing updates for Illustrator since 09/04/2007. Or when an update for CS4 is scheduled?

Also you can go to: http://www.adobe.com/support/creativesuite to read about "Serial Number Issues" (lower left corner) But I have to tell you that only 12 of 229 people found this helpful. (Adobe Quality!)

Good Luck! and let us know.

• 10. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                            [scott] Level 6

Always wit' da negative waves, Moriarty... always wit' da negative waves.

• 11. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                              designline99 Level 1

Aaah..I see now about this forum. So, basically if I have an illustrator issue, don't waste your time here, go to the Photoshop forum because no Adobe Illustrator people want to help. That sucks.

Basically, the tech support guy told me to install it as a trial but why?

I tried the "trick" they told me to do with the double-clicking while holding shift/ctrl. and then pressing the Next Key.

Good thing I asked the guy , What happens if it doesn't work?" because he then said to do the same thing to the cross symbol, which is really the "x" symbol. What a pain in my arse...Well, the Next key as suspected didn't work but SUPRISE, the "X" key got me a Code....So, with the code I'm to contact Adobe with it and they're supposed to release it.

I figured I'd call the first number Skullman gave me, from 6-8pm, but guess what? After a long recording and pressing different numbers, I got to the right department but THEY'RE CLOSED! Main hours are 6am-5pm. And I'll bet I'll get another transfer to an overseas operator tomorrow.

Although I'm not happy with this inconvenience I'm glad I'm getting closer to a solution but it just shouldn't be such a pain.

• 12. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                [scott] Level 6

designline99 wrote:

Aaah..I see now about this forum. So, basically if I have an illustrator issue, don't waste your time here, go to the Photoshop forum because no Adobe Illustrator people want to help. That sucks.

That's a bit harsh. No one here CAN help. You MUST speak to Adobe.

But hey.. with an attitude like that, who cares if you get help.

• 13. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                  designline99 Level 1

Also, do you guys get slowdown when you open or close your ai files? I always get Illustrator (Not Responding) at the top tab and it's sooooooo slow and then it works. That's one of the reasons I thought i would upgrade but w/ my trial for CS4, it's still doing this. ugh!!

• 14. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                    designline99 Level 1

Excuse me, but maybe you misunderstood. Skull Master told me in the previous email that there's not much help from Adobe on this forum and you'll have better luck on the Photoshop Forums when it comes to illustrator issues. I was merely repeating what he had said. Sorry if you took offense.

• 15. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                      designline99 Level 1

Look, I came here to Adobe.com in hopes of finding an answer to a problem that I cannot find through calling Adobe because they're closed.  By phone, they are UNAVAILABLE at this time and the recording said to come here for support on line. You would think coming to Adobe.com I would get online support from Adobe. Little it be known to me, that this forum is not here to support my problem installing more for issues that occur after install. What a big mistake I made. Paaaleeeze, give me a break. If anyone is harsh it's you telling me who cares if anyone helps.

As you can read for yourself, Skull master is a little mad at Adobe but he means well and is helpful to me unlike you.

At the top of my screen it says: Adobe/ Home/Support......Excuse me, that I CAN'T get help here.....

Enought of this bicker...it's a waste of time.I'm just trying to get an answer so that i can get back to work and be creative. Don't be hatin'

• 16. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

This is a misunderstanding and perhaps thee is a slight language difference.

You actually did come to the right place and the answers that were given were correct.

There may have been issues that the users here are not aware of but then as is pointed out they are not
                                        Adobe personnel.

That simply means that the question is sometimes put with a qualifier at the end…is this the right place to come for help with this issue.
                                        Not something you should necessarily know.

Now to many it might not make sense to come to the forum for this type of assistance but to others where else would one go?

If you look at the screen shot the second item is Ask Adobe Support.

I know you are looking for immediate response and a back and forth exchange, we can give you that but not necessarily the answer as well.

So there are several dynamics going on here, you might indeed find the Photoshop Forum to suit you but spend a little more time there
                                        and you might get tired and decide it is more rational over here.

Picture 1.png

• 17. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                          [scott] Level 6

These are User to User forums. Not a direct support route to Adobe. Everyone here is just a user like you are. I understand you are frustrated. But taking an attitude with other users is not conducive to receiving help. No user can help with serial number issues whether it's in the Illustrator forum or the Photoshop forum.

• 18. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                            Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

You are right I said it and let me repeat that for ScottWeichert:

"But the Illustrator Team does not show any interest of helping anyone in this forum. But if you got to Photoshop forum you will find employees like Chris Cox helping people"

ScottWeichert wrote:

That's a bit harsh. No one here CAN help. You MUST speak to Adobe.

But hey.. with an attitude like that, who cares if you get help.

It is not even harsh enough. When was the last time an employee from Illustrator Team help in this type of questions in this forum? Maybe ScottWeichert can prove me wrong and have someone from Illustrator Team to help you with your question. I really hope that he can prove me wrong!

So do not apologize to ScottWeicher who is changing "Illustrator Team" to "no one here can help". You said it right Adobe IS NOT HELPING US!

And the slowdown you are experiencing with CS4, is one of the many bugs that comes with the software:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2064981#2064981

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1986182#1986182

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1927899#1927899

Well, there are lot more, no one from Illustrator Team has help!

So when ScottWeicher says:

ScottWeicher wrote:

Always wit' da negative waves, Moriarty... always wit' da negative waves.

Ask him to provide a solution rather than useless comments.

So ScottWeicher prove me wrong!

Have someone from Illustrator Team to help Dina with her question!

We All are trying to help Dina (except for you and the Illustrator Team). So if you have something helpful for Dina share it, if not, well, we all can see what you are doing here.

But PLEASE, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG (Have someone from Illustrator Team to help Dina with her question)

• 19. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                              [scott] Level 6

I refuse to banter with you Skullmaster. All I've seen you post art inflammatory, hateful comments. You can be helpful when you want, but in general, you're just a caustic person from what I've read.

Again... serial number issues must be dealt with by speaking with Adobe Customer Service. No one here can help you, including any AI Team employees... you MUST speak to Adobe Customer Service. If their hours of operation are a problem for you... well.. you'll need to make time.

• 20. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Matthew Laun did a few days ago and when the Illustrator team has 

caught up with their work they are often here and they can teach you 

Hans a lot about Illustrator.

You would be surprised at the amount of effort they have put into the 

forum.

Hans your history with the forum seems more recent so you may not know 

the history of this forum.

• 21. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                  Skullmaker Level 3

ScottWeicher,

Be a men and apologize to Dina.

She is only looking for help and she does not deserve to be harass by your comments.

Now I know that you cannot prove wrong, The Illustrator Team does not show any interest of helping anyone in this forum plus they have not provide an update for almost 3 years.

You can tell me anything you want, but you must respect people like Dina that the only wish is to solve her problem.

Be a men and apologize to Dina.

• 22. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                    Skullmaker Level 3

Master Wade,

Hello! As always, your comments are balanced and wise. Is hard to argue with you (maybe is the heavy medication), but I respect our difference and I listen to you.

Thank you Sensei!

• 23. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                      designline99 Level 1

Okay, so it took this long to get the answer I needed w/ your screen shot. Thank You, I appreciate you informing me where the PROPER forum is to go for my particular need. A very different response from you as of yesterday when you told me to, ...."wait until tomorrow".

I do appreciate you taking the time for the screenshot. I am getting somewhere with releasing this product and solving my problem but Geez, look at all the drama it caused? I think it's a little ridiculous how some are making me out to be a fool or HOW DARE I COME HERE WITH A SERIAL ISSUE QUESTION? Shame Shame.....

Yes, I am fully aware what a Forum is...it's other "users". And other "users" can share problems and solutions. When I said I'm having a problem upgrading, someone could have said, "Oh yeah, hey I had that happen to me, you hold ctrl/shift and double click Next to get a Code and call Adobe w/ the code. DONE. No, instead I'm the one who is recieving attitude of condescending nature b/c I posted in the INCORRECT FORUM. Well, excuuuuuuuuuse me. I now know the proper Adobe Forum protocol.

• 24. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                        [scott] Level 6

Skullmaker wrote:

[pointless stuff]

Seriously, I graduated high school long ago. Perhaps you need to rethink how you communicate.

• 25. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                          designline99 Level 1

Hi SkullMaster

Thanks for your links on the slowdown of CS4 and for owning up to what you said. I did feel there was some unnecessary comments toward me from some when all I was looking for was an answer.

I do not think a language barrier is the cause of this situation. I understand everyone's english just fine. It appears there are some issues that are going on and I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that Adobe sends me all over the place to answer a simple question. This forum, that forum, it shouldn't matter. People who WANT to help just would and they would KINDLY point me in another direction. Thanks for being one of those people.

I don't expect an apology from anyone, I just wanted some solutions to my problem.

It's unfortunate, there are issues with updates. I hope it resolves itself soon.

Thanks Again,

Dina

• 26. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Wait until tomorrow was an attempt to bring a little relief from the 

stock that you were encountering.

It always looks different in the morning! Wait until tomorrow was a 

good response and a sincere one.

i did not want to write something like calm down it will work out as 

you did not seem to be in a panic just annoyed by the situation.

As for other users giving you the keyboard commands I think you may be 

barking up the wrong tree here as I have never heard of that before

and I can't remember it ever being mentioned. Keyboard short cuts to 

see easter eggs yes but codes never.

This is a give and take the users are not really responsible to insure 

100% comprehension of your situation or issue.

And so you might have to elaborate and try another way of explaining.

I don't think anyone attempted to be rude just trying to make it easy 

for you to deal with the inevitable.

Now for me my recommendation is to try to talk directly with Customer 

Service first, if they are close you have to wait.

I think this makes sense but of course I could have it wrong.

• 27. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                              MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The problem is that you bought the wrong product. You can upgrade from Illustrator CS to Illustrator CS 4. You said you purchased CS Premium, you must upgrade to a CS 4 Suite. You may not purchase upgrades for individual applications within the suite. You need to return the Illustrator CS 4 (you have 30 days since you purchased it online) and then you must purchase either a CS 4 Suite upgrade or purchase a single new version of Illustrator CS 4.

I'm sorry that the customer service representative was more effective in helping you.

Mike Kazlow (forum host, non-employee, in actuality just another user)

• 28. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                designline99 Level 1

I did purchase a single version of Adobe Illustrator CS4.

• 29. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                  designline99 Level 1

You said if I have CS Premium I must buy CS 4 Suite.

You also said, I must buy single new version of Illustrator CS 4. No offense, but this does not make sense to me.

You said I cannot upgrade to a single version of illustrator yet you said I need to get a single version of Illustrator. Please advise. Thanks.

• 30. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                    [scott] Level 6

Suite version requires a Suite to upgrade.

Stand alone version requires a stand alone to upgrade. Or the Special Stand alone > Suite upgrade.

• 31. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                      Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

I was looking at this page: https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&storeRegion=US&nr=0#store=OL S-US&loc=en_us&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/Illustrator&categoryOid=1884066

(probably is completely different from what you saw), and I think is misleading. The update text should not be present in this page because you are looking to buy ONLY Ai CS4 upgrade.

And the link "Upgrade Eligibility" is broken. So there is not any real information that will tell you otherwise. You can bring that up in the conversation.

So I called one of the sales representatives and he told me what Mike Kazlow said.

Do you have a serial number for Freehand 9, 10 or MX? Because that will give you authorization to upgrade to AI CS4.

If not, I will think of something to help you.

• 32. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                        designline99 Level 1

So, isn't the Special Stand alone version of Illustrator what I got? It says Adobe Illustrator CS4. It's the only program I use that I wanted to upgrade. Thanks

• 33. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                          designline99 Level 1

SKULLFriend-

Yep, that was the exact Link where I bought the product.

Unfortunately, when you say conversation, ha, you mean with the overseas operators? I can barely understand them and they can barely understand me. No offense, to anyone but when I make time to call during the day to speak with Adobe I'm speaking to a broken english representative overseas that makes problem solving this issue ten-fold.

Yes, I filled out an online request for assistance with this matter and I have not received a reply.

Yes, I called "Adobe" tech support and the first guy told me that Yes, i can go from CS Premium to just Adobe Illustrator CS4. That is, if he understood my question. He then helped me find a Challenge Code through holding certain keys and pressing on X. It did indeed give me a code. Wade had said it sounded wierd if a User told me to do that. But, no it was Adobe Technical Support telling me that.

The first operator told me to call Adobe Tech Support again with the Challenge Code and then I'll recieve a Response Code to unlock the program.

Being that I have to call from work due to the limited hours of M-F 6am-5pm, I was not at my computer at home. This is for my home computer. I can't even call on the weekend.

So, when I got home, i did the trick of recieving a Challenge Code, called Adobe Tech Support the next day, which was a totally different operator and I had to explain the whole story all over again. And the second operator told me that I can't even upgrade from CS Premium to Adobe Ill CS4. I have to buy the whole Suite. She asks where did you buy it from? I said, from You!!, She said, Did someone say you can upgrade to Adobe Illustrator CS4 from CS Premium? I said, Yes!

She said No, you can't and then transferred me to another customer service rep to set up a Return. So, this is where I'm at. I guess I'll stick with CS forever because upgrading is not beneficial to me. Sure, hope I get my money back.

Dina

• 34. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                            Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

It is sadly funny that you get 2 different responses from Adobe. But this is a great news, call Adobe again, maybe you will get the other employee to help you to finish the transaction.

Please keep a record of the names of the people talking to you with date and time, which can be beneficial in your quest.

Have you considered to buy Freehand 9 (old version software) and with that serial number upgrade to AI CS4? May be a friend is not longer using Freehand and he/she can give you his/her software with the serial number?

I think the ironic part of all of this is that I keep telling people not to buy any new versions until Adobe provides updates again, and here I am helping you to keep the new version.

Good Luck!

• 35. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                              designline99 Level 1

Yes, that is funny. I definately can't tell you how much I appreciate your immediate responses.  Sorry I did'nt answer you before. No, i don't have Freehand. Is that part of CS? Made by Adobe? I'm not familair with it. And I really was only interested in the new illustrator Blob brush because I do alot of freehand drawing. But, oh well. This is too much time and work to get this thing to work.

I will call again, when able, before 30 days, and try to get an operator who may help me like the first operator. If not, it's back in the box it goes and I'll be done with it and I'll invest in Corel.

• 36. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I for one am pleased that you found a solution and when you look back 

you might see the situation a little different as it was only a 

communications problem.

No one did anything wrong and my original suggestion was good one. The 

situation has come up before but I must admit I cannot really that it 

was ever quite so involved.

Good luck when you receive the correct upgrade disk.

• 37. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                                  designline99 Level 1

Huh? You lost me or are you being sarcastic? I really haven't found a solution. The solution is it doesn't work.  I'm returning it. I thought I purchased the correct disc. A single new version of Illustrator. It doesn't work. I guess the only thing that would work is the WHOLE Creative Suite Upgrade. Perhaps that is what you are seeing as the solution. I do not know. But, I for one, don't have that kind of money for entire Creative Suite CS4. I only wanted Illustrator. Oh well.

• 38. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I don't understand you you made a mistake and you are correcting it by 

returning the disk and getting the proper one..

You seem to think you are being attack just because it has been 

pointed out you made a simple mistake in your order.

Hey we all do that nobody faults anyone for informing the user of a 

mistake, this is the first time I have seen this on the Illustrator 

forum.

You have a solution you will get the proper install and it will 

install f=that is all there is to it you made a mistake.

That is your answer.

I understand that you want some how for Adobe to accept the 

responsibility for your mistake but since that would only seem 

rational to Hans (skullmaker)

then it is not going to happen nor should it.

Enjoy Illustrator CS 4 when you get the special upgrade.

• 39. Re: Upgrade from CS to Illustrator CS4
                                                                                      Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Dina,

Wade is right, return the software, get your money back and invest it in Corel Products.

And next time you find yourself thinking of buying Adobe products, please remember Wade telling you: "everything is your fault!"

I can not believe that I agree with Wade for the first time: Do Not Purchase the CS4 upgrade!

Maybe that is why I have not wasted my money on CS4; lots of Critical bugs, No updates, Unfriendly "Help", etc.

Thank you Wade!

1 2 Previous Next